Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working in a Server Room 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTBC

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
We're moving buildings and my boss has a great idea!

Rather than having an office, I'll be given a desk in the server room to save space.
Could you please let me know any health and safety reasons/legal implications that mean this is a dumb idea.

Thanks guys.

Who cares about facts, tell him whatever you want to get out of that BS server room. It is total BS that they would even consider it an option, and tell them the servers create radon, ozone, EMF, ESP, PCP, and whatever else you can think of.

Chances are the company makes up whatever they want most of the time to support their position, so make some stuff up if you have to, and also, get your hearing, and the sound level checked, and documented.

I'm not sure whether the server room has external windows (ours doesn't), but I'm sure I've seen something regarding staff having some sort of readily available access to natural light. That said, it's maybe only applicable in the UK, EU or whatever.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

but I'm sure I've seen something regarding staff having some sort of readily available access to natural light. That said, it's maybe only applicable in the UK, EU or whatever

That can't be true, our main building is 7 feet of concrete, with no windows... and an airlock entrance...

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Indeed - seems it's just a recommendation rather than a requirement.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

One thing I've often heard is switching between two climate areas (such as going from warm weather outside to an indoors AC enviornment) can wreck havoc with different parts of your respitory system if you do it too often. Such problems as: dry-throat; nasal congestion/dryness that leads to nosebleeds; and general respitory health reduction.

Personally I seem to have more nasal problems during the summer than during the times when AC use isn't all that common.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

I worked in a server room for the better part of three years. It's not fun, but it can be done.

That said, create a list of reasons as to why you believe it is a bad idea.
-Temperature
-Humidy
-Noise
-Change control
-Security
-etc.

I'd suggest tactfully bringing these issues up to your management. Good luck!

As to such stuff as wireless networks, the power level on them is much less than a watt - hardly worth talking about. 240VAC at 50 or 60 Hz puts out essentially no radiation.

That is up for debate, I can find a lot of websites that contradict the example you gave above, as for what the truth is, who knows, but I'd be of sound mind to stay away from large machines like that.

[monkey][snake] <.

monksnake said:
I can find a lot of websites that contradict the example you gave above

Who quote peer-reviewed scientific studies?

Show me a study that broadcast engineers (who deal with devices that can put out up to 2 MW of power) have a higher incidence of cancer than the general population.
We are not talking about a nuclear reactor here. This is electronic equipment. Perhaps we need to all go back to slide rules?

For the record, back in the 70's I did work as a broadcast engineer, no more than 30 feet from a 2 MW TV transmitter. I still have the FCC license.

Noise, security, temperature, are all valid reasons for not wanting to be in the server room - but EMF is not one of them.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Based on the amount of hostility I sense from your replies, to what I've written, I do think you've gotten exposed to a little bit too much EMF.

[monkey][snake] <.

He's right, though. There is no proof.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

If you think talking to another person in a datacenter is hard, try talking to someone on the phone in that same room. It's fairly difficult.

When I build a data center or server room, my mission is to design things so that people rarely have to go in there. Other than a hardware issue, nearly 100% of everything else is done remotely.

I certainly wouldn't want someone permanently assigned in there. 'cuz then you've got someone at their desk, trying to concentrate, eating their snickers bar and drinking their Mt. Dew. All of those things are better suited outside of that room!

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

We have 3 system Operators in our Server Room 24/7. Coming from that position, it is not a good work environment.
Our air conditioning systems keep the room very cold. The noise from the servers make phone conversations difficult. Also, with space at a premium, the operators have moved their desks within the computer room 3 times.

Make sure you have your coffee in hand for the meeting(in the server room). Then accidentally spill it on the floor. Your boss might change his mind then, about his great idea.

I'd check out your local statutory Health and Safety regulations - I bet a server room contravenes them!

If your organisation has an H&S Officer, ask for a risk assessment - that'll kill the idea.

Rosie
"Don't try to improve one thing by 100%, try to improve 100 things by 1%

Also check the company's insurance policy. We have just had to remove all non-essential flamable material from our computer rooms.

Therefore, no paper, no boxes, no unused cables, etc. This could make working in there very difficult.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

If you use AndrewTait's advice, I'd also point out that humans are flammable items [pipe], so you really shouldn't have to work there, lest you become an insurance risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back