Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pet Peeve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsdragon

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US
What is your current pet peeve vis-a-vis language and usage?

Mine is the relatively new habit of people trying to sound more educated that they obviously are by using the word "myself" a lot. Unfortunately they rarely use it correctly. They usually use it when they mean "me" or "I". For example: "My wife and myself went to Europe this winter," or "The company gave my coworkers and myself a raise."

It just drives me nuts! [hairpull3]

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

From the ride home yesterday - I get really annoyed by radio stations that promise a commercial-free hour of music and then between nearly every song they announce [blue]"This is 96-Rock, playing commercial-free Rock for a full hour during drive time. Nothing but Rock, from the 70's, 80's, 90's, plus today's best rock, too. All Rock, all the time. And for this hour, without any commercials. None. No commercials at all. Just Rock. No oldies, no pop music. Just the best Rock. And without commercial interruption for a full hour...[/blue]

Excuse me, but isn't that announcement a commercial for the *&#% station?

Tim

[blue]__________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
[/blue]

The only way to be 'commercial free' is to stink so no one asks you to run their commercials. IMO

I have yet another pet peeve... Why do people say "same exact" as in, "I did the same exact thing..." Aren't same and exact similar in meaning?

Also, why do people say "connected together"? Have you ever heard of anything connected apart?

One more, then I'm done ranting... Why do people use apostrophes when there aren't supposed to be any? I was in a resturant and looked on the menu and at the top it read, "entree's". Did the menu belong to entree or was it to mean entree is? In a store, a sign read, "No bottle's after 10pm." I read in another thread on this forum, "There were so many typo's that I couldn't read the post."

Ok, I'm finished ranting now...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

More pet peeves:

"irregardless"
"whole nuther"
"incidences"

The fabricated "-wises":
"weatherwise"
"militarywise"
"coming-attractionwise"

...and my all-time pet peeve (linguistics-wise): When I ordered two Mac Donalds Big Breakfasts, the cashier called back to the kitchen, "Two Big Breakfases".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Dirty litter boxes...

[purple](think about the thread)[/purple]

Tim

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

SilentAiche,

Dirty litter boxes...

The thread is "Pet Peeves", not "Pet PEES"...[lol]

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

Somehow we can always count on Tim to come up with the worst pun!

[rofl]

Tracy Dryden

Santa,

I prefer [blue]fridge[/blue] benefits, thank you.
bigsmile.gif

ToniL,

How do you think the litter boxes got dirty?
wink.gif

Tim

Both of which my cats are quite good at!

Tracy Dryden

tsdagon,

Sir, I am des[green]pond[/green]ent! That is no way near the "wart's pun ever": the champion Wart's pun is this:

Code:
[purple][b]Frog Parking Only.  Violators will NOT be Toad.[/b][/purple]

Now, not to brag, but that's how to [blue]step up[/blue] to a challenge without a [blue]toadstool[/blue].

Tim

(not that I'm fishing for [green]condiments[/green], or nothin')

tsdragon said:
Somehow we can always count on Tim to come up with the worst pun!

See, I was right! You just did! Until the next one...

Tracy Dryden

This has been hacking me off for a while now.....started in the 1st gulf war, used in Bosnia etc and also in Iraq II.......Safe Haven......hmmmm - since when was a haven NOT safe ????

You can add to that, any double descriptions where the adjective is inferred in the noun but someone has to specify it anyway....

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

LOL

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks to a posting in another forum, I just remembered another pet peeve: s "spell checker" is something you use to make sure you have the correct number of bat wings and newt's eyes in your potion, a "spelling checker" is what you use to make sure all the words you used are spelled correctly.

Tracy Dryden

So, what do you use to check if newt is spelled correctly in a spell that uses newts, and you need to know how many you need to use?

Glen A. Johnson
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
If you're from the Chicago land area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

A spell spelling checker!
[lol]

I have been just dying laughing at this whole thread, absolutely hilarious!

My peeves are double negatives that are misused like haven't never, the "don't got" usage and my all time favourite has to be referring to oneself as WE.

Makes me want to throw up, LITerally.
I feel as though I should open the skull and see if there is anyone else in there....

My names always get messed up too.
Kimber is female. Why am I not Kimberley? My daughter is named Kimberley. Why did I name her Kimberley?!#@@!!!!
I didn't, my husband did. I still get mail for Mr. Kimber and it doesn't matter what you do they don't change it. I am technical so they assume I am male. Once I married it got worse. My husbands last name is Dutch and we get everything from Bohegan to Boogeyman. [lol]
I have learned to laugh it off.

Thanks for the lift...

Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back