Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVAST latest free version causing nothing but problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
I have used AVAST for many years and have always recommended it to my users for their home PC's.

However, I am being inundated with support calls that users cannot download legitimate files from the net, nor will genuine install programs download and run, and I can't even connect via my remote desktop support software, as AVAST is blocking the download and deleting it.

It is only the latest version of AVAST that is causing all these problems, how do I stop it?

I have had to get the user to disable AVAST for 10 minutes (defeating the point of AV protection), before they can run the remote connection so I can have a look.

I cannot see anything in quarantine or anything related to AVAST blocking these downloads and I also cannot see how to stop AVAST from automatically taking this action, it surely shouldn't be doing anything like this without a request, but the user receives no popup messages asking them if they want the DL blocked.

I have checked the web shield and changed the action setting to ask, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas what is wrong with the latest version of AVAST.

As an aside, at home, I have found the webshield blocks all Facebook tracking, Google tracking, Google analytics etc.. which is good, only now my own website like buttons don't show and it seems impossible to turn it of, I change the settings with the sliders but AVAST just ignores me and continues to block my own site.

I'm starting to get the feeling AVAST is broken and it might be time to re-examine AVG!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

So far I have been extremely satisfied with BitDefender Free.

There are a lot of bad posts around the net on threads a few years back about how it trashed their OS, but so far, cross fingers, the newer version seems to be fine and doing a good job.

I actually have found it to be so anal that the odd windows crack I use (as I'm fed up of ringing the windows activation hotline continuously to activate purchased software only to be cut off), is being removed from my USB stick.

Though I can hardly complain about that really, as technically it's doing its job!

(I should point out this is only at home for my genuine education/student licenced Windows 7 Ultimate FULL licence upgrade the wife bought me for Christmas a few years back that refuses to let me do a clean install, yet installing the Vista OEM I originally upgraded on my new Haswell-E PC would be a breach of that licence to perform the upgrade against! - I would never use this method to activate a genuine copy of purchased Windows software in my commercial day job environment - though sometimes tempted!)

I am currently sick to the back teeth with MS and the on-going clean install/licencing problems with genuinely purchased Windows software licences, hence my concerns with even considering Win 10, as I plan to replace my M.2 Samsung XP941 with the new NVMe PCIe SSDs when available, and no doubt will find it impossible to perform a clean install of Windows 10 if my current Win 7/8/8.1 experience is anything to go by!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back