Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape unable to create Network Socket Connection 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2729

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
Hi all, have a small business network situation(2 computers) running Win98. Both computers see each other and print to a shared printer. Previously both computers could access the internet using a LAN connection through local cable company. Now one computer is unable to get to the internet. Getting message "Netscape was unable to create network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down." Neither situation is true. I have removed and reinstalled the TCP/IP connections. There was an install of McAfee VirusScan and Firewall that created all kinds of problems but I have gone and manually removed all those files and we have been able to access the internet since then. There does not appear to be anything else that was done to the computer but when trying to access the Internet with either Netscape or Internet Explorer there is no connection. It's like Netscape can't see the connect. Any thoughts, please?

Oh wait, nevermind i got it. I just used system restore. that fixed it =)

This did indeed the trick also here on our WinME machine...

Here, too, either a virus (which I found one only) or some
Internet-Appliance caused the trouble (MSN-Explorer).

We, too, did a over-install of WinME with no effect;
already thought the ethernet-card was fried, but we did
had an IP assigned by our ISP, so that was not the case.

May we always find such good and easy solutions to all
Windumb-Problems

Thanks GL700! After installing some new hardware and software (including a 1394 firewire adapter that surprised me by showing up with its own TCP/IP protocol in the network along side two other TCP protocolsfor: dial-up adapter and network card) on my WinME computer, I got this error. After many frustrating attempts to fix it by removing the 1394 adapter entry and by reinstally the network card's TCP/IP connection, I did a google search and found your solution. It worked, what for me, was a miracle! Thanks.

Hi, I was about to reinstall windows to get this machine connected to verizon DSL, did a search like the guy above on google and saw this fix.

Thanks for this simple solution!!!

;)

GL700.... You Rock!! I spent 3 days agonizing over that fix. I should've looked for your fix, before I spent endless hours on microshafts website. Thanks a Million! I hope you win the Lottery! You deserve it! :)

Wow, your a life saver. Thank you very much, GL700. And thank you Fitzie for making as easy as possible for a moronasourous rex like me.

Thanks very much. I also had a failed McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall that left my W98 machine out. You really saved me from a reinstall and lots of pain.

Excellent forum -- like many others, I was about to start the recovery process on my desktop, wiping out 2 years worth of customization when Google pointed me to this site. Thanks for the help, saved me untold agony.

Wow...all this praise...get this guy a beer!!! or two.

After dealing with the pointless circle of tech support
from ISP, To NIC support, to the support from the computer company , and back to ISP, I' d like to jump on the band wagon and say thanks GL700 your solution was on target.

Thanx a lot!! This worked for me too. However, I'm not running Windows 98 - I'm running Windows ME. I had to delete the folder -- My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

Take care.
-

Thanx a lot!! This worked for me too. However, I'm not running Windows 98 - I'm running Windows ME. I had to delete the folder -- My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

Take care.
-

thank you so much for this post. i cannot believe how many tech support phone calls you have saved.

Also, another thank-you for this advice...this also saved me a lot of time. In my case, I only had an ethernet connection, no modem or dial-up networking. I still deleted the winsock2 folder, then installed dial-up networking which re-created the winsock2 folder, and everything works great!

Saved me. After days of IE6wzrd caused an error in <unknown> with Win Me. Deleted Winsock2 folder and Netscape and IE6wzrd works.

Mucho Gusto.

I've been experiencing this problem in Windows 2000 with a cable modem connection through a Linksys router. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back