Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

program feature button to autodial VM pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

boecherer

MIS
Jan 8, 2005
US
I posted this last week and I couldn't understand the one reply I got. Has anyone done this? It seems like such a simple thing.
-------------------------------------------------------
My receptionist needs to check the VM on a few lines (700 and 750). Is there any way to program button 23 and 24 (on a phone with a sidecar) to automatically dial the VM and fetch messages for 700 and 750 respectively?

I've read other posts and they say to use shortcodes, but I can't seem to make it work. I tried to setup a shortcode *999 for example to dial: *17,700#,password,#
but it doesn't work.

I used:

Short Code: *999
Telephone Number: *17,700#,password,#,#
Line Group ID: 0
Feature: Dial

When I dial *999 I get DISCONNECTED on the display.

U;ve tried a few variations using DialDirect, and VMCollect also and some go tto VM (my own since I tested from my phone) but nothing worked.

This seems like an easy thing to do: program a button to speed dial a sequence of digits, so I must be missing something simeple.

Thanks

Close try the following short code

SC:*999
Number "?<MailboxName>
Feature VoicemailCollect

Or Even

SC: *999
Number: "?Anonymous"
Feature: VoicemailCollect

the last option will prompt for mailbox & passcode

opps miss read question
to put VM access under a key
set the keys feature to VoicemailCollect & the telephone number to ?<MailboxName>

Thanks for the reply IPGuru.

The reason I used *999 instead of a key in my attempt was that I figured if I could get *999 to work, I could then assign Dial *999 to the key.

When you say to set the telephone number to ?<MailboxName> does that mean to use the extension of the mailbox or the name in the name field of that extension? And are you saying that it will not ask for the password then if I do this?

VM works on user NAME not Extn Number
insert the mailbox name after the "?" in the number field

prompting for a passcode will depend on haw you have configured your IPO & VM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

And so are you saying that there is no way to program a key to send a sequence of numbers or touch tones and pauses, etc. It would seem that that would work also if I could program in the sequence: *17,700#,password,#,# or something like that.

I did what you said replacing <MailboxName> with the username:

SC:*999
Number "?<MailboxName>" <-- added a quote here
Feature VoicemailCollect

and it goes to VM collect but asks for extension.

I don't know if your technique can really work? Have you ever done it? And to reiterate, I would like the key to be able to send key presses if possible to collect VM from a mailbox that is not the user's regular mailbox. So the mailbox needs to be sent and the password unless there is a way around it.

It would seem that a system so "robust" as IPO could be programmed to send tones and pauses to be able to pickup VM even from a cell phones VM for instance.

Any more insight on this would be appreciated.

Frank

if you realy want to assign a short code to a key the key use an action of dial & enter the shortcode into the number field

if the *999 shortcode is asking for an extn number than you have not typed the mailbox name correctly, it must be an exact match of the useres name field.

the best option for single key VM access is to use an action of VoiceMailColect & set the number field to ?<MailboxName> eg for user john set the number field to ?john

this setup has been used on a number of systems

I spoke with a Netversant engineer (where we have our support agreement) and he said there is no way to send a series of button pushes like I am trying to do. I think a certain amount of it can be done with your instructions, but not to go to VM and enter the extension and password, etc. Thanks for trying IPGuru and if you have any other input I'd love to hear it.

netversant guy has no idea what hes talking about, this is standard feature on IPO

As per IPGuru check your name is correct

PS One other way to check messages is to us the command anonymous

Exaample of a system short code

Short Code :*99
Dial:?anonymous
Feature : Voice Mail Collect

This should ask you for a mailbox number and password.

Note each user will have to have a password set up in their mailbox config

[cheers]

I'm not trying to check an anonymous mailbox. I'm trying to have one button "autodial" EVERYTHING (voice mail collect for the box I want or enter the box when asked, then enter the password) so that the receptionist doesn't have to press collect VM, enter the extension, enter the password, press 2 to fetch, press 0 to play, etc.

There would have to be some pauses in there to wait for the prompts.

Remember the old days when you could have an autodialer in your pocket that sent DTMF tones to dial long distance numbers, etc? You would program the autodialer to dial AT&T long distance, enter the phone number to dial, etnter your account code, etc. and it would all be sent automatically from the autodialler.

I'm looking for something like that and it doesn't seem like it can be done.

try either switching VM pro to IP office mode or creating a custom collect enty point for the reception mailbox

IP office mode will allow access to VM from a secure location by just pressing the VM colletc button

if you want to stick with intuity mode then creat a collect entry in VM pro for the reception mailbox that goes directly to a get mail action.

We would probably stay with Intuity mode since we "upgraded" from a Definity system which used Intuity mode I believe.

I'm not sure how to create a collect entry in VM pro that goes directly to a get mail action though. If you can offer any tips, that would be great or I can ask the Netversant techs if they can do it.

Thanks

I would sugest reading the VM pro documents becaue it includes screen shots that we cannot enter here.

on User start points, right click & select add.
select the required usere & tick the collect box.

Insert a getmail action into the call flow & connect it to the start point.
save & make live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back