Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pet Peeve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsdragon

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US
What is your current pet peeve vis-a-vis language and usage?

Mine is the relatively new habit of people trying to sound more educated that they obviously are by using the word "myself" a lot. Unfortunately they rarely use it correctly. They usually use it when they mean "me" or "I". For example: "My wife and myself went to Europe this winter," or "The company gave my coworkers and myself a raise."

It just drives me nuts! [hairpull3]

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

CC:

Yes, and it's my middle name, to boot. You're not suggesting I say that every time, are you?

I'd rather say "Rod as in byproduct". :)

I just want people to hear it correctly the first time, but I'm afraid that ship has already sailed thanks to the popularity of the name "Rob".

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

I understand. It is unfortunate, but with a name like Rod(ney), you'll never get any respect. :)

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I'm tellin' ya..<adjusts imaginary tie>

My doctor told me I was in terrible shape. I told him I wanted a second opinion, so he said "you're ugly, too".

No respect at all.

[rofl]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

My problem is not with my first name...mine is with my last name: "Hunt".

Typical customer-service telephone conversation:

Rep: "What is your first name?"
I: "David"
Rep: "What is your last name?"
I: "Hunt"
Rep: [louder and slower]"What is your last name?"
I: "Hunt"
Rep: [much louder and haltingly]"What..is..your..last..name?"
I: [louder and more definitively]"Hun-ttttttt…H-U-N-T”
Rep: [very sheepishly]"Oh, sorry."

Can you imagine the trouble my manager has with his surname: "Bytheway" (pronounced just as it looks: "By-the-way")

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Sigh, I can relate.

I am "Tom" about half the time, whether by phone or in person.

Tim

(and this is before we ever get to the SilentAiche...)

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

WHATEVER, when used as a conversation terminator, has to be the most annoying word on the planet. Anyone with teenagers will agree.

I have here before me a travel agency itinerary and my tickets for an upcoming flight. On the same document, my last name is spelled two different ways (they also got it wrong on the tickets).

Grrr..

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Ticket_Name <> ID_Name = Cavity_Search ;-)

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

A number of posts hear gripe at the usage of non-words, Is this not how a language grows? How many words in use today started as non-words?

What really gets me is how people use words they blatantly have no understanding of e.g. a quote from a co-worker of mine

A fete a compre vis a vis the parameter of the social club

Everybody body is somebodys Nutter.

Yeah...like the newscaster that I just heard on TV that said
Newscaster said:
The suspect was released on his own reconnaissance.
Yikes...I hate it when that happens.,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Speaking of names (well, we were at one point):

I got a credit card a few years ago and the bill arrived addressed to H_______ X. Timothy. I contacted them and advised it should be Timothy X. H_______.

I was advised that if my name had changed due to marriage, I needed to submit legal documentation. I just let it go.

Maybe I can run up the bill and say, "Who, me? But my name is..."

Tim

Actually you legally can. If the name is wrong then it's legally not you. Apparently you can submit a letter disputing it. I think you can send in like ten letters or something and if they don't reply to one of them within 30 days or something they have to remove it. I'm not sure on the specifics but I know it can be done :) Not saying I'd do it, lol.

janie,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the advice, but I can just hear the judge now...

[blue]"Let me see if I have this straight, Mr. Aiche. The bills have been coming to your address for three years and you've made payments on each one. But now, you're saying the debt isn't your's. Is that right? BAILIFF!"[/blue]

Tim [smile]

You mean...

"Let me see if I have this straight, Mr. Aiche. or is it Mr Silent?..."

<Forum Administrator>

One of my pet peeves is threads that drag on too long. Let's put this one to bed.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back