Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Name Display on 5410 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

franke

Instructor
May 16, 2002
US
Hi all,
I have a customer with an IPO 500, 4.1(9) with a DigDCP 16 V2 expansion module. The problem is the phones plugged into the expansion module are not displaying the users name. They are currently set for the default (i.e.: Extn223) in both the 'Name' and 'Full Name' fields. Any insight on why this is?

Thanks
franke

Perhaps the phones need to upgrade.
If that is not done then the display is moved a bit to the side.

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

lol, ok I'll do both. Thanks much.

TomMills,
I would presume so, the expansion module is v7(8), all the control unit modules are v4.1(9). I say 'presume', because I don't know where the customer got the exp. module (eBay- maybe?). The next time I go out there, I'll try upgrading everything and see what happens.

franke

>I would presume so

don't...

I would, as has been suggested already, upgrade that expansion unit to the correct firmware (to match the main unit) using the required intermediate build. Then you know it has been done.

I am continually suprised by the number of people who still don't know that DS expansion units need an intermediate build, when going to a 4.0 or highere release. To assume that the person who supplied / installed this expansion unit upgraded it correctly is a mistake.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Matt,
Duly noted. Will do.
(btw, that's the reason I chose the word 'presume' rather than 'assume') :)

franke

Good luck!

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Indeed, franke... if they are complaining about issues on equipment you haven't sold or installed then they will not be paying you for maintenance for it, so leave the fault in place until they pay for you to sort out the hardware they have bought elsewhere until that time it's not your issue :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

the expansion module is v7(8), all the control unit modules are v4.1(9)"

Thats also probably the problem. Get everything running on the same level.

ACSS-SME
Get well soon Aaron.

Thanks to all, did the upgrade to rel 5 and all is now well.

As for the sales, what can I say, it's difficult competeing with the internet. In this case, I had not even heard of this customer until I got the repair call, so I guess I should look at it as 'job security'? Made a few dollars fixing this and few other problems left over from their previous vender, plus made a new customer, so, all in all, not a bad day.

Thanks again guys, as always you're advice is right on.

franke

What country are you in franke? we (thankfully) havent had a problem with people trying to buy kit cheaper online in the uk. Mind you, if they were in between vendors, that would explain it.

ACSS-SME
Get well soon Aaron.

Currently in the Chicago, IL USA area but soon to relocate to Tennessee. I wish it were just the internet I was competing against, however, there are contractors that I do sub work for who are not BP's, yet are buying direct from distributors (a supposed no-no) and getting pricing better than I get as a BP. It's somewhat frustrating, to say the least. On the plus side, I get many calls to 'fix' what others have installed. For instance, last week I got called in to a customer who's vendor, after the initial install, refused to respond to the customer. When I got there, I was surprised to find the IPO had over 600 (yes 600) errors. Result was two days labor and a new customer. Since my profit is greater for labor than equipment sales, I guess I can live with the frustration.

hmm, guess I got a bit wordy :)

franke

So the end user gets more discount than a Certified BP ???
Start your own company and act as a end user :)

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

lol, no kidding. Oh well, at least this way I can put Business Partner on the business cards so I've got that working for me :)

i have one with errors, but its not my fault. they insisted on using the 9000 range, and delta server, and CCC. i told them at the time, but what do i know........

ACSS-SME
Get well soon Aaron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back