Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new page...that i just dont want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mission2java

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I continue to get a blank page that just keeps coming out on my report even when I have checked everything!

I have a page header
details a
details b
details c
details d
page footer

All the details section each have their own subreport. I have made sure that I have checked off the option to suppress the subreport if there is no data. I noticed I ran a report which in the db had no records for details d. And it still prints a blank page with a page header (the time) and a page footer (the page number). The middle of that page has absolutely NO information!!!!
I do not have a check mark in trhe section expert for new page after!!!!

Can someone please help me out...
Thanks,
Jon

You seem to have checked all of the commong issues, so I may not be able to solve your problem here in TT. But we can look at one more thing if you want.

All of my questions relate to the design tab of the main report. Don't go into the subreports.

There should be a ruler on the left edge of each section in the main report. These tell you the height (veritial size) of each section. How many inches show on the page header or page footer of the main report?

Now take Details D. This is a section with a subreport in it. Is the vertical size of Details D larger than the vertical size of the subreport object. In other words is there empty space in the details section above or blow the subreport object.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

The only way to confirm that it is the same report is to make an obvious change to the report (add a label in the PH) and see that change show up when the report is run from the app.

- tek@kenhamady.com

This is driving me NUTS.

I added a label in the report that gave me the correct number of pages and ran it in crystal. Looks good 13 pages...no empty pages. Then I ran that report in my client and it showed the label but it still had 14 pages with the one empty page!

I dont think i will ever get this...

Read faq149-237 and then start a new thread for this issue.

- tek@kenhamady.com

This is the classic...how do I suppress a subreport if there is no data question.

The answer to that is that you cannot suppress the section in the main report containing the Subreport....Crystal will see the subreport object even though there is nothing to display....hence "Suppress Blank Section" for that section won't work....the best you can do is make the subreport

1. As thin as you can make it in the main report but enable the "Can Grow" so it grows it's proper size when there is data.
2. Position the subreport to the top of a section and make the lower border as snug as possible to the bottom of the subreport.
3. make sure that the borders of the subreport are eliminated and All sections of the subreport are suppressed when there is no data

this way a thin line will be all that is visible.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Jim the thing is the number of pages come up correctly in Crystal...

It shows every page with all the data. The problem is when I open this up in VB it shows one additional page.

I am using Crystal 9
VB 6
I have used the Crystal OCX to create the viewer in VB.
I then in my front end simply open the report...i do nothing else. On crystal it shows the correct number of pages 13...on my viewer it shows 14. So we've past the part where I said it shows one extra page in crystal...now im wondering why it shows on extra page when opened from vb. The report is the same..I did as ken said and put a label to ensure this..and it was the same report.

Jon

can't help you sorry

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Ngolem,
Your statements regarding suppressing a section in a main report that contains a blank subreport are completely wrong. Right click on the subreport and select Format Subreport. On the Subreport tab, select Suppress Blank Subreport. Then in the section that contains the subreport, select Suppress Blank Section.
Your solution was the best way in 8.5, but Crystal resolved this issue in 9.

Mission2java,
Double click on this blank page and see if it drills down into your subreport. If so, follow the directions above. If not, let us know what you are drilling into.

Like I said the number of pages are correct in crystal...and surprisingly INCORRECT in my vb viewer..it always shows an additional page..even though it shows up correctly in crystal and is the same report.

Jon

And you have suppressed the report footer, of course?

-LB

Where and how ???

On the empty page I just have the page header which is the name of the report, and the page footer which has the time and date stamp. In the middle there is nothing...
Im not too certain what you mean by drill down. If i go to a page with a record in the middle and double click it it shows me all the details split up...if thats a drill down.
If i go to the page with nothing and double click it nothing happens.

Jon

That is what I mean by drill-down. Do you get a Tool- Tip when you hover over the empty section?

Where is the empty page located (beginning, middle, end)?

I cant believe this is happening to me...

Crystal shows exactly 14 pages..perfect. I open this same report in my viewer and it shows 15~! I dont know who to blame. The viewer is just opening the report...how could it possibly tack on another page ?

So confused, dont know how to explain this to management, or even to forums in general...vb issue? crystal issue?
my issue :-(.

What a way to ruin my thanksgiving week!

When I hover over pages that have data in the middle yes i do get a tool tip which may read:

Subreport:SubTransports

Or on some:
Subreport:SubPallets

And even:
Subreport:SubStations

This also gives me a magnifyng glass when I hover in the middle.

The last page however just has the mouse arrow no glass, and also no tool tip.
The empty page is at the end only in my viewer and not in crystal at all.

Jon

Never being one to admit when I am beat, I would right click on the report footer, select Format Section, click the x-2 conditional suppress button and enter Onlastrecord;.

I am thinking that perhaps your report page doesn't exactly fit in your viewer, so the report footer is being pushed to the extra page.

GMcNamara - Sorry sir....did not read the one line earlier that identified the CR version as 9.0 ... so I wasn't "completely" wrong ... :)

But I also note that this is VB6 used with CR 9. Now I might be totally out of line but this may be a VB/CR compatibility issue. I know that packaged CR versions with VB are never up to speed with stand alone versions.

Jim Broadbent

What about having a shared variable on the subreport which evaluates to True when the subreport in question is empty. Then use this to suppress Eg the page footer (if there is one) IN THE SUBREPORT, as well as on the main report. It may well be a case of the page footer or report footer on the main report being just too big to fit on the last page and hence it spills over onto the last page. Since there is no data to put in the middle section - you see this as a blank area.

Jon one final point and I mean this in the nicest way. I am sure most of us tek-tips users have all had times when it seems Crystal is a secret weapon sent from space to drive the human race insane. Take a deep breath on this one and go back to basics. Check every option as if you have never seen this report before. Typically when I start going doolally on a report, then I will never get the solution. We feel your pain! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back