Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New? Startup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zestril5

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have changed MB, Processor, Power supply, Memory, Hard drive and cables (all one at a time). But my startup (restarting)problem persists.

If I set the Bios to default settings I can't get past the "Verifing..." In Safe mode it gets past this but reboots at the first loading item in safe mode.
If I set the start up for the CD first with my XP Pro disk It goes through all the loading stuff up to "starting windows" and the reboots.

Short of building an entire new system with all new components...any ideas?

check that your jumper on clear cmos is in the correct position, if set to clear system won't boot correctly on some MB's.

Just a hunch!

Can we backtrack a bit - did the machine ever work properly? If so, when did it stop - any likely causes?

Have you tried booting with minimal hardware set? (eg, one memory stick, hard drive, graphics, keyboard - everything else disconnected or diabled)

The system is about a year old. It has worked ok until a couple days ago. Customer reports that there was no warning. he just turned it on in the morning and got what we currently have. Lit hd light and lit cd light.
I replaced cables and checked for master slave etc. on the drives and tried with no cd.
I have tried to boot it only with what is needed to start up. and I have switched out every component individually. ie change memory...no good so put old memory back. then change hd...no good so put old hd back etc.

zestril5 - I think you've covered all the bases I would have tried. It might be worth posting this in the hardware forum - (forum602) - as it's likely a hardware issue, and someone there might just have seen this.

OK I'll do that. Thanks for the responses.

zestril5 - I have had similar problems to yours in the past. In my case, the first memory slot was bad. I left first memory slot empty, and started with memory slot 2.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back