Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R10 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOfficeGuru

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
Reading through the Offer Definition for R10.
A few items that are disturbing.
1. PLDS Licensing process is going to be a pain in the A$$.
2. Avaya is moving to a per user model for the IP Office. A 'Basic User' license required for every user you create on the system. Without it Digital sets won't even work. (No wait - they can still dial 911)
3. The marvelous Avaya "IPOSS" is mandatory for every system. The R10 Offer Definiton tries to run you through some glorious justification of how wonderful the IPOSS will be for the customer. Thats after you attempt about 50 times to register the damn thing and then register 'your' customer "SOLD To:'which takes about 20 minutes - so Avaya can later take over tha account.
Remember - all of this so Avaya can streamline the installation process !!
What a joke - I haven't even touched on the "Avaya IP Office Cloud Offer" only $39.95 per seat - but you have to act now - says the guy from 'slap chop' infomercial.

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

I don't think many would call it "feedback" if they were on the receiving end, I think there are more accurate/honest descriptions for it.....:)

Maybe they are on the Windows track..... every three days.... your phone display will be filled with 'Upgrade to Avaya R10' reminders.. (we can do it at Midnight while you are sleeping) and the sun will come up tomorrow... just like is always has.... (never mind the cost, that's your employers problem).... {Just in Jest... Mates...}
[Have a pint on me... (busy looking for my bitcoin account number...) BRB]

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Really the only thing I can't get my head around with Avaya is why they think the can have price increases on of all things phones? The prices of phones are going down everywhere else. Look at SIP phones, good quality and getting less expensive. Avaya increases the price of the phones? What? In what parallel universe are they living in? The only explanation I can come up with is to actually make money off the grey market. But all that does is drive buyers to the grey market. I think Avaya LOVES the grey market otherwise how could they meet the numbers they need without it?

Samsung OfficeServ is the closest hardware that is comparable to the IP Office. I used to be a Samsung dealer before I sold my company and now collect a paycheck for the work I do and no stress.

HI,
i guess Panasonic IP systems does give a good challenge to avaya ip office. Avaya ip office had just captured the market and now it thinks it has no challenger , which is a false thinking... many people are there in the SMB market are offering many free licenses in the market.
i believe there should be minimum time spent on configuration at the SMB level.. Panasonic should be the best bet..

Panasonic is way behind on IP Office, even on basic telephony features. And far less helpdesk calls on Avaya.
The only thing a Panasonic has which is not available on IP Office is tenancy, would be a nice to have feature though.
I cannot speak about other systems as I am not familiar with them.

Read the latest R10 Offer Definition. Looks like Avaya listened a bit.

NTSDirect

We've been told Basic Edition is back on the R10 rollout! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. [ponder]

end of July ish. Of course that's always subject to change.

NTSDirect

From what I have read so far about R10 there is hardly anything new for the end user to get excited about but as a programmer it looks like there are some new features that will be nice, the one I'm most excited about is the ability to bulk edit users. Web manager is going to give the ability to show all of your lines in one view which I think will be nice. Ability to duplicate ICRs from Primary to other nodes. PLDS licensing has a lot of benefits, no more dealing with the painful process when transferring licenses from one SD card to another. One thing I wish they would bring back is the old help documentation in Manager, it used to be so great, not so much any more.

Avaya cut heavily in the documentation team so it will only get worse.

I am still waiting for the 9.1 Matrix to come out. Probably with the release of R13

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Bulk user editing? It's already possible by using the excel file into the Manager folder, what's different?

With the excel you initially create users and yes... You can change them. But you have not so many options what to change. With bulk editing you can change one or many values for the chosen users.

Bulk editing would be great. Every other system I've worked on has it and it's a huge time saver. It's not fun changing one setting on dozen of users one-by-one.

About the Panasonic comparison, I've worked on Panasonic a lot, Avaya has a lot more flexibility and features. Aside from tenancy, the only other reason to go Panasonic (besides price) are their cordless phones. they have the best in the business.

I concur, I had to change the logon password today for 100+ users and it is tedious.

intrigrant
The Matrix was the single best document for IPO but of course they don't renew that. Idiots at Avaya who made that decision.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Will they give the ability to bulk edit & remove the Vxxxx entry in source numbers that is auto created when importing users or when users are created? Several healthcare/gov customers need that removed and it's always been a tedious process. I raised a GRIP and explained how that translated into over 10K mouse clicks for a server edition customer with hundreds of users.

Seriously, you can export the configuration, trim it down to just Ext_Info, edit these fields, and import it back. Just have to be careful so practice before getting crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back