Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Knowledge Base 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoatIronMaidn

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
Simple question. What is the best way to search the MS knowledge base? I'm still crashing and still getting the same code:

Multiple_IRP_Complete_Requests

Stop 0X00000044 (0X81fb5530, 0X00000D60, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I have tried searching this so many ways, it is making me nuts. I know you guys and gals search it all the time, is there a certain syntax that it responds to?

I've also done the Google search bit, but it just pulls up people with the same problem, not anyone with an answer.

P.S. I've got a dollar that says Linney is the first to answer...hehe.

GoatIronMaidn,

Try this link:

By the way, I searched google for:

"Tips To Search Knowledge Base"

to come up with this link!

Of course, it took me a while, as I wasn't knowledgable enough to spell knowledge correctly the first time!!!!!

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Error Message:
STOP: 0x00000044 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

Explanation:
This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates an attempt was made to complete an IRP (I/O request packet) more than once, possibly by more than one driver.

User Action:
If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.

If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
Check for viruses.
Examine the System Log and Application Log in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues.
Investigate recently added software.
Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Researching errors.

Thanks, I didn't even know this MSDN site existed. Another start for Linney (even though you were the second post ;) The first post was also helpful. I just get so frustrated when I search the KB and never come up with anything.

One last question though, could the hardware mentioned in the article be the memory itself? That is the only new componant added recently.

Bad memory could cause all sorts of errors. When I bootup I have the bios memory check displayed on the monitor but this is only a simple check of memory.

You can try a freeware program from here to check your memory in more detail.

I'm having the exact same problem on a client's computer. System ran PERFECT with Windows98. I formatted and put XP on and now, seemingly randomly, I get this bluescreen multiple_irp_complete_requests error.

I'm STUMPED. Completely. It's killing me.

Hi I am running XP pro and I have the same problem though can I ask do you get it just when you log in when the "locading personal settings" is supposed to come up because on mine it goes blank for half a second then I get the stop error. I have submitted the error report to Microsoft but they do not have a solution. I tested my memory and it is fine. Safe mode and last known good configuration both work and I have done a virus scan, Norton disk doctor scan and a Norton windoctor scan but none have helped. I also tried to fix it by copying registry keys from last known good config to the registry in safe mode but that has not helped. One website said to do a memory check and I tested my memory but that did not help. So I have the following options (ranked in order of preference):

1. I somehow make my last known good configuration my standard configuration as it works perfectly and I will lose no data though I have not found out how to do this anywhere

2. I reinstall XP on top of my current installation, which may solve the problem though I then have to go through the hassle of installing hardware again and it may not actually fix the problem though I will not lose my programs or data

3. I format the hard disk but before that partition it so that I will backup all my data on that new partition or I back up my data normally though that takes a long time and I have reinstall my programs

4. I have to press F8 every time I start up and go to last known good configuration

I would have used system restore as this would have been able to keep my files but permanently change my configuration but for some reason I have always had a problem with system restore and so I had switched it off but now I just tested it and it worked and I just wished I had tested it two or three days ago but anyway.

I could possibly use emergency repair though I used that in 2K and had a bad experience so has anyone used it in XP and if so does it work?

Thanks for any replies in advance

Rallos (TechnicalUser)

Safe Mode probably works because it only loads a few basic drivers and software. And not the things causing your problem.

It is possible something could be corrupting your registry after each time you replace it in safe mode with the last known good configuration. How long after you have loaded the last known good configuration before it crashes again?

As a clue your virus software would not be running whilst your in Safe Mode.

First all the computer when booted up normally will crash every time I try to log on whether using the welcome screen or classic logon. I ran the virus scan on last known good config as I know it would not work in safe mode. It does not crash at all in the last known good config and works perfectly in it but I have press F8 every time I start up to access the boot up which is extremely annoying and so does anyone know where the last known good configuration keeps the good configuration files are kept up in their back up location as I can then somehow replace the files my normal config is using with the good ones. Also does anyone know how I can export the whole registry and then merge it replacing the wole registry as I know it will not work in safe mode as some of the keys are always being used by windows so is it possible to replace it in dos or can I replace NTUSER.DAT or something?

Multiple_IRP_Complete errors usually have to do with wonky drivers. I had a Windows 2000 machine completely lobotimize itself with that after installing some printer drivers from HP. If you haven't already, try uninstalling all your periferals (pardon the spelling) and go getting the latest and greatest drivers from the manufacturers. Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
"They call us public servants for a reason..."

I did turn out to be the memory. One of the sticks had a bad address on it. I pulled it last week and have been completely error free ever since. I ran this box for 5 days straight without a reboot and it had peformed flawlessly since pulling the bad memory module. Thanks for all the help.

When you did the memory test did it continually repeat the tests if so I cancelled after it had repeated them twice as I thought it had done it all twice so in that case I may still have a bad stick but then I do not think so as it works for hours last known good config and that does not use different memory. Also can this happen because of any device or does anyone know hwther only specific device drivers send IOREQUEST packets?
Thanks for any help

I think the memory full test might run for about 5 - 6 hours but I would have thought you would have some indication of problems long before this time.

You can back up and restore your registry by using any microsoft back up program (well you could in any 9x system).

Also if you run Regedit and export the My Computer key and save it you can restore your registry by importing back at a later time. Do this in Safe Mode because as you mention some keys will be in use at the time.

Erm... you can backup and restore your registry outside of safe mode. It's not like a file system where you have to deal with file locks and contention. It's just a big messy database.

I have this same problem when I put the computer into standby or hibernation. I have determined that the program rundll32.exe is causing the problem because when I cntrl-alt-del and close this application from task manager, standby and hibernate work fine. Any suggestions on how to do away with rundll32 or correct this problem?
-Frankie Myers
myers5150@hotmail.com

Just jumping on the last issue, rundll32 being stuck... The problem is not rundll32 - that is just a (very convenient!) tool to run things from DLLs.. there are tons of useful routines burried in all sorts of DLLs, and rundll32 (or rundll in 16 bit windows variants) is just a wrapper that sets up an environment to run (some) of these functions..

(e.g.
Code:
rundll32 advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
will perform the most frequently used program speedup handling [based on %SystemRoot%\Prefetch], which is scheduled automatically anyway), or whatever...

So, the hung rundll32 is just a symptom, not the cause.. If you could find out the actual routines called, you would be in the right direction.. (just try looking at loaded DLLs, if there aren't too many..) ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

My problem occurs every time there is an interruption with my External Cable Modem.

The modem is plugged into my USB port and every time I either unplug the port or the connection gets interrupted I get the &quot;Multiple_IRP_Complete_Requests&quot; bluescreen.

None of the driver updates for my modem have fixed the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

-Demon

Don't unplug it?

Why do you take the modem out of the USB slot? If you need to, shut down your computer first, and then unplug it from the USB slot. Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
&quot;They call us public servants for a reason...&quot;

That's fine and dandy, but most of my problem is when there is a break in the connection, not when I unplug it. Any ideas there?

-Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back