Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record size limit reached, record can not be added 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shedders101

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2015
GB
Hi,

I'm having an issue with something I need to do in IP Office and wondered if anyone here knows a way round this.

Our company contains a B2B telesales department and, for reasons I can't change, they have to do their own research and call the business numbers they find directly.
This means we have to deal with a number of 'Please dont call us again' requests per day. We honour these by having a Telesales User Rights collection in IP Office and adding these requests as barred numbers using the short codes section. This has worked perfectly well up until today, when I tried to add another and received the message "Record size limit reached, record can not be added". Does anyone know what the limit is on the number of shortcodes and whether it can be changed? Also, is there an alternative way to do this in IP Office?

Many thanks

You could try putting those numbers in the system shortcode section instead of the user right shortcode section.

Hi Perfs, we have a temporary solution which is similar, putting them in the ARS. Some short codes at user level override the ones at system shortcode level. Basically, at user level there is 9N set to dial (9 gets an outside line), so 9ANYTHING at system short code level is overridden by this. We could move the 9N into system shortcodes but that would have other knock-on effects for us. It works at ARS level for now. We're aware that this will also be finite. We could add additional ARS to let us go beyond the short code limit on a single ARS. We're aware that there could be a performance impact on the system eventually from adding more and more blocked numbers, so that's something we will need to plan for. No-one at the helpdesk we use seemed to know what the actual limits on short codes were. That would be handy to know.

According to Avaya there shouldn't be a limit on shortcodes, it only affects the size of the configuration file.

User Shortcodes uses 4 times more configuration space than a system shortcode.
The size of the configuration file allowed depends on your hardware.

There is a limit of 150 shortcodes per ARS though.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Thanks Janni. That's more useful information than I've managed to extract from the BT IP Office helpdesk!
Don't suppose you know if it's possible to increase the allowed size of the config file?
Also, do you know if the config space used by ARS shortcodes is the same as that used by system short codes?
thanks

1) The size of the config is limited by the phycical size of the memory in the IP office so no it cannot be increased
2) This is not the way to implement the do not call register. there are companies arround who will do this for you correctly

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Another better* alternative to using system short codes would be to use Databas integration with VM Pro & then validate all outbound calls against a stored black list.
this black list could also be directly updated from the phone, reducing the admin requirements to the system

(Better than using shourt codes but not as good as using an external service that validates all numbers witht he TPS database.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Hi IPGuru,

Where could I find out more about Database integration with VM Pro? This system was installed for us by BT and I probably only understand a quarter of what's going on in there! It's been enough to do what we needed up to now, with the assistance of their helpdesk. TBH, I thought VM Pro was only in use on incoming calls, not outgoing ones.
Re: Third party vetting - The numbers we are blocking aren't just TPS, they are ones where we've been asked to not contact again. We don't work from bought lists of numbers, so the vetting options I've seen out there don't work for us.

Hi IPGuru,
How do I find out more about database integration with VMPro?
thanks

Start the Voicemail Pro client. Press F1. Read.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Ok, thanks. Did that. Seems we have the Linux version so database controls are greyed out.

Linux Voicemail Pro added database support in 10.1. Works with PostgreSQL and MySQL databases.

Thanks. We're having our second extended period of outage with the system in 6 months currently and now we're being told the cause is we have too many shortcodes in the config and the system isn't designed to handle large numbers of those. Space-wise there is 5GB free on the SD card and the config file is only 260k in size. janni78 said earlier...

"According to Avaya there shouldn't be a limit on shortcodes, it only affects the size of the configuration file.
User Shortcodes uses 4 times more configuration space than a system shortcode.
The size of the configuration file allowed depends on your hardware."

I haven't heard directly from anyone at Avaya, just BT, so I can't confirm or refute what janni78 said.

Space on the SD card has nothing to do with it - when the system is running, the cfg file has to unpacked into the system's RAM memory along with other bits of code and that's the limited size pool. That said, the config on an IP500 V2 is supposed to be able to be up to 2MB* (like most IT capacity statements, its a good rule to assume that above 2/3rds capacity, things will probably start to get awkward and slowed down).

The danger is that there used to be no limit on Incoming Call Routes, so some people programmed up silly loads of call routes and Avaya felt forced to impose a limit. Complain too much about shortcodes and they may do the same.

You haven't actually said as far as I can see what sort of number of short codes we are talking about?

It's somewhere between 1000 and 1300, thereabouts.
I was adding them to user shortcodes originally (as directed by someone on the BT IP Office Helpdesk) but switched to using the system shortcodes after a reply above. I have been slowly moving the user shortcode ones into system shortcodes when I get time.

The issue currently appears to be at the stage of configuration (correct us if we're wrong Shredder? also it is Manager or Web Manager? I'm more than able to believe that one will have a limits that the other doesn't (they're a left hand doesn't talk to the right hand bunch at Avaya at times) - so you may be able to do things in the other tool that you are currently blocked from).

Splitting them between system short codes and user rights short codes as Derfloh suggests might also be another workaround. They will at least buy time.

Our system is back up now but the BT engineer took it back to day one config because it was grinding for him when testing a more recent config with the blocked numbers in.
I'll be setting up something makeshift for our sales team to use to check our blocked numbers with this week and we're trying to get someone from Avaya (through BT Local Business) to help with what IPGuru suggested. That sounds like the best bet right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back