Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server naming schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
I was just wondering if anyone else uses any unique server/workstation naming schemes instead of the old bland "Mail_server_1" "SQL_Server_4", etc...

Personally all my primary servers are named after Star Wars Planets (i.e. Coruscant, Hoth, Tatooine). Secondary servers are named after Star Wars Moons (I.e. endor, Yavin 1, Lok). I used to name the workstations after characters in the movies (Han_Solo, Luke_Skywalker, etc...) but my users started requesting certain names so I had to put the kibosh to that.

Anyone else?

-Al

We go for boring ones...a network scan reveals:

Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Uhura, Scotty, Checkov, Sulu, Khan, Enterprise, Riker, Troi, Picard, Tribble, Mudd, Sarek, Rand...

Anyone spot the connection? Half my users don't!

Do you have ignornant users or what????

Let me guess, they think it's 'Star Wars'?

Leslie

Name 'em, "Bill or George---anything but 'Sue' "!

Jim

Zel

Just think how few would get it if you went for Avon, Dayna, Servalan etc.....

Rosie

As an aside, did you know Paul Darrow recently bought the rights to the show and is making a few TV movies! Not sure if he's starring or not, but rock on Avon!!!

Gan was always the best character and bizarrely has a similar IQ to all of my users put together!

<Aside> Yes, I'd heard. Sounds like Blake's 7 TNG. You know they've been doing reruns at some ungodly hour am, keep meaning to set the video.
Personally, Servalan was always my heroine.

As to my user's IQ's, no - this could turn into a very long aside and someone would have throw a bucket of water over me - been a very bad week. </aside>

I've always fancied the idea of mythology as a basis for server naming: Arachne for the web server, Minerva for data, Mercury for the mail....

BTW, I have to change the patch cable that runs between 2 of the above units due to a problem. Turns out this cable is &quot;Kirk to Enterprise&quot; which caused an unexpected smile from me when I realised...

Right now we're doing the greek mythology thing, Apollo, Zeus, Titan... but I think any new servers I get are just going to be greek letters, alpha, beta, omega, etc...

Zel
vaguely professional and extremely clever... nicest thing anyone's said to me this week [smile].

Cerberus for the firewall, Atlas for the GIS... And why stick to Greek & Roman? Galahad for the back-up, Loki for the test server.. Once you start thinking about it, the possibilities are endless.

Liked the patch cable one, how do you announce that some of the servers are down with a straight face?

A med school I was associated to used generic drug names. Aspirin was alright, but I used to curse at desoxymethasone, flucloxacillin, and methylprednisone. Later the administration changed, and the Sun Solaris systems were eventually retired. The NT names were boring Med-SU1, Med-Path5 etc.

I have always liked animal and flower names e.g. Zebra, Cheetah, Rhinoceros, or Rose, Daisy, Sweetpea etc, since there is a huge choice before you have to hit the latin generic names.

I do remember in NT4's heydey, it was reported in the UK press that one company used the names of disasters, as that was their opinion of the general reliability of NT 4, so their servers were named Titanic, Hindenberg, Vesuvius, Challenger etc.

John

I've done work in a shop where servers are named for trees and shrubs: REDOAK, WHITEOAK, APPLE, PLUM, SANDCHERRY, SUGARMAPLE, YEW, GINKO, etc. Sort of a &quot;server orchard&quot; instead of a farm.

Captain Kirk went live yesterday out of hours complete with a 6.8TB backup device (that is currently called BMF for reasons too obvious to detail) and with no one working other than us it means that we didn't even have to stop for users!

Going back to (my interpretation) of he point of the question…..

Where I currently work, our servers all have a local designation followed by _sv1, _sv2 etc. If I find it difficult to remember what is held on which server, what chance for the users?

Giving servers a “proper” name allows users to identify with the server, “Minerva “is a lot easier than “xyz_123”.

When i started the network naming scheme was Lord of the rings characters, it is now somewhere along these lines, these are just a small sample of several.

Arthur Barbera Billgates Biscuitman Charlie Dellboy Demon Dilbert Dozyflorence Earwig Ernie Frodo Gandalph Ghandi Garymegson Jimmyhill Malcolm Maurice Mervyn Muppet Nugget Pachino Patmanackers Pires Pontius Rolfharris Spud Thierry e.t.c.

Servers or test machines tend to be {company name}SVR1,2,3, e.t.c.

I have a drive mapped on here by our &quot;network admin&quot; called //data/files, <sarcasm>I dont think we can more descriptive then that</sarcasm>. All of the client machines aprear to be named sa1 through 90 with &quot;laptop&quot; in there. I can only imagine what would happen if I brought my laptop (Taz) and but it on the network :)

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

isn't that why they invented alias records on DNS?

data A 192.168.0.1
UsersMP3Server Host 192.168.0.1
Management A 192.168.0.2
BossesPersonalData Host 192.168.0.2

:)

I've always wanted to use Squeefus, Squeaphus, Squiefus, Skweafus, ....

Jeff
If your mind is too open your brains will fall out...

Or my favorite:
[tab]Their, There, and They're
;-)

&quot;Where'd you put the file?&quot;
&quot;It's over there&quot;

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back