Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor math editing 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumei

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
CA
I just read a newspaper article (yes I still read newspapers) on red pandas.

More than 80 zoos in North America house red pandas.

Then two paragraphs later:

There are only about 45 red pandas in captivity in North America.

Considering it is very likely that all of the "more than 80" zoos have at least one WHOLE panda, I have trouble reconciling the number 45 being in captivity.

Gerry

While this most likely is a mathematical flaw, there is a possibility of this being correct and still no panda butcher is having a subcontract in these zoos.

There is space AND time. So Pandas could not be shared in time, summer/winter for example.

Or there are several levels of captivity, eg a panda in an outdoor enclosure is not counted as "in captivity".

Or some Pandas only have an 8 hour shift in the zoo.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf said:
Or some Pandas only have an 8 hour shift in the zoo.
[upsidedown]

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

So the Pandas go home after their shift? Do they get breaks? Lunch? What is the pay scale? Do they have a union? UPW (United Panda Workers)?

Maybe a lot of pandas got sick. Maybe there was a pandaemic.

Tom

As a matter of factoid, it is common knowledge that many New England zoos panda to Pandas if they have eny. So thet sez why there on shifts around.

And the new meth is wers then the old meth so nuthin adds up!

And any fool knows that Red Pandas are not well red, so that accounts for all that stuff, y'no.

Case closed an' nails in yer koffin!

A short google search reveals that the math is right but the location is wrong

Over 80 zoos worldwide

45 pandas in NA

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I was writing: There is space AND time. So Pandas could not be shared in time, summer/winter for example.
I was thinking: There is space AND time. So Pandas could not be shared in space, but in time, summer/winter for example.

It's disappointing there are 80 zoos worldwide housing red pandas and only some of them in north america. I still think it's more likely red pandas are free animals, only working in zoos, not being housed there. I think I have seen quite a lot of animals in bars and other locations, typically where you can get booze. Not only red pandas, also gray panthers, pink elephants and blue unicorns.

Bye, Olaf.

I thought it was an example of Common Core math. The actual answer doesn't really matter as long as you used a convoluted means to reach it. [bigsmile]

hjgoldstein said:
And anyway, it's Maths

Unless you are a javascript programmer of course [pc1]

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

> Unless you are a javascript programmer of course

In that case, you are working with the Devil.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Gerry said:
...(yes I still read newspapers) on red pandas.

I am still enjoying my mental image of Gerry reading newspapers on red pandas. I'm wondering if in Canada, they ride red pandas bare-back, side-saddle, English saddle, or Western saddle. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I was visualizing a red panda with a newspaper printed on it directly.

So black and white and read all over then.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Anything concerning red pandas should be read through Firefox browser, I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back