Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R10 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOfficeGuru

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
Reading through the Offer Definition for R10.
A few items that are disturbing.
1. PLDS Licensing process is going to be a pain in the A$$.
2. Avaya is moving to a per user model for the IP Office. A 'Basic User' license required for every user you create on the system. Without it Digital sets won't even work. (No wait - they can still dial 911)
3. The marvelous Avaya "IPOSS" is mandatory for every system. The R10 Offer Definiton tries to run you through some glorious justification of how wonderful the IPOSS will be for the customer. Thats after you attempt about 50 times to register the damn thing and then register 'your' customer "SOLD To:'which takes about 20 minutes - so Avaya can later take over tha account.
Remember - all of this so Avaya can streamline the installation process !!
What a joke - I haven't even touched on the "Avaya IP Office Cloud Offer" only $39.95 per seat - but you have to act now - says the guy from 'slap chop' infomercial.

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

I still think IPOSS is a joke for software related bugs support, not because of the costs, or it being mandatory or not mandatory, but simply because of the support you receive from Avaya. I will not troubleshoot bugs for Avaya anymore. I have spent countless hours/days of my time with Avaya support, submitting trace after trace only to get a fix 1 to 2 months later, and/or countless times I get an Avaya support tech that drops the ball with my ticket. Much easier to come here, or find service pack downgrade that doesn't have the bug, or find a work around and let someone else deal with the headaches of Avaya support. God bless any of you that track down these bugs for Avaya. :)

It's too bad really, because I have had great support from other companies. i.e. Xima for example. You call in, get a live tech reasonable soon, they start a teamviewer session with you, and actually look at the issue, are knowledgeable, and they grab the traces/logs themselves and fix your issues! Wonderful support!

We are going to hold off on R10 until you all say how great it is. :)

IPOSS is a great idea in theory just like communism but both just don't work. (let's see how much flak I get for that one :))

When Avaya introduced IPOSS they got flooded with idiotic tickets rather than before with tickets that were 90% valid issues. They just didn't add personnel to it and the ones they added had to be trained and get experience.
I was talking to one of the Avaya tier 3 guys about a year after they started this nonsense and he told me that half his tickets are on how to create huntgtroups properly and make them overflow after a certain time and stupid stuff like that which took away time from the real issues that needed attention.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

The Mitel way is(was) better, you go on a training course and pass the test then you get an engineer number, when you raise a ticket you need to be an active BP and supply your engineer number (you also need to be active to access downloads), the tech then takes on your issue and works it, with live contact until it's resolved... not just emailed traces and wild goose chases etc. Not sure if it's still like that, but it was :)

That Mitel way sounds really great, I would however not be able to open a ticket (I would guess) because the last training I was on was in 2003 when the IPO was on R1.1 or 1.2 I think. Reboot for a button change was mandatory :) Customers were not happy coming from a Nortel system that only got rebooted only when the power went out.
That trainings course was funny though because the trainer just came from a "Train the Trainer" course and had no clue what he was doing.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

It is still that way.
You need to be certified it you won't even be able to raise a ticket.
Lastly I had an issue with an upgrade of a call centre application and raised a ticket. For called back and the tech got remote access and fixed it.
It was a nasty one as the login credentials didn't work anymore.
Avaya takes 3 days emailing if you are lucky.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Guys, is the XML license migration file the only way to put together a proposal to upgrade to R10? I find it hard to believe that Avaya is requiring the XML file that you can only obtain onsite with an R10 manager instead of making it simple and pulling the licenses from the csv file generated with the export feature. Is there another common sense alternative?

RE
APSS, AIPS

Don't you have remote access to all system you support? This is not an issue for us :)

Didn't test it yet. But perhaps it should also be possible to create the migration XML file from a saved offline config with Manager R10

Yes for the ones we support and that are actually networked, no for the ones we do not support and are not networked, either way, Avaya is putting the burden of the extra time and labor on the BP to download and install the R10 Suite on the remote PC or a customer PC in order to get a simple low margin upgrade quote or worse if we have to travel onsite because the PBX is not networked which is what is happening to me right now. We picked up a brand new customer with existing Avaya equipment they wants to add a new site and network everything. One of the existing sites is only 5 minutes away from the office, the second one just 6 hours round trip, yes there is a bunch of ways to get the XML file if and only if the equipment is on the network and setup right, maybe I should just stick with 9.1 even if they want 10, make some bull up about 10 to avoid it all together.

RE
APSS, AIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back