Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Service Announcement -- 10.1.2 Breaks 56xx and 54xx phones 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

twitchy087

Vendor
Dec 20, 2011
US
10.1.2 will break the feature buttons on 56xx and 54xx phones. The phones can make/take calls but no feature buttons will work. So far we have 2 systems that we have proven this on. Downgrading to 10.1.1 will resolve the problem.

Avoid 10.1.2 like the plague...

Hi Guys, any update from Avaya on this? As I did this to customer without knowing and now they can't use their phones.

Roll it back to sp1...

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

Man, I hope a resolution on this comes soon. I've got a huge CM to IPO multi-site migration where the customer is expecting to move over the 2400's. We're going to deploy the OVA for the Primary and Secondary next week and I'd like tnot have to spend time with an upgrade after the fact. For now planning on SP1--I just hope none of the issues fixed in SP2 come up and we are left saying we can't fix this because the next service pack will break your phones!

Avaya didn't break the phones, they just turned into SIP extensions.

Well this certainly will put the brakes on 3-site Server Edition job I've been working on for the last month. 300-400 2400's that can only make and receive calls only is probably not gonna fly. Can't wait to lab this tomorrow and show the sales team whose doubting the validity of this that they needed to make it more clear to the client they were rolling the dice on not buying new sets.

Why use a server edition if you use so much digital phones?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Good question, tlpeter. The largest site is under the max for a 500v2, though not by much since i do have a healthy number of analog stations too. I think since the customer has 2400's, they'd consider over time going to IP sets. The sales team didn't expect something like this to occur in-release, but said they warned the customer the possibility that 11.0 may not work with these phones. We're going to inform them tomorrow that the latest service pack of 10.1 breaks their phones, and we've yet to see any kind of PCN's from Avaya on the matter. We did lab this today to prove what you all have reported re: 10.1.2 vs 10.1.1. Unless they can live with the potential bugs that 10.1 SP2 addresses, they may want to consider a new course as it pertains to the sets, which will equal some major dollars they weren't anticipating a need to spend.

Then for now install 10.1.1 and then the phones will work for now.
The customer now has to invest a bit more in a shorter time but not straight away.

BAZINGA!

I see a suggestion from @rdoubrava that Avaya's said that they won't fix it.

But they are still listing the 2400 phones as supported - any Avaya BP raised a case and got an official response?

[EDIT] - Just checked the latest docs - 2400 series phones supported for R10.1 and R11.0

The 2400 are still supported.
The 11.0 software does not have the firmware for the 5400 series anymore but only the 2400.
I still think this is strange as the 5400 are for the IPO only while the 2400 are for both the IPO and CM.

BAZINGA!

I downloaded the 11.0 admin suite today and am finding 5400 and 2400 bins in there. We managed to get temp upgrade licensing on 11 and I am finding tonight that the 2420 I have is working normally on 11.0. Plus, the platform description doc is stating that both 2400 and 5400 are still supported on R 11.0

@gntsfan8690 - Well said and done. Enough people spreading FUD.

I don't have any 2400s but found two 5410 phones to plug into my R11.0 IP500 V2 system this morning and both sprang into life with programmable buttons working just fine. Even changed their button programming to do a full check. (All a very good reminder of how crap they are compared to 1400/9500 phones, the only reason to stick on them is saving money).

So there are service packs for all IP Office releases that still support those phones just fine and two broken service packs that don't. Standard life for a maintainer, keeping track of what's fixed/broken between different releases (just usually its not something as major as this that gets broken).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

So sizbut they work fine including the 4 feature buttons on top?

BAZINGA!

Speed Dials, Logs, Options, Label buttons - yes, all fine.

For those who can access the Avaya solution notes, look at SOLN325024 which promises a fix in the July service packs.

I downloaded the R11 too but no 5400 nor 2400 bins in it, sure gntsfan8690 ?

Depends what you installed. If its the admin lite then you won't have any bins for any phones. Even the full admin has a checkbox for whether to install the bin files or not.

Mea culpa @hibroth, have a star

Having been on the R11 trials I decided to do a full uninstall of the Admin suite and manually deleted the large number of files that get left behind. Then reinstalled using the zip now on support.avaya.com and you're right, those bins are missing. Still suspect error on top of mistake rather than conspiracy but not impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back