Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pet Peeve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsdragon

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US
What is your current pet peeve vis-a-vis language and usage?

Mine is the relatively new habit of people trying to sound more educated that they obviously are by using the word "myself" a lot. Unfortunately they rarely use it correctly. They usually use it when they mean "me" or "I". For example: "My wife and myself went to Europe this winter," or "The company gave my coworkers and myself a raise."

It just drives me nuts! [hairpull3]

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

my pet peeve is the phrase "pet peeve".

do not go outside today,
for you are ugly, and your mother dresses you funny.

- g

Spewn: then what phrase would you offer as an alternative?

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

We agree with you KimberTech.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Me too!

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

...and I haven't never not disagreed with you kimbertech

i know in life, you don't sweat the petty stuff, and you don't pet the sweaty stuff.

dot org.

- g

Does anyone remember the laundry detergent commercial that used the phrase "biodegradable surfactants" in describing the soap? While that is a perfectly respectable scientific term, to use it in a soap ad is ludicrous.

And on the name game, my name is Edith, but on the phone I get frequently Eva and Enid, which I understand sort of, but I also get Geeta. I can't imagine where they dig that one up, our local Indian population is less than a hundred people, and maybe less than 50.

Edith,

I get that a lot, too. "Tim" usually turns into "Tom."

Depending on the nature of the call, I may or may not correct them.

Tim [smile]

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

Mispronunciation of names is pretty high on my list of linguistic pet peeves. My last name is Teeple (think steeple without the leading 's') and if I had a dime for everytime I was called People I'd be rich.

I simply will not take anyone who uses the non-word irregardless seriously.

By far, my biggest linguistic pet peeve is the erosion of proper grammar and spelling due to the prevalence of instant messaging. Children these days do not know how to spell!

[cheers]
Cheers!
Laura

Misuse of you're, your, they're, their, etc. Or should OF would OF...um, no, it's should've, would've :) Thank you :)

When people go UH or UM every five seconds or repeat other words. I had a teacher in high school who would say "um" at the start of each sentence, not to mention she'd smack her lips REALLY loud, it was so gross. I also used to have an instructor who would start with "what you're gonna do is you're gonna..." or it was "what you're ACTUALLY gonna do is you're ACTUALLY gonna..." It was SO disturbing. Not to mention he'd use actually about every five words or so. I had a very tough time focusing in class.

Another one..."I gots it"...no, you don't GOTS it, you HAVE it.

It disturbs me when people use "then" instead of "than" (e.g. "I am shorter then most of you.").

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

ToniL,

You and I were probably typing at the same time (I walked away from my desk for a bit before pressing submit): thread1256-1070703

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

LTeeple said:
Children these days do not know how to spell!

You are so right, take a look at these kids.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

then/than. Yup, that's a killer.

On the issue of Name Mispronunciation, which I put in at the top of this thread: In a former job, I answered many phones to take information from branch-workers needing document lookups...

"Research, this is Mike," I'd say.
"Hi, Frank," was far too often the response. I started wondering if I could pronounce my own name properly.

Then there was the woman who, after working with me for 15 minutes, asked if someone else could help her.

"We're nearly done, but I can transfer you if you like."
"Okay, thanks. It's not you... it's just that you sound exactly like my ex-husband, and it's really annoying me.
"oooooo kay.

--

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

I'm still searching for a pronunciation of my own name that others won't hear as "Rob".

I hit the "d" as hard as I can without making it a separate syllable, but it always goes like this:

Them: What's your name?
Me: Rod
Them: Rob?
Me: No, raw-duh.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Rod as in Rodney??

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back