Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD73

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi

Does anyone have any information on how the 'net send' command works?

I can get messages from anyone through net send but I can't send them myself, NETBIOS is disabled so I should not be able to get any messages no? and what is the matter with me not being able to send messages??

What port do I block in my firewall if I don not want to receive NET SEND Messages from eternal networks

If I use
net send /DOMAIN:domainname "message"
some clients receive the message twice, can anyone shed any light on this.

Adrian Rutter
Consultant - UK

Graviton,

Go to Start, Run, then type in NET STOP.
This should stop you receiving and sending net sends.

NETBIOS is not required for the sending of messages. It's just a service running over TCP/IP.

Is there a way to "mask" your LAN messanging, so no one knows its you? if so could you please tell me?

Hiya,
Ok read all the info , all i need now is where do i find mess95.exe, have looked all through the windows 95 cdrom cabs and all.. but no luck, searching the net shows nothing..

Sussex, if you post your email address mate I'll send it on down.

Hiya Grenage,
Ok thanks heres an address you can send it to..
Ausgeoff@bigpond.com

Thanks again

Sussex

Is there a way to change the name of your message to the reciever of the message see the sender as i.e GOD or sumthin?

Hey,

I've been on Tek Tips for about a year now, but I'm really new to this particular forum so forgive me if I am treading on anyones toes! Just two comments. The first is not IT related:

1. I have read this entire thread to make sure I do not ask a question that other people have already answered. If people can be arsed to reply to a question near the beginning of the post then the least a new person to any thread can do is re-read the thread to see if his/her question has already been answered!!! Otherwise its rude and lazy.

(Sorry, just annoys me to see the same question asked 4 times!!!)

2. I can send messages to users by computer name/IP no problem. Usernames - No way! Cannot find the user is what lovely Windoze informs me! Is this a NetBIOS issue as I think I turned all NetBIOS off at the time this problem happened. (I think!)

Cheers,

Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

just thought i would throw in the programming aspect of net send. the function is below with easy parameters. If you really are going to use this, given you have computers with NT, XP, 2000; then why not write a small program interface to do it quickly. You can spoof the name to make it say something useful like Networking Dept.; no actually has to be one word so NET_DEPT. or whatever. this function works across domains as i have found. It has error checking also, not sure what they are off hand. If you still want to do it at the prompt you type: net view /domain to view all the domains on your network. pick a domain and view those computer like: net view /domain:workgroup then pick a computer from that workgroup and type: net send accounting001 Accounting server is shutting down. of course you can net send to a whole domain!! net send /domain:workgroup Company downsizing pick up last check on way out door. yeah not funny right.

NetMessageBufferSend(servername, msgname, fromname, buf, buflen);

There are several free programs about at the moment that allow you to do all these things and more, a search on google should yield some good results.

This will be fun at my school when every single computer comes up with the message "A virus has been detected. Shutdown immediately to prevent more damage.".... yeah a little lame but it it will be funny.

oh is there any way to spoof the name that is on the popup that indicates the source of the message

You do know this is a forum for IT proffesionals, and not kids trying to cause havoc on school networks don't you ?

First of all i dont think a single message will cause "havoc". I am not intending to use this in any distructice way. I was just bringing up the posible problems that Windows Messinger cause.

Yes i undersatand the purpose of this forum and if anything you IT proffesionals should turn on networks that you control. Sorry if my intensions were misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back