Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Service Announcement -- 10.1.2 Breaks 56xx and 54xx phones 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

twitchy087

Vendor
Dec 20, 2011
US
10.1.2 will break the feature buttons on 56xx and 54xx phones. The phones can make/take calls but no feature buttons will work. So far we have 2 systems that we have proven this on. Downgrading to 10.1.1 will resolve the problem.

Avoid 10.1.2 like the plague...

@hilbroth -- let me totally clear out my Avaya folder of Manager and re-install 11.0 . The funny thing is 2400 are still supposed to be supported on 11.0 from what I saw in release notes I downloaded the other day.

UPDATE: I stand corrected. Nothing in my Manager folder for 2400 or 5400 bins, after I removed the admin suite I had running on my laptop (which actually was 10.1.2) and installed 11.0, low and behold no bins for these two sets. I can tell you however, the 2420 does work on 11.0 as I was able to test it the other day.

Indeed. Given how old they are and how long since there was any new firmware, it would be extraordinarily odd to find one that didn't already have it installed. There's quite a lot in the Manager install that they could drop - does anyone really still need the drivers for the parallel port dongle!?

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Sounds like a bit of over-zealous tidying up by someone... But I can't remember when we last saw new 2400 series firmware (five, or maybe eight, years?) so I doubt it will be an issue.

I've heard that is a critical patch available, but you have to open a service request to get it. Maybe it's to do a sneaky count on how many people require it to see how many customers still use the older phones.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

I can confirm that a patch exists. I have actually have it in my possession as of yesterday afternoon. I am yet to apply it but can confirm its existence.

Code:
...it's to do a sneaky count on how many people require it to see how many customers still use the older phones.

As noted here before I love the ability for people to cook-up conspiracy theories :)

But it fails on several counts;
[ul]
[li]the bug broke the *Entirely Supported* 2400 series phones, plus the ETR ones according to an old colleague[/li]
[li]in all my years working on IP Office CPs have only ever been on-request, I think that there was once a very quick service pack made generally available, but usually the SP just gets updated and re-issued if there's a big problem.[/li]
[li]I don't think that, Avaya (like many organisations accused of Machiavellian actions) could organise it anyway ;-)[/li]
[/ul]

I got the CP a couple of weeks ago and confirmed a 2420 I had worked fine on my lab. I asked the Avaya engineer if the 5400's had been labbed after the CP was applied, and was told yes and they worked as normal as well. You need to open an SR with Avaya to get the patch.

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm 10.1.3 fixes the issues with 5400 phones? I am doing an upgrade tomorrow moring from 10.1.2 to 10.1.3 for these issues... and I do not see it listed as a fix in the tech bulletin 215 for this SP.

Thank you

Been there, done that

Since you've already said you're doing the upgrade we'll wait for you to tell us.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Sizbut, if you don't know the answer, why post? If you do know the answer, why not a helpful response?

For future tek-tippers, I can confirm that 10.1.3 fixes the 5400's hold and park issue.

Been there, done that

As documented by Avaya. And I agree on the reply from Sizbut, it would be my first reactionas well.

I have a customer on R6.0(18) and over 30 5400 series phones and 3 5600 series. They want to upgrade to the latest release R11 but from what we are seeing from Avaya and here those phones will not work on R11. While it is not supported is it OK to go to 10.0 or 10.1? They refuse to upgrade the phones.

Circling back to this thread. Has anyone tried the 4400 sets on R10.1 or R11? I know its stated they are not supported but do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back