Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveD73

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi

Does anyone have any information on how the 'net send' command works?

It can be used over a network to send information to a computer of user. Youu type in net send [username] [message].

Sorry I mean't to say:
It can be used over a network to send a message to a computer or user. You type in net send [username or computer you wish to send it to] [message].

<shrug> Basically from what <I> know of net send that's about all there is to it. It is easy to send pop-up win messages from IP-IP or Computer-Computer yet there is a way to send binary info from IP/Comp-IP/Comp. Not sure how never had to but I know there is a way, the simple net send /? shoud give sufficient info on how to though

When I try net send IP ?? on NT 4.0 in below:
D:\Ef>net send 161.140.50.7 &quot;my message&quot;

I got an error message:

>An error occurred while sending a message to 161.140.50.7.
>The message alias could not be found on the network.
>More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

Can anyone help?

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

WingLok: The problem might be that 161.140.50.7 does not exist on your network. Does the computer have a name? If it does net send to the name.

I guess I should have been a bit more precise in my question. What im really after is more detailed information on the command (e.g. the packet structure sent over the network).

Thanks

you can't net send to a work station. it can only be sent to a user on the LAN.

I don't think this works on pre 2000 machines, but I'd love to find out I'm wrong. I can only use it w2k to w2k using net send computername.domainname.com message. Would the dsclient utility loaded on a 98 machine work? Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
&quot;Knowledge increases in proportion to its use, that is,
the more we teach the more we learn.&quot;
Helena Petrova Blavatsky (1831 - 1891), Russian author and translator.

Hey GlenJohnson,

The net send command only works on NT platforms as it requires the messenger service to run.

There are a couple of ways to get this to work with Win9X clients. The first is to use WinPopUp. I tried this program and found it pretty useless.

I have since found a program that runs on Win9X clients and functions exactly like the messenger service on NT.

If you would like a copy of this program, give me a shout, and I will e-mail it to you.

motoole@ventratech.com

mot98..[peace]

&quot;Where's the beer?&quot;

I've found that if you're logging onto a domain and getting authentication through ad, you can do net send username message. Better than trying to use net bios names or tcp/ip addresses. Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com
&quot;Knowledge increases in proportion to its use, that is,
the more we teach the more we learn.&quot;
Helena Petrova Blavatsky (1831 - 1891), Russian author and translator.

Net send uses the Messenger service on the destination pc.
You can either send to a username, PC, or entire domain.
It is a command line version of what you can do in Server Manager or Hyena.

I'm having problems sending a net send message from one 2000 machine in particular to all the other NT machines. I can send it from my 2000 machine to the NT machines but I'm having problems with one machine in particular. Both 2000 machines have SP2 installed. Also messages from the 2000 machine are going to the other 2000 machines, just not the NT machines.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

What is the problem? Can't find it or what. Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com
&quot;To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.&quot;
Cicero (106-43 B.C.); Roman orator, philosopher.

Make sure the Messenger service is running on the target machine. Sometimes this gets changed to &quot;manual&quot; or disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back