Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlwind5uk

Technical User
Aug 25, 2011
GB
Hi All,

I did a scheduled upgrade on a 3300MXE III from MCD 6.0 to 7.0 last night, however it failed doing the software activation/upgrade part.

I have checked the logs and there is a message saying to check the inactive software partition logs. Not something I've done before - can someone advise how to do this?

Never done this either but the first thing I would try is to FTP to the controller and go to /inactive/sysro/install <-- (You have to type this path manually if using a gui client like Filezilla)
There is an install.old file there to check. Otherwise poke around the /inactive/sysro directories to look for log files.

Does it have access to the amc
Is SWA active for the arid

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Turns out the upgrade had completed (version 13.0.0.83) was showing on the inactive partition, but something had changed on the database between the install and activation so the system backed out. I think what had changed was an alarm had appeared.

Have cleared the alarm, so will attempt again next week.

From the update doc for MCD 5.0

Code:
A software upgrade cannot proceed if:
• the system has any alarms greater than minor severity
• there is insufficient RAM
• another event is running (all active events are suspended while the upgrade proceeds)
• a Programmed Reboot or Programmed Failback is pending

So as you said there might have been an alarm. Would have been greater than Minor to stop upgrade though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back