Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Succinct Phrase Please 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
How can I clearly and succinctly describe the sort of person who behaves in a certain way, just because:
a. They can. "Everyone can do whatever they like in a free country"
b. It's not illegal/immoral. "Do you have a problem with me doing this?"
c. They like to be different.
d. They wish to provoke a reaction.
e...tcetera, etcetera.

Some examples:

Offspring that affect to enjoy a particularly raucous brand of music, simply because I don't like it.

Ramblers and Walkers who decide to walk across a field where sheep are grazing, simply to exercise their right to use the recently-discovered Public Footpath, unearthed in a dusty map from the bowels of the Library. When the landowner protests that he would have liked some warning so that he could have moved the sheep, the incensed Ramblers wail about their loss of "Freedom To Roam"

Persons who follow an unusual diet regime involving boiling up foul-smelling ingredients for several hours at a time, making the building virtually uninhabitable for others, simply because it's a free country and one can eat whatever the heck one likes.

Cyclists.

I'm sure you can think of several more examples, but what is the collective noun, if you like, for such people?

Bloody-minded Morons? Teenagers?

Chris

Don't count the days, make the days count

Muhammad Ali

BobRodes, take a look at thread1229-1433634:

You'll see that very album doing well in the list (after I proposed it! [wink] )

There are blackheads on his shoulders and he pees himself in the night!

Chris

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's just a whisper, your deafness a SHOUT!

Ian Anderson

I would vote up Dark Side of the Moon (IMO, Pink Floyd's finest album, although The Wall is a very close second) and vote down American Beauty, because Grateful Dead can get monotonous if you're not hearing them live. Unless, of course, the lunatic is on the grass...

Interesting choices, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who still likes "Thick as a Brick". However, I think Led Zeppelin II is their best, not IV. Also, I prefer "Bringing it All Back Home" to "Blonde on Blonde", "Revolver" to "Rubber Soul", and "Apostrophe" (probably best known for the "watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow", line) to "Joe's Garage."

I'm also missing the presence of Captain Beyond and Atomic Rooster. :)

Kudos to Sister Morphine...

bobRodes said:
I'm also missing the presence of Captain Beyond and Atomic Rooster.

Now your really are showing your age!

Death Walks Behind You is a brilliant album, and gets played regularly at my place.

Cheers! [upsidedown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back