Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Returning to programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonPendragon

Programmer
Apr 21, 2002
GB
hello folks,

I was a programmer (PL/1) a few years ago before taking up teaching(mathematics) in England - a big mistake ! - now I'm "testing the waters" for a return to programming - I would be grateful for any help no matter how small...

My desire is to work from home,(I CAN'T STAND corporate environments,)perhaps contract work....

I noticed that VB and Java were recommended on another thread..... What skills should I learn ? What types of markets are there out there ? how should I proceed ? any suggestions ?

Thanks
SimonPendragon

PL/1 is not used much, I would learn C/C++, learn object oriented design and dev. Frankly in the US this is the worst time to consider programming. Also working from home is not possible in the US - I know because I have tried it
and it is harder than getting a good job (which is also hard). Getting contracts is easier because the bastards are
too cheap to pay medical insurance. Pay is half what it used to be a year ago. My last contract I got $60 in sacramento which is great pay. Now I would be lucky to get
$30.

techwriter56's position is supported further by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics's Occupational Outlook Handbook. Here's a link to the entry for programmers:

For what it's worth, the handbook predicts some of the fastest growth in databases and networking; just like the trade publications say. (See and
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back