Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No network logon box at startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 1999
US
On some Windows 98 laptops I am not able to get a client for ms networks logon without adding the IPX/SPX or NetBEIU protocols. Adding them gives the logon box and allows connection to the network, but isn't a permanent fix since it will cause extra network traffic. Does anyone know why this happens or how to permanently fix it? Help!!!!!!!!

I had this happen only once on a 95 box and this solved my problem, so good luck...<br>
<br>
Delete the following entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net registry key: <br>
AutoLogon=&lt;x&gt;<br>
<br>
This came from Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q141858. Check that out and also don't forget - backup your registry before you do any editing :)<br>

I've seen that article, and we had tried that before the IPX/SPX fix with no luck. Any other suggestions?

If IPX/SPX isn't bound to the client the network login will not come up.

Is TCP/IP actually functioning on these laptops..ie can you ping another workstation or router?<br>
<br>
If you choose Shutdown and logon as a new user are you prompted with the MS Client logon or Windows Logon?<br>
<br>
If only some of the laptops are having this issue, what may be different with the ones that work correctly?<br>
<br>
You may try removing the TCP/IP binding to the NIC and then adding it back. If using DHCP, do the users of these laptops move around alot, possibly to different IP subnets?<br>
Does the issue only occur after a period of time or is it like an out-of-the box experience?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
dxd

Yes I can ping, logging off gives the network logon, there's no apparent differences between the ones that work and the ones that don't, but we're exploring those possibilities, we've played with the bindings with no luck and it is an out-of-the box issue. We're pulling our hair out over here and some of the guys don't have much to begin with. Any more ideas would be gladly accepted.

Hi Allison,<br>
<br>
I have a same problem. Dis you find out what to do?<br>
<br>
Thank'you,<br>
<br>
alissia@snctec.com

Have those Nics been used on other laptops before, have you tried swapping with a known working Nic to verify the integrity of the card, if so then my appologies. I have had similar problems, and deduced that it maybe the card itself. But my true belief is that the MAC address is recorded somewhere for another machine, try deleteting the machine accounts of suspect machines on NT if using NT Server.&nbsp;&nbsp;

We are having the same problem with the following:<br>NIC=3C905C-TX<br>OS=Win98 Second Edition<br>PC=Dell (all makes/models)<br>Protocols: TCP/IP only<br>Client: Client for Microsoft Networks<br><br>We have found that if we install IPX then we ALWAYS get the network logon dialog box.&nbsp;&nbsp;Without IPX, the computer will come up directly to a desktop.&nbsp;&nbsp;The PC, however, does get an IP address from DHCP.<br><br>Our technicians have been on the phone with Microsoft (3+ hours with no resolution), Dell (2 hours with no resolution) and 3Com (they say it's not their problem).<br><br>We have tried every solution provided in Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q141858 with no resolution.<br><br>We are really beginning to believe the problem is a Win98 (2nd edition) driver issue with the 3Com 3C905C-TX NIC.<br><br>Any ideas would certainly be entertained.

I know you guys aren't going to like hearing this, but our problem resolved itself.&nbsp;&nbsp;We had finally given up on trying to fix it and were going to use it as a non-networked machine.&nbsp;&nbsp;Our hardware guy was cleaning it up and when he restarted it the login just came up.&nbsp;&nbsp;He didn't do anything to it.&nbsp;&nbsp;He hadn't rebuilt it or added any software or hardware.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's been working fine for over 2 months now.&nbsp;&nbsp;No one can explain it.

One more tidbit of information, if we wipe the hard drive completely and install the original Windows 98, the 3C905C-TX NICs work fine every time.

We deleted the entire drive, repartitioned, reformatted and rebuilt at least three times and continued to have the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;It sounds like you have something else.&nbsp;&nbsp;We were using laptops with 3C589ET pc cards.

Hello all,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I have read all article at above,I have a same problem,and I have a simple way to solve it.you just add&nbsp;&nbsp;a service &quot;Print and Share....&quot;.you can disable a &quot;SAP&quot;.and it will ok.Sorry,my english is not good.Hope you can understand.

Did anybody ever figure this out? I've tried enabling file and print sharing and that didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back