Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD73

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi

Does anyone have any information on how the 'net send' command works?

I have the same problem. I can't send message between NT 4.0 and 2000. Messages work for NT only or 2000 only.
And ... this feature as already worked but now fail !
All messager services are running ant I get a 2273 error.

What is the method used for resolving host name by net send ?
All other 'net xxx' services worked ! (net view, use, ...)

Thanks for any help.
Florian.

Ok, now we've thoroughly discussed how to SEND stuff... my question is how can a visual basic programmer set up a script to INTERCEPT/RECEIVE the text from the messenger service before that annoying popup box interferes with what a user is trying to type?

Anyone have a suggestion?
------------------------------------
[yinyang] 18 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

how do u send a message over the internet, so it will just pop up in the little window, someone has been sending me many of these little messages, I would relaly like to know the command for it

Wow, what a great illustration of why people need to be running a quality firewall, and the potential danger M$ imposes on users by defaulting unneeded services to ON.

to craigd,
net sent

net send is a ms dos massege that helps to send messeges through the network.
syntex:
net send (name of the computer or ip add) (messege)

Gday, after viewing this little forum, i tried to send messages through my network connection through msdosprmpt. my problem is that it doesnt recognise "send",
ne1 have any suggestions?
cheers

Works for W2K and later. Also, go to dos and type net ?. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

"Ideas control the world."
James A. Garfield (1831-1881) US president.

does anyone know how to kill a current netsend message. actually what i mean is, in a network when one sends a messgae it pops up on all the machines currently running/logged on. The message then popups on the rest of the machines as they are logged in which were not in use at the time the message was sent. I would like to know how to prevent these messages to popup on machines which didn't get this popups yet.
This is if message was sent to the whole domain.
Please respond

thanks
raza

Anyone know the actual protocol...
Sending plain udp messages to port 138 doesn't work...
I'm guessing it needs more info than just the message.

I'd like to know how to limit reception of net send messages to particular machines. (I don't want to kill the messenger service, as we use it in our environment to send messages out to large numbers of machines at a time, but I do want to stop net sends coming in from machines other than the ones we use.)

Ok, I want to send a message to one of my friends. But they're not connected to my network. Is there a way to send them a pop up message through the IP. I know it can be done because i get these annoying pop up messages. Can someone please help?

If your friend is using xp and not using a firewall and you know his ip address

net send ip address message text

Hi all,

I would like to net send all the computer in my domain?
HOw would I be able to do that? Thanks.

Love always,
Kevin Z
Techncial Support specailist
kevin@hsmc.com

By typing NET SEND /? you get:

NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

Therefore all you need to do is:

NET SEND /DOMAIN[:name] message

heya, ive got windows ME and that doesn't recognize NET SEND either. is there anything i can do do add SEND to the list of what is recognized.

cheers,
hairyspider

"NET SEND" is only available on the NT platform. To send messages from win9X/ME you would need to run a third party app like "WinPopUp.exe". mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

heya, ive loaded up WinPopUP.exe but i still cant get messages thru to other people on the network. is WinPopUP not compatible with the XP or NT platform.

Hairyspider

Dont be afraid of walking slowly, be afraid of standing still.

Hairyspider,

You would need to run WinPopUp on all the systems you would like to send to. mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

Or alternatively mess95.exe, which can be run at startup and runs silently in the background. Will allow anyone running it to receive NET SEND messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back