Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new page...that i just dont want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mission2java

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I continue to get a blank page that just keeps coming out on my report even when I have checked everything!

I have a page header
details a
details b
details c
details d
page footer

All the details section each have their own subreport. I have made sure that I have checked off the option to suppress the subreport if there is no data. I noticed I ran a report which in the db had no records for details d. And it still prints a blank page with a page header (the time) and a page footer (the page number). The middle of that page has absolutely NO information!!!!
I do not have a check mark in trhe section expert for new page after!!!!

Can someone please help me out...
Thanks,
Jon

Hi lbass,

Tried this. My report footer by default is suppressed so i left that alone. Im thinking you wanted to see what happens on the last page from within my crystal viewer by getting rid of the page header and footer (suppressing it) logical idea. So I went ahead and did this. I then view the report in crystal first..and it looks fine..perfect number of pages. Then I view my report in my application viewer...it again shows one additional EMPTY page with NOTHING on it at all...

Also tried your second method already several times...with the same results. Too many pages (1 additional) from my viewer as opposed to crystal. I am completly baffled

Tell your users it is a feature. They get a free sheet of paper every time they print the report.

I took a look at your "video" and I think you are going to have to describe your report better.

Bear with me, since I haven't used CR 9 so the look is a bit different.

But from what I saw...it seems to me that you are using many sections of Page headers and detail sections.

I think you should clearly outline how your report is constructed. that is ALL the gorey detail

not seeing any grouping at all in the main report and all those page header sections leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Ok...

I actually thought I designed it very slick...
And very clean...but if you insist.

Lets start off with the main report.
At the top I have a page header A and a page header B.

Page Header A simply shows the customer site name and a description of the project.
Page Header B simply displays the Quote number, a due date, and the title of the report ("Enclosure 3").
I needed to create two page headers because the system description may get longer then one line, and even if I enable can grow it still goes on top of anything under it. So creating page header B (as suggested in another thread) fixed this problem.

You can find these headers circled here:

The next portion of the report are subreports. I have 4 subreports. Details a, b, c, d are all sub reports for transports, pallets, stations, and optional items.

You can find these here:

My main reports header and footer is suppressed since I do not need a cover page or an ending page. Finally the last bit of my report is the page footer. This area simply displays the date and the time along with the page number of the report.

So thats it!!!! I originally thought I kept the report clean as you can see in the images.

Now I will show you one portion of the subreport since the others are IDENTICAL. Here is the subreport of the transports:

Now the reason there are a lot of Group Header #1A, #1B, #1C...is because these text boxes GROW enormously because of the amount of data. So this ensures that the reports data for these text boxes does NOT overlap any other text box. If I put these text boxes underneath one another this would BE very messy in that the data would overlap another text box. My details section displays the components for the transport. Since there are MORE than 1 it needs to be in the detail section to list them all out.

Again this report displays all data CORRECTLY...in fact it works PERFECTLY FINE in crystal. It just displays one additional page in my viewer. So I'm not sure what you mean by leaving a bad taste in your mouth???

If anyone needs more information let me know.

Thanks,
Jon

Obviously then this is a report for only one customer ID

My suggestion is that you add a grouping to the report based on Customer ID

Do everything that you do in the Page headers in that group header and suppress the page header/footer as well as the Group footer. Leave the detail section alone.

This will change nothing as far as the basic look of the report but maybe will solve your extra page problem.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

No its not only for one customer...it can be for many...
See my vb client asks if they would like to select a customer. If they do it will use filtering code to just show that customer...if they dont it does not filter anything.

Besides...it really is grouped by a customer...
well really a ProposalID. See a proposal has ONE customer. It is ALREADY grouped by ProposalID.

Jon

Let me remind you...the report when opened in Crystal opens perfectly fine. But if this report is open from my crystal viewer of my app it shows an additional page ALL THE TIME.
I have changed sections, margins, printers etc..with no luck

well I see stuff in the Page header that belongs in group headers then...I saw no evidence of groups in your main report from the pics I saw

If this isn't the answer then I have nothing else to suggest.

Jim Broadbent

It is grouped trust me...the thing is I had made the group header and footer really really small so you could not see it. As for the data it does need to be in the page headers. I want to see the title of the report and the customer site at the top of every page. Besides I even tried lbass's recommendation of suppressing both page header and footer to see if it still came up...and of course it did. I cant believe this problem...it is SOO strange...I mean HOW IN THE WORLD is this extra page coming out on the viewer and not in crystal...i just cant see it.

Thanks everyone for your continued help...if this thing ever gets fixed ill post back.

Jon

Ok...
Curious as to why this is happening I decided to dig deeper...so I deleted some subsections and this still seem to be a problem. It worked in crystal but not in my viewer.
So then I decided to dig even deeper...so I double clicked on a subreport and opened up the sections a bit more...showed a lot more white space. I then viewed the report in crystal perfect...but i viewed the report in my viewer and it added another page...

So now im like ok it has to do with how much white space. Immediately when I shrunk all the white space it fit the data all on the same page in crystal and in my viewer. So i created more white speace by moving the groups up and down. In crystal perfectr number of pages. In my viewer an additional page. When I shrunk it down, my viewer showed the right number of pages. I have the subreport to suppress if there is no data. I also went to the file menu and ensured that all the report options were correct.

What gives ??

Am I closer to a solution ?

Doubt it..

look I will Quote from an earlier post of mine

"I think you should clearly outline how your report is constructed. that is ALL the gorey detail"

You didn't do this...I only see page headers and details....you say there are groups but made tiny.... YOU STILL HAVEN'T LAID OUT THE STRUCTURE OF YOUR REPORT.

You can tweak, fiddle whatever with your report. But failing to provide the most basic of information has resulted in a thread of 70 odd posts with no solution.

I have lost interest....good luck

Jim Broadbent

One thing you can try, not sure if it'll help though. Right click on the subreport and select "Edit Subreport". Then go to File...Report Options and check "Suppress Printing If No Records". Then go back to the main report, right click on the section in which the subreport is placed, select "Section Expert" and check "Suppress Blank Section" box. See if this helps.

Already did that...

Also for NGOLEM with all his yelling..I did explain what else do you need to know. I told you ITS GROUPED BY ONE THING ... A PROPOSALID which is basically one customer..jeezzzzz...

There isn't much more to the report...as I said it PRINTS OUT CORRECTLY IN CRYSTAL SO APPARENTLY IM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. I have provided all the pictures, the video, and everything, I will sort this out myself...I dont need people BOLDING or YELLING as you have.

Thanks to all who took the time.

Jon

Maybe that's the viewer that causing problems. Looks like you are using the ActiveX viewer, try to look for updates/fixes for it.

I don't know if this is any help, as I haven't used a VB viewer so don't know if this applies, but are the page margins set the same in Crystal and the Viewer? I had some weird differences between the Crystal output and the output in the program we use (which allows custom Crystal Reports). I then noticed that the margins were miles out.

So whilst you may have it setup perfectly for Crystal, it's off for the viewer (where margins are larger, so footers etc overflow?)

I just searched back, and this was already suggested. But I have another question - is your extra page after a full page, or is it also occuring following a page which is half empty? Also, check if you have any 'New Page Before's ticked. It may be starting a new page before the report footer?

Rikki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back