Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry Hack - Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfatroundguy

Technical User
Nov 27, 2005
US
Does anyone know how to remove "Eject PC" from the Start Menu with a registry hack?

No, this is not a wind up. I have a notebook computer that is ACPI-compliant (thus it support hot docking/undocking). When docked, the Start Menu from bottom upwards reads, ShutDown, Eject PC, Log Off ..., Run, Help, Find etc. I am tired of accidently selecting Eject PC instead of Shutdown and would like to "hack" it out of the Start Menu listing. Just about everything else can be hacked out so I thought this might be as well. It is possible to do under WinXP/2K. have you any ideas?

thank you for the suggestion. i found this link and tried. it didn't work. for the record, here are the hacks i tried that failed (i believe your suggestion is either the 1st or 2nd)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentDockInfo]
"EjectableDocks"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentDockInfo]
"EjectableDocks"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuEjectPC"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuEjectPC"=dword:00000001

your easter egg url definitely gets to it.

your 2nd url clearly highlites it.

so what do you think, is it possible to remove?

Sounds like some kind of prank to me. I've no idea of a solution.

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

System Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentDockInfo
Value Name: EjectableDocks
Data Type: DWORD Value
Value Data: (0 = disable Eject PC, 1 = default)

By setting the "EjectableDocks" value to 0x00000000 (0) in the key below the "Eject PC" option will be removed from the start menu next time you log into the system.

As this is a dynamic value it is detected and updated automatically by the system whenever the computer is restarted. To maintain it's state set at "0" a reg file must be imported automatically on every restart.

To automatically run this tweak on startup, save the noeject.reg file to your Windows directory. Then add a new string value called "NoEject" at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and set the value to "regedit /s c:\winnt\noeject.reg" (changing the filename and path as needed).

LOB, thank you for the suggestion. I was not aware of dynamic values like this. In any event, I did try it but unfortunately, it did not work. I verified that it was getting the value written to the registry in the manner you instructed through the Run command. While it did write to the registry, it did not have the desired effect. I also tried writing it to HKLM\Sytem\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB as there appeared to be other related entries there. still didn't work.

I note from you response that you reference winnt. could it be that this hack works in NT and not Win98?

any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back