Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAV LiveUpdate Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

55plus

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
A client's machine is running Win XP Home and NAV 2002, preinstalled by a major manufacturer. Problem: Live Update has stopped working. She is getting the message "Live Update could not get the list of updates. LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file..." as described in the following page from Symantec's site:

I have tried every solution that Symantec gives. I updated the LU program to the latest version. I deleted the settings.liveupdate file(s) numerous times and rebooted. I disabled the Win XP firewall. In addition, I uninstalled NAV 2002 and reinstalled it. All to no avail.

Environment: 1.6 GHZ, lots of hard drive space. Cable modem connection with no proxy.

I temporarily got her around the problem by setting up a shortcut to

The definitions update perfectly this way but it is too complicated for her to do this (She is easily overwhelmed).

Has anyone run into this problem? It appears that it is a known issue to Symantec. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Got it fixed.

See this.

Deleted ALL the Settings.LiveUpdate files (after backing up of course) then successfully ran live update. Apparently one of the files was corrupted. Wish I had found this earlier.

Files are located in:

C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Good Luck

Got it fixed.

See this.

Deleted ALL the Settings.LiveUpdate files (after backing up of course) then successfully ran live update. Apparently one of the files was corrupted. Wish I had found this earlier.

Files are located in:

C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back