Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset ALL codecs ...how ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinCouture

Technical User
Feb 16, 2002
CA
Everytime I simply left click once a media file (.mpg) all of explorer crashes.

I would like to delete or reset all codecs I have. I have tried to re-install Windows Media Player 10, some codec packs, ffdshow, you name it... Now I just want to avoid doing the format c: thing.

I have MCE 2005, a Twinhan DVB-S card (1020), Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and on-board sound (AC3 to sound system)

At one point everything was working fine, Sat TV, MCE2005 and the WinTV PVR 150. What I tried to do was to make the Sat TV mpeg 2 video get decoded by the hardware mpeg2 decoding in the PVR150. Well it didn't work, I guess I'll have to read more on graphs and graphedit.

help!

Marty

-----------------
[flush]

Have you tried using System Restore and going back to before your problem?

Some codec information and links via this thread.

.avi files won't show video
thread779-1104138

I made the mistake of re-installing MCE2005 on top of this mess, so no pre-codec-disaster restore point...

The thread for avi files: Tried GSpot 2.52 but it couldn't identify .mpg files, only .avi

If I browse a folder with mpg files with thumbnails, it crashes.

-----------------
[flush]

Thanks Linney but it still crashed...

I'll try deleting every codec I can find (control panel, sound and audio devices / hardware / video codecs) and then install that package again...

-----------------
[flush]

Well I got close... Explorer does not crash anymore ! The video files play normally now.

The only major point is Media Center (2005)... it crashes when I try to watch live TV. I re-installed the PVR150 drivers and software, disabled then re-enabled the board.

So after 8 DVDs of backing up data, I'll have to re-install.

Thanks for your help linney!

-----------------
[flush]

Try the latest version of DirectX. To download the latest version of DirectX, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Windows XP Media Center Edition Computer Restarts When You Watch LIVE TV

Frequently asked questions about the product support options and known issues of Windows XP Media Center Edition

If you type "Live TV" in the Help and Support program's Search Box (whilst online) it will throw up several other semi-related articles from the MSKB.

Well you saved the day !

I'll name my next child linney !

I think direct-x did it, but now everything is back and working great. I did the same thing on my laptop, it was also a codec mess.

Thanks for your help!

-----------------
[flush]

Don't handicap any future children on my behalf, your thanks are much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back