Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise Problem Only At Startup ? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertBC

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Have a PC that is just 11 months old. Yesterday when I started the computer, I got a noise coming from the PC or the DSL modem. It lasted for just a few seconds, until about the time the desktop appeared. It made no further noise the rest of the day and everything worked just fine.

Today the identical thing happened! Even when I shut down the computer for a few hours, the noise did not reoccur when I started up the PC again. The fans seems to be working, so I just don't know what could be causing it.

Any input on what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Robert 8/11 8:20 p.m. ET

I am going to make a wild guess and suggest the noise is coming from your hard disk drive.

If your PC is just 11 months old, please call the manufacturer before your warranty expires.

Yes, without a more precise description, could be a hard disk, a disk drive, a power supply fan, cpu fan... If its under warranty, make sure it hasn't been running a day before its serviced, so they can find the noise.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

RobertBC,

bcastner's probably right about it being the hard disk, particularly if the noise was a click-clunking (hard disk actuator arm) or low pitch rumbling (hard disk spindle bearing).

I think it's highly unlikely to be the DSL modem but another possibility is either the PSU fan or more likely the CPU fan, especially if vertically mounted. When the fan bearings wear (especially nylon instead of ball race) then they can be noisy on startup until they warm up. The heat takes several hours to disperse so leaving the PC off for a few hours may not be long enough for the symptoms to re-occur but leaving it off overnight may do.

If you want to identify the noisy component yourself and are happy taking the case cover off, wait until the next day then:-

1) Disconnect the DSL modem to discount it as the noise source.

2) Switch off mains power to the base unit at the wall socket but leave the power cord connected (in the UK this leaves the base unit un-powered but still earthed... I don't know about elsewhere).

3) Take the case cover off and check the CPU fan doesn't have any cables fallen against it.

4) Remove the power supply lead to the CPU fan (on an 11-month old PC it's most likely a 2-pin flying lead from the CPU fan to the mainboard).

5) Switch on mains power and start the PC to see if noise is present. Switch off again before Windows starts loading (e.g. after no more than 10 seconds) First reason is so there's no risk of the processor overheating. Second reason is that loading the OS is hard disk intensive and you don't want the hard disk bearings warmed up yet. Third reason is you don't want 'Windows failed to load on previous attempt' messages on subsequent bootups. If the noise wasn't present then it's CPU fan (or modem). If the noise was present then...

6) Re-attach power to the CPU fan.

7) Do either of the following:-
a) Start the PC again and place the tip of a screwdriver on the PSU enclosure then place your ear against the other end. If the noise IS present and coming from the PSU fan then you'll hear it greatly amplified. If the noise IS present but NOT amplified then it's probably the hard disk.
b) Stop the PSU fan from being able to rotate by using a screwdriver, pencil, etc. then switch the PC on. Note that you should only do this for a second or two to check whether the noise is present. It sounds drastic but it isn't, providing you don't try to stop the PSU fan when it's already going (You're checking for noise, not sharpening pencils). If the noise isn't present then it's the hard disk (or modem). If the noise is present then it's probably the hard disk.

8) Start the PC again and place the tip of a screwdriver against the hard disk then place your ear against the other end. If the noise is present and coming from the hard disk then you'll hear it greatly amplified.

Oops... almost forgot. On an 11-month old PC it's unlikely but there could be a cooling fan on the graphic card. You can use the 'screwdriver against ear' test to check.

Hope this helps...

Rick

Oops again... It's unlikely ('cos you said the noise started before the desktop appeared) but if you were using the floppy disk drive before the noise started then it could be the OS checking its MRU (Most Recently Used) paths.

The floppy disk check makes quite a distinctive clicketty-clicketty-click noise but the biggest giveaway is the floppy disk access light staying on for more than a second or two.

Rick

Sounds to me like one of the fans is getting bound up. Typical sound is a roaring for a second or two, the time increasing incrementally each time you power it up until a month or two down the line when it fails to come up to speed at all and has continuous noise.
Cheap fans come with powered bronze bearings which tend to gunk up over a period of time.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Now all can see why EdFair is a site gem.

But I will hold to my original advice: you are at the tail end of your warranty period. This is an excellent reason to use the warranty and have the manufacturer fix any problem.

Good morning! Thanks to all that replied. This morning the noise did not stop. In fact, it is continuing very softly right now. Now it has stopped completely.

Yes, the PC is still in warranty. Just wanted to check here for advice before calling my builder. Plan to do so now. Will take the unit to them or have one of the tech come here.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Good morning. Just an update on my noise problem, in the
event you are still interested.

My manufacturer sent a tech guy this morning and it turned out to be one of the fans (made in China, of course). All is well -- for now!.

Thanks again.
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back