Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programs Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyIN

MIS
Jan 26, 2003
US
From a completely blank 100GB WD hard drive I started a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I started putting all my programs on and everything was going along fine. After hours and hours of installing programs, updates, etc. etc. Now none of the programs will start. It will boot into Windows fine and into SAFE MODE, but none of the programs will start out of safe mode. I suspect it has something to do with DEF but even when it's disabled they won't start. I can't figure out which program is causing the error. The error being Data Execution Prevention. But it just keeps loading that error over and over again until it's completely out of memory and locked up. I've went into MSCONFIG and unchecked ALL startup's and all NON-MICROSOFT services. I've run chkdsk and sfc and even tried a Repair from the CD but nothing seems to work. What I should have done was rebooted and verified the programs were working after each installation, but I didn't, although these are all the same programs that I had running before on a 40GB Maxtor. Does anyone have any ideas at all. I'm probably going to start over, creating restore points after each program verification, but I'm not sure I can even do a restore unless it can be done from SAFE MODE. I don't know if I accidently deleted some registry setting or what. I did a DISK CLEANUP checking all boxes, just prior to the last good boot.
THANKS

Check out this part of the following article - "DEP configuration for the system is controlled through switches in the Boot.ini file. If you are logged on as an administrator, you can now easily configure DEP settings by using the System dialog box in Control Panel".

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

You receive a "Data Execution Prevention" error message in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

Hardware (DEP)-enabled computer may unexpectedly quit after you resume from standby or from hibernation in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Thanks Linney for the reply. However, I've tried all that's mentioned in those articles. About the only thing that changes is that even though no programs will start, at least I don't get the recurring data execution prevention errors. It kind of acts like a virus, but I had the newest updates from Norton and had run the virus scan prior to it happening. It's very odd for sure, but it's made the computer unusable. Before I start over, I'll leave it sit for a few days, as I'd like to find the answer to see if it's repairable. Anyway, thanks for your input. Basically I can through editing the Boot.INI file turn the DEP on and off at least as far as the notification goes, but something is still preventing and executable from running through Windows. In many case, I can use the run command and invoke some executables, but no regular programs through using their icons.

What version of Norton? I've heard bad things about 2005. Have you tried without Norton? If you do "start over", I'd re-boot after every two or three programs. You may have "competing" dll versions.

Thanks micker377. Yeah, for sure. I'm using Norton 2003, but everything is configured NOT TO START both the non-microsoft services and in startup. I'm unable to uninstall any programs so I can't start reversing things and of course there is no restore point to go back to. I don't have a problem starting over, but I've not seen this problem before and sure would like to get it resolved in case it comes up again.

Did you "disable" the startup items in Programs > Startup, or in msconfig > startup? Norton has many things that run from the registry and you can't do anything about. I've been running Norton Systemworks 2003 for years with no problems. I would start with unchecking 4 or so things in msconfig > start at a time. If you stop anything important, you can go in through "safe mode" and correct it.

I did it from MSCONFIG. There is NOTHING starting up under the startup tab in MSCONFIG. I have also disable all NON-MICROSOFT services in MSCONFIG. I ran AD-AWARE from the safe mode but it didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Very strange I think. I have a regular looking desktop, but when you try to click on anything to run, it flashes for a second like the program just started, then immediately closes. You can't even shut the system down without just turning the PC off. Trying to choose START SHUTDOWN causes the same reaction. I am running Norton System Works 2003 on that machine.

It's probably not a program you have loaded, but something you have "picked up" whilst downloading updates. I have had similar problems for the past two weeks. The problem files I have found so far are:-
satmat.exe (adware), conscorr.exe (trojan downloader), anything to do with WebRebates & MyWebSearch
I too use AdAware but it did not find them. I use HijackThis to find & eliminate some of these, but they are VERY persistant.

[cheers]

If you have room on your new drive perhaps you could consider a parallel install of your operating system, updates etc. Then you could add your programs one at a time, checking as you go.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

The thing to try an avoid is installing your third party programs into the original Program Files folder where your crashing programs are. Some Windows programs such as IE, OE, Movie Maker etc. will be installed (not duplicated) and run from the original Program Files folder but linked to the correct Windows installation via the appropriate registry settings.

Sounds like somewhere along the line your XP security files got mangled.. if you can create another user and logon to that user and see what you can access.. fresh install of XP is the only cure that i've found.. usually happens on NTFS drives only (and I've tried the security options to reset NTFS file permissions to no avail)

SpeedyIN ... Do you have automatic connection to the Internet on boot up? If so, disconnect it & see if you still have the problem. I had the exact same problem as you, but only when connected, so could fix the cause of the problem by eliminating the stuff mentioned in my previous post.

[cheers]

I started from scratch again. And again I got the problem. This time though it appears to be either AD-AWARE or SPYBOT causing the problems as it started occurring right after installing those programs. On the final reboot I got a blank screen with a notice that something was trying to install without a certificate. I think it was ose.exe. I said no to that. It had a SOUTH____ something name so I didn't let it install, but after it booted up I can't open any programs. I do have a direct connection to the internet, but how do I remove it. I can unplug the cable okay, but how do I tell the system not to even try it. I've disabled all startup programs AND non-microsoft services. This is really a stumper for me.

I would just unplug the Internet cable & assuming your computer boots up OK, run HijackThis, then copy the Log file onto a diskette & paste it into using another computer. The auto analysis is very good & might help indicate what is causing your problems. It certainly helped me.
Good Luck.

[cheers]

FOUND IT!!!! The culprit was a little pop-up blocker program called NO ADS. I've been using it for years, but for some reason on this new installation, it started blocking everything. I haven't figured out exactly why yet. I'm working with SOUTHBAY now to try and find out why, but that was the bad guy. Once I uninstalled it, everything worked fine.
THANKS EVERYONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back