Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quake 3 ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerz

Technical User
Feb 20, 2000
US
I am having a problem when i run quake 3. i get an error with my video card and a deadly blue screen. I have a rage 128 and i also know someone with a voodo 3 and the same problem. any ideas or suggestions

Most likely has to do with DirectX/D3d...<br>
<br>
This quote was from iBeta.com <br>
I have been having trouble with Falcon4.0, but I have found the issue addressed,to affect Quake3 and some others...<br>
&quot;Some of the cards we’ve seen problems with are TNT, TNT2, ATI, and Voodoo running in D3D mode, but any card that can run D3D may be affected.&quot;<br>
<br>
I am running a TNT2(diamond Viper770) and have not been able to fix my problem yet.<br>
<br>
Hopefully that will point you in the right direction. Check ATI and Quake's manufacturer about the issue with Win2k/DirectX/D3d.<br>

Um , Quake3 is OpenGL NOT DirectX, yet i know most DX things are bit problematic under Win2k, but you have to understand win2k is still technically NT which used to be DirectX Limited, so there dont seem to be drivers yet sepecifcally for the win2k platform to compensate for all these video cards, also you must find an updated drivers for the video card made specifically for Win2k, not NT4, I have a Geforce256 using the latest denator for Win2k, and Quake3 runs just great, smoother than win98 in fact. on the other hand Unreal Tornament , which is DirectX based (and can be OpenGL based, but this is experemental, and crashes on me at 32bit color), would not play very well at all under win2k, my guss is cuz it's Directx dependant. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

I thought Win2k was supposed to work well with DX, you know - &quot;DirectX 7.0 built in&quot; ?<br>
What's up with that? Does anyone have any DX Games working under W2K?

Yes but most games dont see a Win9x machine, they see an NT machine, and has been built to work around NT problems (any NT OS before Win2k, usally was DX Limited), and &quot;whats up with that&quot; well what did you expect its microsoft, how many times have they ever actually proved that any OS worked as well as they said.<br>
<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(hehe, yea it was 4.5 too, least i didnt start with COBOL)

Let's face it. It is going to be a while until Win 2k has great (even good) game support for all.. I've just thrown in the towel, and have gone dual boot with 98 for my games. I run all graphic and web related development tools, and 2k is unbeatable in my opinion. It is stable, and that is the key word when doing work, research, and developmet on these things. I want to be able to use 1 OS, but if I want the games... it isn't going to happen right now. <br>
For most of us, we are all pretty proficient in these technical aspects, and I know for me, a couple hours or so (if that) to format and reinstall is no big deal. I have all my apps, all patches, fixes, all the tweaks backed up so, it's 1-2-3 and I'm back up and running. I tried to get this stuff to work, but it is just becoming a waste ot time hoping that this will all be fixed when I wake up every morning...<br>
Suddenly, 98 is my second best friend....<br>
<br>
<br>

hehe i'm on Win98 right now, I do have the final copy of Win2k, on CD, just in case i ever wana just turn my old machines into a Server(i mean thats whats its supposed to be for), Win2k is intended for networking and what not, it's made to be a server, or what not, if you want a gamming machine go back to Win98, or wait for windows Millenium (if NT4 is to Win2k, then Win98 is to Windows Millenium)<br>
some people just wana call it Win98 third edition. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(hehe, yea it was 4.5 too, least i didnt start with COBOL)

Look out for third party drivers for 2k Nvidia had one for the TNT2 chipset.

Rangerz,<br>I have Win2K Pro as well as a Rage 128 Pro.&nbsp;&nbsp;All my games work great.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, the driver for the card that is included in Win2K does not support OpenGL.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had to download a driver from ATI that does support OpenGL.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've included the URL to the Win2K multi-purpose driver page for ATI.&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> disagree with kb244 about his statement that Win2K Pro was meant to be used on a server.&nbsp;&nbsp;That is what Win2K Server is for.&nbsp;&nbsp;Win2K Pro has been a very reliable and stable desktop OS for me and I've been able to play all my games as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;Haven't been able to get multiple monitors to work, but that's another story.&nbsp;&nbsp;Good Luck!

I've got win 2000 and a ATI Rage 128 card. I installed the latest driver from the ati site and seem to have opengl support happening. But Quake III fails to load with reported problems with opengl. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I belive an ATI rage does not have enough power to handle Quake3, how much memory is on it? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

There are several different types of Rage 128.&nbsp;&nbsp;The card I have is the 128 Rage Fury Pro, which has 32MB of RAM.

32M should be sufficient, in the past (Before I got a TNT2 Ultra), I was barly able to run Quake3 on my Voodoo1 6 meg card. (640x480 was max res) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

My ATI Rage 128 card has 16 MB of memory on it. I turned system settings down to 640x480 and 16bit color but it didn't help. Do I need to change system settings to play around with resolution and color depth, or can I do that in Quake?

your situation may be similar to that of the Voodoo1, most of the OpenGL Drivers required I belive a 1.3 version VxD(device driver) or later, anything below usally crashes. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Have you tried running a less graphics intense game that uses openGL, like one of the earlier versions of Quake? Might be worth a try to see if your system will run one of these games.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it's a driver issue then likely you will get the same error, if not then maybe Karl is right and you don't have enough video card to run Q3.<br><br>Kerry

Just a comment about WIN 2k and gaming. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128 with the ATI unsupported beta drivers and I couldn't ask for better gameplay. From Quake3, to Motoracer, to Monster Truck Madness, the gameplay is teriffic. I tolerated 98 for gamings sake as I liked NT better in every other respect. 2k gives me the best of both worlds. I turned a lot of my clients onto it as well mainly using the Voodoo3s and I have had no complaints. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

ATCal -<br>What kind of hardware is your pc.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a Dell GX1 733, 256, and an ati all-in-wonder 16meg.&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried the beta drivers, and W2K still does not like the drivers.<br>Any thoughts?<br>Also - on the integrated 8meg video - Q3 still gives the OpenGL error.<br>?????????? <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Regardng UT, I've had no crashing with 32-bit - only performance issues when too many things are happening on screen at once.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's odd since my hardware is rather recent (P-<i>!!!</i> 700mhz coppermine, Annihilator 2 video (geforce GTS 2 chipset), 100% SCSI-based, CL Live value sound...)<br>16-bit is much better with performance, even at 1280x1024 oddly, but 32-bit seems to slow my system down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back