Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape unable to create Network Socket Connection 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2729

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
Hi all, have a small business network situation(2 computers) running Win98. Both computers see each other and print to a shared printer. Previously both computers could access the internet using a LAN connection through local cable company. Now one computer is unable to get to the internet. Getting message "Netscape was unable to create network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down." Neither situation is true. I have removed and reinstalled the TCP/IP connections. There was an install of McAfee VirusScan and Firewall that created all kinds of problems but I have gone and manually removed all those files and we have been able to access the internet since then. There does not appear to be anything else that was done to the computer but when trying to access the Internet with either Netscape or Internet Explorer there is no connection. It's like Netscape can't see the connect. Any thoughts, please?

I use Win 98 with a Linksys router on a DSL line and your solution saved the day. Thanks a million.

Another butt saved big-time! Many thanks to GL700 for the awesome troubleshooting tip!

I was fixing a win millennium computer. After running adaware 6.0, lost my internet. Thank god netscape communicator gave me the error so I could find this solution. What a great fix! I wonder if this solution would fix winsock in win 2000/xp? Anyway, thanks for the brilliant solution!

I provide computer services in my area.
With out the web and forums as this, Many users would be down and out.
Many thanks to GL700 for the accurate reply.
This machine also winME, and I also ran Ad-aware 6.0.
But I will further check if the spyware changed parameters that ad-aware found and deleted. There was a lot of spyware on the machine.
Thanks again.

Thank you GL700.
I found this through a search on the keyword phrase "how to repair network socket". I was not able to get IE to show up any websites and I tried Netscape and got the network socket error message. This finally led me to this forum. I'm running Win ME and the instructions worked a treat. [thumbsup2]

Thanks GL 700. This worked first time like everyone else.

I think the winsock2 file got corrupted when I uninstalled the McAfee Firewall - it was causing my small LAN grief.

My problem is also occurring in Windows XP Professional on another PC. I can't find Dial up networking to be able to uninstall/reinstall winsock 2.

The nearest thing I can find is under Network Services- "Internet GAteway Device Discovery and Control Client".

I dont want to nuke this before I get some advice.

Thanks in advance,
"Bones"

Thanks GL 700. This worked first time for me like everyone else.

I think the winsock2 file got corrupted when I uninstalled the McAfee Firewall - it was causing my small LAN grief.

My problem is also occurring in Windows XP Professional on another PC. I can't find Dial up networking to be able to uninstall/reinstall winsock 2.

The nearest thing I can find is under Network Services- "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client".

I dont want to nuke this before I get some advice.

Thanks in advance,
"Bones"

For Windows XP if you get the 'No adapter is in a state permissable' message, or 0.0.0.0 as an IP address, or 'not a socket' message, or 'insufficient resources to complete' message from your browser software, or ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew, then your Winsock service stack is likely corrupt. The corruption can occur from cookie or ad cleaners, anti-virus software, the un-installation of network adapters and services, and from other causes.

Use this utility. It will remove the Winsock and Winsock2 registry entries, insert new registry entries from a clean install of XP, and then do a netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt sequence for you:

Best.
bcastner

I'm having the same trouble and am using XP Home. Bcastner's link can not be found by my ISP, so I need manual instructions. There is no dial-up networking in add/remove programs or windows components, and nothing in the control panel (that I could find, anyway). Please let me know how to un/reinstall my dial-up networking. Thanks!

Stiltzkin: you can't uninstall/reinstall DUN under XP (it's considered a core component). You have to use a repair program like the one provided by BCastner.

You should just be able to right-click the link then select "save as" to save to your hard drive.
I've just tested it - the link is up and running at this time!
good luck...

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I simply can not connect with that site, whether I select &quot;Save as&quot; or just click the link. Though, it says &quot;members.shaw.etc&quot; so I thought maybe I had to be a member of whatever this is to access the file, but it appears to be an ISP (no way to become a member of that site without using their service!) Hmmm, I Googled around and the file appears to exist only on that site. I don't know much about this area of tech, so help me out here. Thanks for any support!

Stiltzkin,

I just tried before writing this and it worked fine. I just clicked the link and the download window appeared.

It may be that the security settings you have on IE are too restrictive. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Security and lower the security level and try again.

If you still cannot succeed, you could recreate the process yourself. You should have access to another computer running Windows XP.

1. Go to regedit on the other computer, and find these two keys, one at a time:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

For each key to a File, Export to a file. Copy these two .reg files to a floppy or whatever.

Go to regedit on the problem machine and find the two same keys. One at a time delete them. (File, delete)
Exit regedit.
Now click the two .reg files from the other machine one at a time and let Windows add them to the registry.

Reboot.

Now do a:

Start, Run, CMD session.
From the command line type:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot.

Well, I found an old registry backup and restored it and now everything works ok. Though I still cannot make that link work :mad: Thanks for the help anyways! Heh...

Help!!
I have a customer with this error but she uses a Mac OS 9.0 and Netscape 4.7 I got no solutions after about 2 hours of searching.

Thanx in advance,
Nick.

Ok I just called her back and her in house tech fixed it o_O
Still curious as to what the solution was for future reference though... an article was saying something about a corrupt MacTCP DNR file.

Nick.

When I get to the 'Hkey_local_machine' > 'system' directory I have TWO 'Current Control Set' directories. What should I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back