Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV LiveUpdate Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

55plus

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
A client's machine is running Win XP Home and NAV 2002, preinstalled by a major manufacturer. Problem: Live Update has stopped working. She is getting the message "Live Update could not get the list of updates. LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file..." as described in the following page from Symantec's site:

I have tried every solution that Symantec gives. I updated the LU program to the latest version. I deleted the settings.liveupdate file(s) numerous times and rebooted. I disabled the Win XP firewall. In addition, I uninstalled NAV 2002 and reinstalled it. All to no avail.

Environment: 1.6 GHZ, lots of hard drive space. Cable modem connection with no proxy.

I temporarily got her around the problem by setting up a shortcut to

The definitions update perfectly this way but it is too complicated for her to do this (She is easily overwhelmed).

Has anyone run into this problem? It appears that it is a known issue to Symantec. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You say that your problem is that 'Live Update has stopped working'. That implies that it was working at one point. What was changed, added or updated between when it worked and now that it doesn't?

Thanks for the reply. LiveUpdate definitely did work at one time. The machine was purchased in January 2002 and we set it up for her. LU definitely worked at that time.

It's a frustrating problem because I honestly can't say what software was installed recently. It is not under my direct control. However, I see, for example, that Netscape was installed. We did not do that. There are other examples.

I'm presuming your client was already using Internet Explorer before having Netscape Navigator installed. I do know that having both can cause problems making connections to websites. See if you can connect to Symantec's site via both packages. Alternatively, de-install Netscape and see if LU starts working again. If your client paid someone to install Netscape and de-installing it gets LU working again, they should be able to get the installer back in for free to do the install again, only properly this time!

If LU still doesn't work after de-installing Netscape, your client needs to decide if she can live with your fix or you're going to have to go through the other new packages, de-installing until you find the culprit. But I think you're probably on the right track with Netscape.

Hope any of that helps.

Smile anyway,
Perry.

Thanks, again, for the reply.

I believe that one of her son's installed Netscape so I probably don't have too much of an option there!

Someone else, on another list, suggested that I make a bat file for my client. Symantec suggests that alternative for NAVCE users who can't connect to their LU servers for one reason or another. The person who suggested it thought it would work for NAV 2002 as well. See this article:

Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Carol

Hi Carol,

If she is 'overwhelmed' by following your instructions to use intelligent updater manually, I'd have to say that she probably shouldn't use it at all.

Earlier this month, one of the update files from intelligent updater didn't work correctly and stuffed up realtime protection. I retain the last half dozen so just went back to the previous. It doesn't sound like she would realise it wasn't working correctly, let alone be comfortable with sorting it out.

The LU files are dependable. The IU ones almost always are, but there are exceptions.

For this client you really do need to get LU working. I think you need to ascertain that it is Netscape causing the problem, then you either need to talk her into getting rid of it or work through Netscape's setup to fix it up. It can be done, I've got both Internet Explorer and Netscape 6 and LU works fine. As I said before though, there was problems when I installed Netscape. Was some time ago though and the memory tends to hibernate things on me nowadays, so I can't actually recall what I did without having to get right back in to it.

Smile anyway,
Perry.

Yizhar:

Thanks for the suggestion although I doubt that it is ISP related. Her ISP is the local cable company (mine is the same) which has a virtual "lock" on the cable modem service in the area. I know a lot of users who use this ISP and I have not heard of a similar LU issue.

Thanks, again.

Carol

Perry:

Thanks for your interest in this problem.

Unfortunately, I can't be sure that the Netscape install caused the problem. Her son apparently installed Netscape because she was having a 128 bit (??) security issue with IE in attempting to log on to a financial institution. That's about the best I can determine at this point.

There are other programs that have been installed on her machine without my assistance. Any one of them could have clobbered a dll or some other file used by LU.

My only other thought was that perhaps the catalog file was corrupt. The error message does indicate that LU was complaining about that file. Of course, the message itself could be bogus. I was thinking of copying a catalog file from a working XP Home machine which has NAV 2002 installed. I do have access to another such machine.

Thoughts?

Carol

Yizhar:

Thanks, again, for the reply.

Zone Alarm is installed but disabled on her machine. The Win XP firewall is enabled. I tried disabling it but it didn't help.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Probably a stupid question, but you have tried connecting to on IE, then while still connected trying LU? Can't really offer any other suggestions I'm afraid, sounds like a play around with it till it works type problem.

Is the client a single PC site? Or can she copy the updated virus defs from a fellow worker?

Smile anyway,
Perry.

Perry:

I believe that I did try that solution and it didn't work.

The client is a single pc site. The only option I see for her, insofar as LU has ceased working, is to use the Intelligent Updater shortcut that I set up for her. I am fairly convinced that some piece of software installed on her machine caused LU to stop functioning.

Thank you for your reply.

Carol

Hi,
Here is a probable solution.
I.
Please check the task scheduler in control panel and make sure that LU is running according to the task defined. There can be a scheduler problem on your computer.

Workaround;
Create a new task[to run calculator] and test it. If it works fine,check why LU task is not running by looking in to logs. If nothing is clear, contact tech support of Symantec or Microsoft.

Most probably your Task scheduler stoped working and LU is stoped from performing it's own.

II.
If you get messages of not able to retrieve definition on manual LU run, please download the latest LU from Symantec.
Version 1.70.22.0 update for 32-bit LiveUpdate files

All the best.

Hi the same problem over here, do not change anything. I am sure it is a symantec related problem. How to solve it I do not know. But the problem occurred after symantec changed the live update rules

cheers Ryan

Hi the same problem over here, do not change anything. I am sure it is a symantec related problem. How to solve it I do not know. But the problem occurred after symantec changed the live update rules

cheers Ryan

Please see the solution I have mentioned above. It will definitely help you. Especially the scheduled task one. I repaired a similar issue successfully.

And,
Make sure that you have the latest.
Version 1.70.22.0 update for 32-bit LiveUpdate files

If your scheduled task is not functioning, check for the logon account used for it.

Hi

Very strange problem, it might be a permission issue.
check the directory

c:\Documents and Settings\all users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate for log files, you'll see some info there.

I'm having the same problem. I'm leaning towards a permissions issue with XPhome caused by ForceGuest function of Simple Networking. I've experienced it since first installing NAV2002. Mine was installed from an internet download. I've disabled all firewalls and uninstalled all firewall software. I've fully and manually uninstalled all Symantec products including the folders and registry entries.
Based on the log file errors, I manually downloaded and installed the files from the url's indicated in the errors to the directory indicated and was successful, indicating to me that LU for some reason does not have the needed permissions to download or possibly run the files.

See:

and:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back