Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Clearance-How to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXJay

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hi to all,

I'm looking into IT/Telecom positions in the NH/ME/MA area and I see quite a few postings that require security clearance Secret or TS etc. How do I go about obtaining it? It seems to be a catch 22. You can't get it unless it is offered by an employer and you can't get the job unless you have it, plus it expires with in 6 months from what I have seen on the web. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jay

Jay

I am a system admin for the Air Force and I had never had a security clearance before coming here. The job stated, "must have or be able to pass" and what ever level that is. I came on and they started on mine and I just worked on the clearance paperwork first thing when I got here. The paperwork was Hell so much detail and people who have to know you from year to year. If you have ever been out of the country and what dates. [hairpull3] I thought man I will never pass this but they really only contacted a few people on my list and I think that as long as you’re not a card carrying member of the communist party [lol] you should be fine.

Michael

The vast majority of new security clearances are given to military personnel and government workers. The government can afford to keep these people on board doing something else for the long period of time it takes to do the investigation (they are way behind on doing them), but most companies cannot do this. Therefore they hire mostly people who have recently left the military or government service. I know of no instance around here (I live in an area with a high proportion of jobs requiring clearances.) where a company has been willing to take the risk of hiring someone without a clearance in order to get him or her one later. I suppose you could get a job with one of these contractors on a non-classified project and hope they are willing to put you in for a clearance.

Before the John Walker case, companies and government agencies used to grant interim clearances until the official clearance came through. But the spy case pretty much ended that practice. So if you haven't recently left the military, your chances of getting a job where they will put you in for a clearnace are very slim unless you have some very rare specialized skill and they can't find anyone with a clearance.

I think you have summarized the situation beautifully.
To my knowledge, you cannot get one unless your employer requests it. You cannot get employed by anyone without it, unless they are willing to carry you along while awaiting your clearance to come through (good luck with that!). Given the surplus of IT workers right now (many of whom already have their clearance), I think you might as well write off the listings that mention a clearance.

I got mine by spending 20 years in the Air Force; I guess they figured since I was in Basic Training for six weeks anyway, they could afford the wait!

Elbert, CO
1510 MST

Any idea if they'll grant an exception (or perhaps a speedy investigation) if you had a clearance, but then it expired?

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Thanks for the input. Confirms what I found out so far...
I'll keep pounding away at the regular boards.

-Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back