Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD73

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi

Does anyone have any information on how the 'net send' command works?

ive got WinPopUp and RealPopUp,(an upgrade), but can people still receive messages if the PopUp program is not running?

Hairyspider

Dont be afraid of walking slowly, be afraid of standing still.

WinPopUp needs to be running at all times to send and receive messages. mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

Okay, ive got the hang of it now. cheers mot98. it kinda pisses me off. i found this site that gives a program for netsend on Win 95, 98, 2000, NT and XP. The only one they dont have is WIn ME. How annoyin is that.
anyway, thanx for the help

yours always,
pet Hairyspider

Dont be afraid of walking slowly, be afraid of standing still.

If it works on 98 it will probably work on ME. Regardless mess95.exe works on them all.

If it works on 98 it will probably work on ME. Regardless mess95.exe works on them all.

Does anyone know how net send messages can be intercepted / monitored by administrators. We believe users are abusing this function and don't know how to monitor it. Stopping Messenger service is an option we don't want to take.
Many Thanks.

I believe I read once that NET send commands are sent in plain text ?

A packet capturer would do the job if this is the case.

Yes I ran a test here and the packet was captured as:

Sender..Recipient....Message...

It would be a bit of a nightmare to capture these as you would have to capture everything else as well, even with a filter.

In Win2000/XP, you can monitor all messages RECEIVED on a PC through net send by going to: Control Panel > Administration > Event Viewer.

Messages appear as "Application Popups".
------------------------------------
[yinyang] 18 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Cheers Ancient Tiger, was aware of that, forgot to say we are on NT. Havn't got a packet capturer, anyone know of a good freebie one on internet?

hey dude this is how to use "net send" @ Command Line Interface

net send * yourmessage

the * is to broadcast to all nodes reacable on the network with "yourmessage". you can replace * with the specific computer name you want to send a message to.

Hairyspider:
I'm sitting on a network which uses Win98SE on all the computers, and I'm very interested in using net send to send myself reminders to my homecomputer (which is WinXP). Could you tell me the address to the website where you found the program that worked for 98 ?? Otherwise, that mess95.exe thing that some ppl here talked about...is that something that is already installed, or can I find it somewherE??

Unfortunately mess95.exe only allows win9X boxes to receive "net send" messages from NT machines. If you are wanting to send messages from the 9X boxes you will have to look at an application like WinPopUp.exe. mot98
[cheers]

ok...ah well...nev mind then...and I suppose the program hairyspider was talking about is similar to WinPopup(?), which I don't like.

The mess95.exe program is a lot better than winpopup. It runs silently in the background and requires no user intervention. I run it in the startup menu of all my win9X clients, and it works great to send messages to your end users. mot98
[cheers]

Hi I have a question about all this too, I am wondering if anyone knows how to track where net sends are coming form (computer names, ip's, whatever I can) I am getting netsends I don't want from somewhere, but I want to know where from before I start trying to block them

I don't know how to track it if it's from outside your network, but any decent firewall will block it.

I've gotten the hang of the net send command, but can anyone tell me if i can open a two way communication similar to a chat messenger service?

net send

How do I specify that I want the receiver to see who the message was from rather that what computer it came from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back