Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming A Destination Code to pick up a Line on a remote BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamFam

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2006
CA
What I want to do is program a destination code that will pick up a line on a remote BCM.

The BCMs are already networked via IP and functioning correctly. So what I want is that on BCM 1 (Europe) you enter a code and it grabs a line on BCM 2 (Canada) so you can dial local to Canada from there.

I know how to program a destination code (I did that to get the inter company extension dialing working BCM to BCM), but what do I have to do to tell it to grab a line so I can dial out?

Thanks

Another thought would be to program a button on the set to pick up the line on the remote system, if possible.

A destination code would be preferable, but a programmed button would be acceptable. Whatever works!

The problem is, how do I get it do pick up a line (give me dial tone)

Dest works direct to extension, but I want it to grab an outside line so it can make local calls.

assign a "remote access package" to the voip trunk that allows access to your PSTN pool.
now dial the dest-code that points to that system and dial the dest-code (access code) for the PSTN. (this will not work with dest code 0 if unpatched)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little bit of a n00b, so that went over my head a bit (not too much, but a little).

Could you be a little more detailed in a step-by step manner?

I really appreciate it!

here's an example:
BCM without PSTN (BCM1)
create a destination code that points to your VoIP lines (8 for example). The route should have numbering plan "public" and the dest-code should have "absorbed length=ALL"
We assume that 9 is the pstn access code at the other location. (BCM2)
Check that digit "9" points to BCM2 in the "remote gateways" of BCM1.

Create a "Remote access package" at BCM2 that has your PSTN line pool as entry and assign that package to your VoIP lines at BCM2.

Now you should be able to dial "89" at BCM1 and reach the BCM2s PSTN lines.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow!

steef just to add to yours if in the rout leaving the first BCM you put a Dial Out of 9. It will put you on the outside line at the other end so instead of dialing 89 you would just dial 8.

steeef,

I am running into a couple problems.

I can't add "9" as an entry in remote gateways to BCM2 as there is already an entry for BCM2's IP with the dest code for thier extensions (22). It won't let me add a second remote gateway with the same IP.

Also, "9" is already defined as a dest code on BCM1 because it's what they dial to get a line out (access to Pool A).

remote gateway: you can have more entries for one ip. just seperate them with spaces. for example "22 9"
this will not conflict with the dest-code on BCM1

@hawks: you're right. this would make sense here.

Ok, thanks again guys.

Here is the config.

On BCM1, I have a new route (002) accessing Pool C (VOIP). The route is public with an "ALL" absorbed length.

I have the Dest Code 8 pointing to Route 002.

In the remote gateway to BCM2, I have added a space then a "9" after the existing entry for the destination digits.

On BCM2, I've added a new remote access package (009) which is tied to the VOIP pool (C).

Under the settings for the VOIP lines, under "general" I've given them a setting of "009" for "use remote package".

Now, when I dial 8 from an extension at BCM1, I get nothing (no dial tone, which I understand to be normal). I proceed to dial a local number, and I immediatley get a fast busy with "no answer" on the display.

Dialing "89" gives me ringing, and eventually the voicemail for genral mailbox on BCM2.

What have I done wrong?

Sorry, I made a mistake.

On BCM2, I've added a new remote access package (009) which is tied to the PSTN pool (A)

Is what I should have said. That's how it is set up. The results are the same as I mentioned above.

now you should use bcm monitor (UIP) to see what kind of messages arrive at BCM2

What should I turn on in UIP?

Sorry, but I'm new to all this BCM monitor stuff. What should I be looking for?

Should I be hitting "8" or "89" now?

I'm not quite sure I know what hawks was referring to with his post.

Thanks for all your help again. I think we may be almost there!

connect to BCM2 with bcm monitor, select UIP and check "MCDN" and "Log UIP data"
Now dial "89" on BCM1 (or just 8 if you have entered the 9 as external # to your route 002 on BCM1)

copy and paste the output of your bcm monitor (see log file) to here :)

is the voicemail dn 22439 the prime set for the voip-lines?
please note: after dialing "89" on BCM1 you will not hear a second dial tone even if it works. just dial the full number.

I believe the control set is the reception desk, but it's night there right now, so night service (auto attendant) is on.

Yep. just checked. Control set for VOIP lines is reception desk.

dialing 89, followed by a local number results in "no answer" on the display, with a fast busy signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back