Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Annoying Words 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
'Whatever,' Like, Totally Tops List of Most Annoying Words

For me, the most annoying word is 'like', like it appears in the like, title. :)
What word or catch phrase do you find most annoying?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Santa,

MegustaXL said:
This is made even worse if leverage is pronounced the US way, to rhyme with "cleveridge"

Yes, you have it spot on...the mispronunciation that grips me is the US one that rhymes with "beverage".

I am trying to eradicate its use as a verb from my organisation, but some die hard colleagues insist on using it that way. They are also most resistant to my efforts to get them to pronounce "Leverage" to rhyme (correctly) with "Beaverage"

Chris

So you ride yourselves over the fields,
and you make all your animal deals,
and your wise men don't know how it feels...

Ian Anderson

MeGustaXL - actually, the pronunciation of the word "leverage", is correct either way...

since it derives from the word LEVER, pronounciation: IPA: /?li?.v?/, /?l?.v?/
SAMPA: /li:"v@`/, /lE"v@`/

and this is also according to Mirriam-Webster Dictionary,
pronunciation of "leverage": \?le-v?-rij, ?l?-; ?lev-rij, ?l?v-\.

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Just another of those divergences between British English and American English.

"Schedule" comes to mind. The Brits pronounce it "shed-yule"; we Americans somehow put a "k" sound in there: "sked-yule".

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the help [thumbsup]

Now, can anyone help me stop these guys using that word as a verb, regardless of how it's pronounced?

[rofl]

Chris

So you ride yourselves over the fields,
and you make all your animal deals,
and your wise men don't know how it feels...

Ian Anderson

Francis said:
"Schedule" comes to mind. The Brits pronounce it "shed-yule"; we Americans somehow put a "k" sound in there: "sked-yule".
But, Francis, that's what they taught us in "shool". <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

flapeyre said:
Anytime someone says "Bear with me", I get a picture of Yogi and Boo-Boo standing beside that person.
Similarly, whenever I hear someone say "Bear in mind...", I picture a little Grizzly bear inside their head, roaring and slashing with it's massive paws (while completely not paying attention to what they are saying at that moment).

Santa said:
...That's what they taught us in "shool". <grin>
Shome shool it ish.
</HumphreyBogart>

-- Francis

But MeGustaXL, it is a transitive verb...

excerpt from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Main Entry: leverage
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): leveraged; leverag·ing
Date: 1957

1 : to provide (as a corporation) or supplement (as money) with leverage; also : to enhance as if by supplying with financial leverage
2 : to use for gain : exploit &lt;shamelessly leverage the system to their advantage — Alexander Wolff&gt;

Flappereye - Yep, and the freaky thing is, that the pronounciation of the word &quot;schedule&quot; is almost everywhere the same except the UK... see:
Ben
&quot;If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...&quot;
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want &quot;yes&quot; or &quot;no&quot;

I hate the overuse of the word "basis"- everything is done on some kind of "basis" nowadays. Instead of having a "daily meeting" we meet on a "daily basis", and we don't have an annual holiday anymore, we go away on an "annual basis"

Jim Brown,
Tech writer and training consultant,
Johannesburg,
South Africa.
My time is GMT+2

“And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. (Chapman, Cleese et al, 1975)

I hate it when someone says that a person has "issues".

Periodicals have issues; people have problems.

-- Francis

I dislike the use of "essentially" or "basically" as a conversational stalling device, much like "ya' know" or "uh".

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I want to be a verb.

Preferred usage "Wow! That's a Gregtastic job on that web site!"

Unfortunately, I'm sure it would be:

"Jeez... you really Gregged that one up, didn't you?"

hehe

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I'm already a verb: "Jim jimmied the lock." ;-)

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Annihilannic said:
Gregtastic sounds more like an adjective to me. [smile]
It's okay, he just Gregged it up a little bit. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa

I'll just stay over here in the shelter while this word storm rages.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back