Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SalesSpeak

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxHead

Technical User
May 6, 2001
US
I was looking at leasing a car awhile back. The salesman was very enthusiastic about explaining the "Guaranteed Value" part of the deal. I could lease the car for five years and they would absolutely guarantee that the value of the car would remain much higher than if I purchased the car and tried to sell it at the end of five years.

So, I asked. My choices are
A: I could buy the car, drive it for 5 years and then bring it back to sell it to you for some low dollar amount, or
B: I could lease the car, drive it for five years and then come back to buy it from you at a much higher price?

Not the sharpest crayon in the box, I'd guess, the salesman grinned even bigger and said, "Exactly!"

I guess part of me has to admire the trainer who got him so enthusiastic about this "selling point", but I also wonder if there are other examples of really, really stupid things that salespeople have said to others where it was obvious that they weren't paying a bit of attention to what they were saying.

Or, along slightly different lines, SalesSpeak that has gained acceptance through repetition.
Example: I have to assume that it was a tool salesman who coined the phrase, "A craftsman is only as good as his tools."

They don't want a waiting room because the more you walk around the store the more likely you are to purchase something else.

hawks,

I realized their aim - that if I walked around the store, I might buy something else. As if.

No way they would win this one.

So I walked about the store looking like a really unhappy customer.

Then I went outside to have a smoke and let all the new arrivals see a really unhappy customer having a smoke.

Then I went back inside to look more unhappy than before.

Then I went outside to have another smoke and let all the new arrivals see a really pissed-off customer having a smoke (for the second damn time).

Grrr (still!)
Tim

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

Tim,
Still pissed at Best Buy...
Don't get me started...I could go on for hours about the abject evilness of Best Buy. But one little tidbit--I read that they were going to 'fire' a certain segment of their customers.

Yes--they used the word 'fire'--they will track customers who only buy the loss-leaders (the sale items that are sold at or below cost to get you in the door) and--and this is where the article was murky--get rid of the customers. I don't know how--an outright refusal at the register, a fingerprint scan at the front door--but the exec definitely expressed displeasure that the loss-leader tactic was being 'taken advantage of'.

The irony there is just infuriating.
Ok...I'm done...
--Jim

Jim,

Before I went to "Best Buy," I visited Office Max. After looking around a bit, and seeing NO computers, I asked an employee "Is Office Max out of the computer business?"

He said, "Man, Office Max is going out of the Office Max business. This store's closing March 4h."

I always thought the location was odd (not Raleigh, per se, just the location within Raleigh).

Tim

said yesterday.
[/blue]

I am so pissed with Best Buy but where else to go?
My second choice usually is Circuit City but they never have nearly selection of computers and electronics as BB has. BB I think is sort of monopoly now and I pray every time I buy from them for this 'product' to work and for me not to return there...

I find I can usually get a better deal online or by calling in by phone. ALWAYS avoid the question "What catalog are you looking at?" as that pins you down to a particular price list. I use things like...my friend says you have a good price on Toshiba (substitute as necessary) laptop computers.

In fact, you can sometimes do real well online if there is a model they are trying to discontinue, as long as that model has the computing power that you need.

Although you need to pay shipping, you save on sales tax which can be a wash.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

but where else to go?
CRilliterate
I don't know your geographic location, but in the states Frye's is an excellent alternative, as is Microcenter. Also, TigerDirect has been my personal favorite--they're reliable about shipping on time, and have decent prices. I'm lucky enough to live near one of their major warehouse hubs, and can use their warehouse store or the will-call desk and pick up on the spot.

I will, however, go to Bestbuy for the loss-leaders. I'm definitely one of the customers they want to fire. I was so upsest with them about one of those 'add-on warrantys' that I purposely took nearly 2 hours of their time getting educated on the pros & cons of each big-screen tv, and when I made my decision, I went two block down and purchased it from Circuit City. And I let Best Buy know it in a letter when I complained about the other warranty issue. I'm sure it did little to change them, but I felt I did my little part.
--Jim

Ahhh, the "price" of large volume stores. We love the prices, hate the service, but we still go to them! I'm just as guilty.

Whenever I go into one, whether it be my local big orange home store (no more local hardware stores) or an electronics store, I brace myself for the inevitable lack of knowledgeable employees. The ugly balance between hiring enough employees to cover the floor (more for upkeep and shoplifting control), keeping payroll in line, and "satisfying" the public.

Short of pointing out the location of an item, I dread needing to ask a question. I don't mind, and I appreciate the simple "I'm not sure, let me get someone who can answer that." But even that seems to have disappeared along with the employee who could answer my question.

But employees also expect decent living wages. Now I stop before starting a completely new topic.

Nick

To sugar-code the pill I have to say in my Orange Store there are so many knowlegeable employees I am impressed.
Guess one lucky one, huh? BB is 1/2 mile from Home Depot and totally opposite.
- I want to buy camcorder...
-camcorder...
-what can you suggest?
-here all the camcorders that are for sale
-is there particular one you would recommend
-yes, anyone...
BWHAHAHAHAHA........................

I can't stand BestBuy, but if I need it right now and Intrex doesn't have it, then I have to give in and use BB. I tend to walk around with a purposeful stride and an almost pissed off look to keep the sales people at bay :)

barcode_1.gif

Speaking of keeping salepeople at bay, I discovered something that works like a charm.

One day I was strolling around some car dealerships at a local auto mall, just looking. Normally a salesperson will come out and attach himself to you like a remora. I saw a car that my girlfriend might like so I called her on my cell phone. The salesman came out, but stopped about ten feet away because I was on the phone. I acknowleged him, but kept talking. He kept his distance. I stayed on the phone as I went from dealership to dealership with the same results. I just had to make sure the salesperson saw the phone before they entered "the zone". It was like I had a salesperson force field.

What if someone has no girlfriend???

Hmmm... Reminds me of a few phone salespeople I've gotten rid of:

Code:
s - Is Mr. <insert name here> there?
m - No, I'm sorry but he passed away two weeks ago. <sob>
s - Is there a Mrs. <insert name here> there?
m - BWAAAA --- SHE COMMITTED SUICIDE TWO DAYS LATER -- OH WHY MOM WHY!?!!?
s - <click>

I've also found with shopping at car dealerships it really works to tell the sales rep that I'm unemployed, and hoping to buy a really cool car someday when somebody finally gives me that really great job with lots of money. They run like hell!!! (dress casual for that one)

As for BB and thier policies... If one of thier buildings were on fire I would not urinate to help put the flames out.

WOWOWOW! Stella! You should know what?

CRilliterate,
Of course I do. Neither I nor my husband have a girlfriend.
Who would we talk on the phone to when a salesperson is approaching?

I hit "Submit" too early.

I should know that not having a girlfriend becomes a real hardship when dealing with salespeople. See reasons above.

Stella,

Of course, the answer is to be talking to the Welfare Rep about your benefits.

I'll never forget the summer after my high school graduation. Five of my buddies and I were trying to find an affordable condo for a week at the beach. We met at one guy's house and started calling numbers from the ads where rentals were listed.

If the weekly rate was excessive, we always asked if they accepted Food Stamps. Made for a really short sales pitch.

Juvenile? Yes! But we giggled ourselves silly.

Tim

P.S. - Best damn vacation I ever had! (If you haven't already done so, at least once, I Highly recommend turning 18 at Myrtle Beach, SC.)

said yesterday.
[/blue]

I've permantly gotten rid of stocks and bonds sales people. My routine goes like this:
SalesRep: blah, blah, blah, and right now we can get you invested for only a small fee.
Me: How much do I need to invest?
SalesRep: As little as <any amount>.
Me: WOW! That's more than I make in a year!
SalesRep:<click>

After they hang up, they put me on their do not call list in milliseconds. That list seems to propigate throughout the industry and in a little while, they stopped calling.

:)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Jim,

I GOTTA remember that one! Brilliant!

Tim

said yesterday.
[/blue]