Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New look website

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepingbusy

Programmer
Apr 9, 2000
GB
Congratulations to Tek-Tips on the new look website. I'm sure some additional comments from users in this forum would be appropriate and appreciated

Lee

VisFox Version 6 User / Windows ME

Stella,

The green star on the left of each forum name serves the same purpose.

No, it doesn't. Marvin and I were referring to the individual items in "My threads". These normally appear in bold, to indicate that there is a new message. Now, all the times appear in the same non-bold style.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Mike,

Oh, you are talking about "My threads". I didn't realize yet it doesn't show changes now.

I thought, though, that Marvin was talking about "My threadminder". At least that's what he actually wrote (I don't know what he meant).

How do you guys navigate from thread to thread? I no longer see a "Next Thread" control. -Jim

Jim,
I, personally, have never really used the "Next Thread" control. Since I don't have time to read every single thread, I just press "Forum" tab on the top of the middle part, or "Back to Forum" link on the right, and then select the next thread I would like to read. If you read them all, though, this way will probably take much more time then "Next Thread".

Mike,

I found that the green star in "My threadminder" works but has some time-lag.

Marvin

While I like the new forum from an appearance perspective, Tek-Tips is slow to support non-Micro$oft browsers such as Netscape. This was a problem also the last time they changed things.

Most of forum "things" work with Netscape, but the webpage goes off-screen to the right of Netscape's "window" and there is no horizontal scroll bar to allow access to the "hidden" right portion of the page.

Also below the Your Reply box are the checkboxes. The Signature checkbox is OK, but its caption is neither BOLD amd Umderlined like the other captions nor is it on the same line as the other captions (it is below one line).

I am certain that there are other "gotchas" for non-Micro$oft browsers and I will most likely encounter them over time.

These are "nits" compared to the over-all positive value of the Tek-Tips Forum. But hopefully they will eventually be addressed - our clients would epect it of us, so we can't be too out of line to expect it of others.

JRB-Bldr

Stella,

Oh, you are talking about "My threads". I didn't realize yet it doesn't show changes now.

That's right. The green stars still work. But now, when you go into My Threads, you have no way of seeing which ones have new messages, other than going into each thread in turn, which is a big nuisance. I hope they fix it.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Stella,

Of course I have a handle. It looks like a bug.

Bren
Project Team Head
Philippines

Mike,
I see now. It's really a major inconvenience.

For now, I just go to each of my forums that have green stars and check, which of my threads bounced to the top and showing in bold. Not exactly a shortcut.

But it seems that Marvin was really talking about "My threadminder".

Bren/foxwizard,
Now I see it, in your latest post. In your old one it's still doesn't appear. It's weird.

well i guess there are still some problems with regards to this site's new look and functionality. sometimes am able to view the faq (or other site's features), sometimes i can't. and sometimes when i try to view a thread in a particular forum, it gives me the "The page cannot be displayed." error message. i guess this site is still in the process of transformation. i just hope things will be as normal as before soon. [smile]

peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Mike,
...I have to log in each time, wheras Tek Tips used to remember my login between sessions. This is despite the fact that I tick the "remember me" box, and cookies are properly enabled.
While on the home page, try clicking any of the forums you participate in. It will automatically log you in.

Just had an email notification from this thread and it now seems to be working again when you click on the link within the email notification

Looks like the work IS going on in the background as we "Post"

Regards
Lee.....

Medic,

While on the home page, try clicking any of the forums you participate in. It will automatically log you in

But you don't see the list of forums you participate in until after you have logged in.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

The "My threads" section is definitely worse than before. The fact that the titles of updated sections do not appear in bold makes it much harder to navigate. In fact, it's harder even to read the titles than it used to be. I hope they manage to fix this.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

I agree with your last Mike and hope so to!

Excellent new site. Nicely done. I have just posed a new thread and the tip says use for italics and then for italics off, but this didn't seem to work.

As far as I can tell this is if you put bold and italics on. Did this do this before? Can you do such a thing, or is it an oversite in the coding???

Other than that, good site. Nice and tidy.

Fitz

It should be working

and in bold

and in bold italic!

(That was in preview mode, so if it didn't come out when I posted to this thread then there is a problem, but of course I wouldn't have known that until I did....... Huh!)

Lee.....

Obviously it's working

Lee....

Mike,
But you don't see the list of forums you participate in until after you have logged in.
Sorry, I was referring to those forum names listed on the home page. In fact, you can click on any of the forum names to login in. Clicking on a forum name doesn't bring you to that forum though. It just logs you in (i.e. initiates your session).

I like the Pegasus logo. Does that mean I can use my Mobil Speedpass to login?

cs990517.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back