Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOTIVATING YOUR TECHNICAL STAFF 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAP1214

MIS
Dec 25, 1999
US
FIRST OF ALL CONSTANT PRAISE FOR A JOB WELL DONE IS GOOD!&nbsp;&nbsp;ALSO, STRESS HOW IMPORTANT THERE JOB/POSITION IS WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION AND THE IMPORTANCE OF OPEN COMMUNICATION BETWEEN END-USERS, TECHNICAL TEAM AND MANGER/SUPERVISOR STAFF.<br><br>IT'S JUST LIKE BELONGING TO A SPORTS TEAM NO ONE PERSON CAN FUNCTION WITHOUT THE CORPORATION OF THE OTHER TEAMMATE.&nbsp;&nbsp;EVERYONE HAS A PART TO PLAY AND THE JOB CAN GET DONE IF EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME TEAM AND GOALS ARE GENUINELY THE SAME.<br><br>(COOPERATION/COMMUNICATION PLAYS A BIG ROLE!!!)<br><br>ALSO, INDICATE THAT SOMETIMES MISTAKES HAPPEN AND NOT TO BE AFRAID TO MAKE A MISTAKE.&nbsp;&nbsp;BUT MOST OF ALL NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK A QUESTION OR TO SIGNAL WHEN YOU NEED A HELPING HAND.<br><br>THAT'S MY ADVISE FOR HOW TO MOTIVATE MY TECHNICAL STAFF! <p> SHERRY MCKEOWN<br><a href=mailto:NAPHIRA@AOL.COM>NAPHIRA@AOL.COM</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

These are all excellent things one should do to retain an experienced staff but there must also be a list of things one should NOT do.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example: Inferring that the job that one does is quite unskilled or each task is easy.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Make sure each technical person has their own scope / section that they are responsible for. Some of their jobs should be boring (everyone has boring jobs) to remind them of the real world, and some should be new / interesting etc to keep them motivating.<br><br>If they have their own area then they feel needed.

It is important to find a forum to remind the users how valuable the service the technical staff provides.&nbsp;&nbsp;Instead of letting the unusual be the only gauge users have to measure the value of an IT staff.&nbsp;&nbsp;Illustrate that maintaining the smooth operation of the users technical resourses is a measure of success and value!&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps a regular artical in the corporate newsletter, or an email highlighting some aspects of maintaining the technical resources.&nbsp;&nbsp;An open house - or whatever.<br><br>With luck this education of the users will help build respect of the tech staff.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Make sure each technical person gets the training and experience they need to grow in technical skills.&nbsp;&nbsp;Both the company and the employee benefit from this.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Also, scheduling blocks of 'do not disturb' time when critical projects are being worked on.&nbsp;&nbsp;That means the boss can't disturb the employee either.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's a way of saying 'what you are doing is more important than anything else right now'.&nbsp;&nbsp;Remember, actions speak louder than words.&nbsp;&nbsp;Respecting an employees efforts is motivating.<br><br>Make sure your payscale is competitive.

I am stuck in a non real world scenario called the Twilight Zone though.<br><br>I have technical staff I want to retain but my requests for training courses and good pay are turned down. Instead I give them autonomy in their own area, take all the flack from other departments, give them all the praise I can and check the vacancies for myself on a daily basis.<br><br>:) <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= poor example of a web site</a><br>

All the posts make excellent suggestions, with which I wholeheartedly agree!
First, unless the pay is grossly out of line, nobody leaves for more money. However, once someone decides to look, they usually can get more money.
Second, most people work in somewhat of a vacuum, and don't realize how much their boss screens stuff from them. Also, they don't know all the details about those around them. So, anything new is going to look &quot;rosy&quot;, since few recruiters know, or will tell, all the gory details.
Third, every job has a &quot;left brain&quot; part - logic and intellect; and a &quot;right brain&quot; part - emotions, feelings and the artistic part. Left brain stuff is easy to measure, but is usually less painful and the recovery time for mistakes is quicker. Also, if ignored, left brain goofups don't &quot;fester&quot; as long, if not dealt with. Things like installing SW wrong, putting someone in the wrong user groups, etc. Right brain stuff is hard to measure and takes longer to recover. Things like poor office environments, abusive users, managers or co-workers, discrimination, being a fall guy, &quot;creating a crisis&quot; to stop enabling co-dependency, etc. Also, right brain goofs fester longer and harder when they are ignored or glossed over with a &quot;get used to it&quot;. Also, right brain stuff damages coworkers around the victim. You want to minimize right brain stuff and deal with it quickly and respectfully. It's another technical skill, just like subnets or routing, to learn and practice. You will lose more people due to right brain unless you pay twice the market rate and people will put up with it for a price. (And this may be a bargain, considering it takes 6 months for the typical IT worker to get up to speed).
Fourth, techies want training - if you don't offer it, at least give time off for it (most training is available cheap).

-- mike
[sig][/sig]

i remember reading a few very small booklets a few years ago with titles like 'the one minute manager' and it had a few exccellent tips which i still use. the top 2 for me are :

1. go out of your way to find someone doing something right ... think about it !

2. allocate a fixed time period (and widely advertise it) every week for an 'open door policy' for your staff to drop in and chat about anything that may be on their mind - no appointments or formality ... it works ! [sig]<p>Best of Irish Luck, David.<br><a href=mailto:djwilkes@hotmail.com>djwilkes@hotmail.com</a><br>[/sig]

All of the comments I have seen are viable. Don't forget one really important one -- Do what's right. If it means that you have to put up a fight for your people, do it. If it means you have to say you're wrong, do it. If it means you have to make some tough decisions, do it. Once you EARN the respect of your team, they will not let you down.
Be the person/employee you want them to be, model the behaviors you want to see and help them get there.

Hi, do all that good advises, but don't forget to be honest about it. If you don't people will notice. Normally much faster than you think. If they don't notice at once, they will learn to.
I do agree what People person added. And it's not gaining respect, it's gaining you as a part of their life, a part they what to know in their life. :)

I find having regular team meetings to discuss the &quot;pros and cons&quot; is an extremely good motivator.

e.g. Three motivated people debating pros and cons will learn extremely fast and have the power to overcome mountainous barriers regardless of their education background.

We all take turns giving a presentation on some innovative product or technology and it often sparks off intense discussions that rejuvenates everyone.

My suggestion:

Remember to keep in touch with your staff. Show interest in their work (without making it appear as if you're checking up on them all the time). A casual approach as you pass by somtimes works.

People seem to feel better if their boss knows what they're doing. Talk to your staff about the details of their tasks, and show an interest. That goes hand-in-hand with praise for their accomplishments.

The one thing that really put me off my last job is that my manager was a complete nonce. He was sexist (not to me of course), pompous, arrogant, patronising and above all went back on what he said all the time. While I was there i was promised training in VB, in front of several members of staff, and the when I asked him about it 6 months later, he totally denied ever mentioning it. He had serious personality problems, and the only reason he was still in a job (he had been made redundant ten years ago by an incoming director, but the decision was overturned by the MD) was because of systems knowledge.

But the worst thing was being a part of a highly skilled office of programmers and analysts that were all relegated to package support because he didn't have the faith in his own staff to give them a system to build - he preferred buying 3rd party software. There is nothing more demotivating than being a developer and not being given the chance to develop anything. He was an arse.

Be warned, staff like to keep up on their skills whilst adding to them. Stagnation is for ponds...

I have noticed that frustration with coworkers, the environment, and especially one's supervisor is the primary motive cause for attrition here. While I believe it is important to empower and recognize your staff, it is equally important to have their respect.
Different managers accomplish this in different ways. I know some that like to be the friends of their staff; portray themselves as one of them who accidentally became burdened with this odd-fitting management role. Done correctly, this self-definition as a promoted programmer is an effective management tool.
Another effective tact is defining yourself as their advocate, someone who goes out on a limb for his employees and what is right for the company. This develops respect not only within your staff, but also among their peers.
Actually, there are probably many ways to win the respect of your staff and make them comfortable with your presence. You need to pick the one that feels &quot;true&quot; to yourself, and reflects your personal history and your management strengths. You need to have a little &quot;story&quot; inside you about who you are and your relationship with your staff and peers.
I think we all realize that in the end it is the manager that is held accountable. All too often, new managers confuse this burden of responsibility with a mandate to authority. If you lead, it is likely others will follow. If you command, you better have a real good way to make other rational adults obey.

The one thing that I found really works and helps your staff feel you care is taking them to lunch once in a while, having group get togethers, quarterly awards where you recognize them at some function (like a luncheon and you buy).

After working in the AF for 21+ years and now in the private sector, I can tell you both of these work great. Morale goes up and so does productivity. They then feel comfortable telling you things, either work related or not, but both affect each other so listen.

Dan Lewis-Griggs
Sinclair Community College

I have enjoyed reading all these posts. What I would like to know is what do you do when you exprees that you would like to do a job but financially you can not?
Example: I was given the oppertunity to work in house in tech support for my company, ( at present I am a field engineer). After saying I would take the job, I was not offered the right amount of money to cover travelling and other losess, i.e. Lossing the company car. I had to decline the offer and no other offer was forth coming.
So what do I do now? Will I be passed over if another position arises? Even thought at present there is nobody else in the company that is willing to do the job or even in the right location.

Regards

Ian Dollard
PCS LTD

A simple thank you and occassional pat on the back from my manager would have kept me in my last position longer. Finally after 4 years of thanklessness, I decided it was time to move on.

Make sure that management understands technology.

In my situation, I work for senior management doing MIS design and database administration. I am not formally in the tech department, but work with them weekly on projects like database conversions and things like that.

Senior management thinks of all these things they want done, and can't understand that it is not as easy as they think it is. If I am in a meeting trying to explain some of the technical challenges their request brings, I get cut off because they don't understand what I am saying (even if I try to explain it in laymen's terms).

I get the typical &quot;Just work with IT and get it done&quot;

It's enought to drive you crazy!!!

Give your techs a big head!~
Building self-esteem for a job well-done can double your productivity and profits.

Working on computers can be a stressful enough job for techs, add in customer complaints from downtime and a tech can become discouraged. Offer incentives for completing a number of service calls or other projects in a timely manner. Always, tell them how well they do and throw them 2 movie tickets, or other means of showing your gratifaction for having them onboard. In the end, always provide positive feedback and keep them informed about shop or company procedures at all times.

Also, Don't be afraid to show them what you know. Your in business to make money, share the knowledge to build productivity. If you fear a tech quiting on you in the future, have them sign a non-compete agreement.

Best of Luck! Matt Lowell
High-Tech Tools & Tool Kits for Techs -Publishers of:
&quot;The PC Technician's Guide to Profits&quot;

If I am in a meeting trying to explain some of the technical challenges their request brings,

Don't go into the messy details. Like you've seen, these guys don't want to hear it. Just tell them &quot;Sorry, there are technical reasons why that won't work&quot;. And if they truly want to know why, tell them at that time.

Something I try and do when giving news like that is to phrase it like &quot;That won't work because...&quot; or &quot;That could work, if we first did ...&quot;. Or even: &quot;It will cost $xxxxx.xx if we did that and all our developers would be tied up doing it.&quot;

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back