Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape unable to create Network Socket Connection 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2729

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
Hi all, have a small business network situation(2 computers) running Win98. Both computers see each other and print to a shared printer. Previously both computers could access the internet using a LAN connection through local cable company. Now one computer is unable to get to the internet. Getting message "Netscape was unable to create network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down." Neither situation is true. I have removed and reinstalled the TCP/IP connections. There was an install of McAfee VirusScan and Firewall that created all kinds of problems but I have gone and manually removed all those files and we have been able to access the internet since then. There does not appear to be anything else that was done to the computer but when trying to access the Internet with either Netscape or Internet Explorer there is no connection. It's like Netscape can't see the connect. Any thoughts, please?

THANK YOU THANK YOU GL700. Reinstalled WIN98 over the current directory, uninstalled TCP/IP, all NIC adapters, tried installing new NIC. I figured try going online and you're the first person to actually have an answer that works!!!!

On the verge of a reformat...

I'm still having this problem. I'm using DUN 1.4 on Windows 95. I get the error message upon opening of Netscape, and I'm unable to telnet. On top of that, the Windows 95 installation disk won't let me do anything because it thinks a control panel device setting has changed when I haven't changed anything.

Any ideas other than a reformat and reinstall of Windows 95?

GL700 is in fact *THE MAN*!!

This fix worked where many, many TCP/IP reinstalls, attempts to update NIC drivers, etc. had failed. I was about >< far away from trying to upgrade the old win98 box in place to winXP, which i'm sure would have been a horrible can of worms to open!

Thanks again. I have announced this page and the other page linked above to friends of mine on a chat!

i followed your fix to the letter but opted out of the registry backup. it worked. after reworking the network bindings to optimize internet security and bringing network neighborhood back up to the desktop everything is working great. was having problems with win95 in my laptop and upgraded to 98 when i lost my browser/s socket connection capability. thanks again for the information. it's all good!

Amazing. I am an experienced home networker, and I couldn't get Internet access on I computer I upgraded after working on it for 8 hours. Tried GL700's solution and bingo, it was fixed.

I found this website by typing &quot;Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection&quot; in Google returned a bunch of related links but NONE of them had the right answer EXCEPT the answer provided by this website!!! I wasn't sure how to &quot;uninstall dial-up networking.&quot; I took a guess and simply deleted &quot;Dial-Up Adaptor&quot; from the Control Panel. For those who were lost like me, click on Start|Settings|Control Panel|Network. In the list of adaptors, click on &quot;Dial-Up Adaptor&quot; and then click on the &quot;Remove&quot; button. Then click &quot;OK&quot; to close the Network window. When asked to reboot, say yes. How do you re-install Dial-up Networking? After Win98 reboots, click on &quot;Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs|Windows Setup. UNcheck every box except &quot;Communications&quot;. Double click on &quot;Communications&quot; and UNcheck every box except &quot;Dial-Up Networking.&quot; Then click OK, then OK again which will start the re-install of Dial-up networking. After rebooting, the Winsock2 folder and its settings will be recreated in the registry.

nearly a year later and ppl are still getting fixes here - GL700 is an institution! - this is a much broader issue than a Netscape network socket issue tho - in my case it was AOHell that corrupted my Winsock2 file and prevented MIE from loading pages even tho I could ping. I got here as a result of installing netscape to try to provide a browser alternate thinking that MIE was bad. Netscape returned that msg and we found this reference when searching. After 3 reinstalls of 98 at that! I admit GL700 is very good and I am eternally grateful as I have a big project coming up - but the MAN is the guy who can fix kernel32.dll page faults - where are you oh guru of gurus?

Thanks a lot!
This solved our problem - without having to format / reinstall windows etc.

Can't thank you enough GL 700! I'd been jumping through the requisite hoops of getting a home ethernet network installed when the now infamous &quot;network socket connection&quot; problem reared it's ugly head. My wife bailed me out by searching Google for the error on our functional PC and voila!, your answer appeared.

Your suggestion, with timzter's step by step instructions (Jun 2, 2002), cleared up the problem on the first try. My network is now operational and my wife and I couldn't be happier. I agree with Dave (Jun 11, 2002) - you are an institution. The fact that your solution is still helping people is not only a testament to your knowledge, but also to just how frequently PC software problems arise and how cryptic the error messages can be. If you're not making money in the PC/Microsoft/windows support business, you sure should be.

Thanks again from the bottom of our hearts!

P.S. Anyone know what causes this problem?

Same thing.. I could ping but not surf.. and looked long and hard for this answer! Thank you!

Thanks GL700 & Timzter! It took 3 days of experimenting (& rebooting) & searching on Google before I found this page!

But...

Yes, after following GL700's & Timzter's my one ornery workstation is now surfing wonderfully. However by unchecking things in Windows Setup as per Timzter I found that my Wordpad shortcut icons were now pointing at IE5. I use Wordpad a lot.

So an additional step: make sure you're unchecking only those programs you don't need -- Windows will uninstall the unchecked.

Wow! It worked for me too! NAV quarantined several viruses which started my problem. I too, spent hours re-installing Windows & Netscape as well as changing several settings back and forth. My computer expert was ready to give me a new hard drive. Luckily, I found this web site with the answer to my problem!

Simple steps to help you &quot;navigate&quot; your way to the Windows Registry: (I stumbled)

Make a back up of windows registry:

Start, Programs, Windows Explorer, File (on tool bar), new, folder, name it abc (so it's listed first in directory),
Click on Windows folder, (scroll down to) regedit.exe and highlight but don't double click,
On Tool bar click edit, copy,
click once on new abc folder, edit, paste (this is your back up of the windows registry, you can delete this abc folder when you are up and runnning again.)

To Delete Winsock2 folder:

click Windows folder, double click on regedit.exe folder,
(Dbl click on each folder) Hkey_local_machine, system, current control set, services
(Do not dbl click on Winsock2) just press delete key on Winsock2 folder, close windows explorer (click black x at top right)

Uninstall Dial-up Networking:

My computer, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, (I did not have a remove button, so I had to double click on Communications to get to Dial-Up Networking and then take the checkmark out of the box and leave it empty.) Reboot
Check to see that Dial-Up Networking does not have an icon in the Control Panel. If it is still there, it is not uninstalled yet.

Install Dial-Up Networking

My computer, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, NOW UN-check every box except Communications and then double click on Communications.
NOW UN-check everything except Dial-Up Network, ok, ok and it will re-install.

My computer asked for the Windows 98 SE CD and then couldn't find a file, I said ok and it started to scan CD and all was fine from there. REBOOT and enjoy having your computer back in working order!

Fitzie

Wow! Thanks so much. I was about to do something terrible to my system, which is also a 2 computer system networked via DSL router and modem, etc. I tried a re-install of Win98 without success.

That's great but how would i do it on XP? I can't figure out how to delete dial-up networking OR TCP/IP. Can someone help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back