Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More anti-offshoring backlash 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just skimmed that chapter. Interesting to note that several examples were of Europe taking advantage of America because things were so much cheaper there (specifically land).
If the exchange rate keeps going the way it is, we (Europe) might be in the market again. I read an article on cnn the other day saying how expensive Europe will be this summer for Americans, whereas for us the US is like a huge half price sale.

Question (and I think this has been asked before): How many of us buy all American products, made in America, assembled in America, in which all profit goes into American pockets?

I admit that I don't make my purchases based upon this contingent. My husband and I recently purchased a Toyota. Why? Because it's a quality product for a good price.

2nd Question: If you were offered a high-paying job from a foreign company (move there or stay here), would you take the job based on the fact that it's not American?

I'm not saying I have all the answers and clearly I'm not educated enough on Global Economics, however does anyone feel that a majority of the arguments against outsourcing maybe more based on emotional rather than logical? (Not making assumptions, just asking a question) What are the pros, in addition to the cons, of a more globalized economy?

Sidenote: My boss was talking to a gentleman from India the other day. He is very well educated in Economics and holds a Masters degree in Engineering. He stated (of course remember that I'm getting this information 2nd hand) that close to 1 billion people live in India. In order to work over there most people are required to have at least a Bachelors just to make a living. So needless to say, I would imagine most who are looking for work may be more qualified, from a statistics standpoint, than the ratio in America. Even in addition to that, the latest trend in India is out-sourcing jobs to South Korea. Just something to think about...

does anyone feel that a majority of the arguments against outsourcing maybe more based on emotional rather than logical?
Emotional.

Practically all industries have been hit by outsourcing over the last 2 centuries. That's how global economics have always worked. We are next, that's all.

By the way, your Toyota is most likely the result of outsourcing to a dozen different countries. I'm almost certain the only thing still Japanese about it is the name; the rest is Korean, Brazilian, Mexican, and you may find an occasional american part somewhere in the engine.

Dimandja

Outsourcing has been happening for centuries. And yes it causes an upheaval in the affected countries economics. It happened here, when we first started the transition from industrial to service oriented economy. It really bites to be one of those in the affected industry.

But through improved education, efficiency, and hard work, we have always bounced back. I firmly believe we always will.

Tough times make the good ones even sweeter.

I work for a company that has begun outsourcing its code writing. The biggest issue I see is the misunderstanding regarding the actual savings generated by offshoring.
The decision makers (at many, not all) companies, don't consider the many indirect costs created by outsourcing.
1. Lost productivity based on time difference. They're working while we're sleeping and vice versa.
2. Assuming you can just send instructions to someone and have them write the appropriate code. Try writing down the instructions on how to make a PB&J sandwich. Then have someone do exactly what you wrote down, no interpretation allowed, see how it turns out. It has been our experience that the developers we've used will write exactly what you ask for, it's the same problem we IT people have when business users give us requirements.
3. Post development support. Who knows the code so it can be supported when something goes wrong or needs to be changed?

Back to the reason this post is out here:
Government agencies should be making decisions that make long term sense for their constituents. Outsourcing may save the money short term, but the long term implications are tremendous.
Private agencies will and should make their own decisions on what makes the most sense for their organization. Outsourcing may help them grow initially, but again, what will the long term impact be when no locals can support the company?

I'm not suggesting outsourcing is good or bad, I just think people need to look at the global and long term picture before outsourcing just because it's cheaper right now.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Outsourcing can be looked at as globalization. In order to globalize, we have to realize it's a two way street.

I always thought that the USA got where it is from innovation, guts, and determination. Why do I see all that fading away? All I see are people giving up completely, throwing up their hands in despair, throwing in the towel.

Where's the innovation that got us to where we are? Why are we depending on the government to give us jobs when we've never depended on them before? Why are we blaming the government for jobs leaving, then criticizing the government for interfering with corporate welfare when they try to step in? I thought we were stronger than that.

Jobs are created by the innovative and persistent. Not by the government.

[idea]

I guess all the innovation and persistence has moved overseas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back