Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCN Calls dropping after a couple hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLLeBoeuf

Technical User
Sep 28, 2006
US
I have a Small community network with 6 systems, 4 are running 4.0.7 and the other 2 are running 3.2.57, The main site hosts centralized voicemail, all sites are tied together by frame relay. The data links are good, but inter-site calls are failing after a couple hours. HELP!!!!!

Also, I've disabled allowed direct media path. No change. HELP AGAIN!!

i have heard that frame relay is known for dropping packets. the first thing i would do is make all the systems the same release. Can you see anything in SSA? Which sites are dropping calls?

How is your IP Line and IP Route topologys set.
Meshed or Star.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

JLLeBoeuf and I are working together on this issue, thanks to all for your input.

All sites are dropping calls... the calls actually become one way - one side of the conversation can hear, but the other can't. The IP lines are set up in a star configuration - there are IP lines for all sites on the "main" site, then each branch site has an IP line configured to the main site.

what kind of routers are you using? are they the latest version? one way voice is usaully some sort of routing problem.

We've got up-to-date Cisco 2800's in all locations. The Cisco's aren't dropping any voice packets, but when the issue happens we do notice a large drop off in the amount of voice traffic.

Another item that may be of interest... this SCN has been up and running for over a year at 3.1.xx. We upgraded over the weekend which seems to have broken something.

Just curious, but did you upgrade all of them? If you did, why did you upgrade them to two different versions? Your first step should be to get them on the same release.

We did upgrade all of them... 2 IP406 units were PCS7 and therefore didn't have the required memory. Replacements are on the way, hopefully to be delivered tomorrow.

I upgraded the two boxes that could not go to 4.0.7 to 3.2.57 so that they would be "more compatible" with the 4.0 systems on the SCN. Perhaps an error in judgement, but it seemed to make sense that the latest 3.2 version would be more compatible with 4.0.

I hope to have them all up to 4.0 in short order, but need to stabilize the systems in the mean time.

Monitor doesn;t yield anything that looks particularly helpful.

i think you are somewhat correct. you could probably make two different versions work for SCN, but it is not recommended.

Does the IP line just seem to lose complete connectivity after a couple of hours or does it just not work the correct way after a couple of hours. Say after two hours you dial someones extension number at another site, what happens, does it ring, busy, voicemail???

While I haven't pinned down the specific timing as of yet, after some period of time (hours) the IP line at the main site seems to lose it's two way communications... calls can come in over the SCN and the callers at the remote site can talk and hear but at the main site you can't hear the caller... but they can hear you.

I called our distributor a number of times before the upgrade and was told that multiple version over SCN would work... now they also say "it should work, but it's not recommended."

Digging through some monitor logs I found the following:

20946413mS ERR: H.450 CANNOT PACK OPAQUE TRANSFER IDENTITY...so for V3p2 ONLY force to Q.SIG payload.

Could this be a clue?

Do you have the H450 help selected under all the IP Line tabs?

Yeah, all IP lines have H450 selected, all use G729a codec and voice networking is selected for all.

thanks gknight... at this point, something is better than nothing.

SCN is supported between 3.2 and v4.

SCN is supported on revisions that are no further that one Major revison apart.

3.2 - 4.0 ok

3.0 - 3.1 ok

3.1 - v4 not ok

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACS - IP Office Implement
ACE - IP Office Implement
ACI - IP Office Implement

Cool... so I did the right thing by upgrading the systems that needed replacements from 3.1 to 3.2.57.

Hoping to get some kind of answer from Catalyst today or an escalation - the customer is getting PISSED!

I performed a reboot on the system at 7:45 AM to try and get some stability for as long as possible into the work day, but suspect I'll have to reboot again at some point today.

We did upgrade all of them... 2 IP406 units were PCS7 and therefore didn't have the required memory. Replacements are on the way, hopefully to be delivered tomorrow

Did you check this with monitor ???
i have three 406v2 pcs up to 4.0
some of the pcs7 already have the bigger memory

ps one way speach is 99.9% a routing problem

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back