Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH not working. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlyon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
We have a MICS system and we had a radio attached for hold music. However, reception is a problem in that location. So I decided to pickup a CD player and attach it in the radio's place. Now there is no music at all. The following is what I've done to trouble shoot the problem. Maybe you guys will catch something that I've missed.

1. Tested the output of the CD player with external speakers.
2. installed a stereo to mono adapter.
3. The pinout is correct as it was working before the change and I am using the same one.
4. changed the polarity.
5. Verified that music is set for on hold: [System prgrming>Featr settings>On hold:Music]

So at this point I am at a loss. The only thing that I can think of, that I didn't try, is to reboot the system. Any suggestions?

Are you using the pre-amp output (bcos amplified signal can fry the port)
Can you hear hte music with 'toner receiver'

Have you tried putting a butt set on the yellow/orange (MOH) pair from the system? It may sound rediculous, but most of the calls I get for this trouble are just the customer forgetting to press "repeat" on the cd player.

Set the background music feature to on and then place your tone on the MOH pair, see if you hear your tone.

senk1s, No preamp on this walkman style radio.

RikRodgers, Repeat was set, but it won't work from the start.

gilsr, No tone.

Phonehed, Tried that, no worky.

Correction.

YES, gilsr, there is tone.

You're toning the yellow orange pair on the second station block (the one with ports 125-132)?

You're allowing MOH & background music in system programming?

You're turning on feature 86 at the set to test for the tone and you get nothing???

If yes, yes, & yes, double check that y/or connection point for proper termination, replace tail if necessary.

Remember that with some cable manufacturers, yellow orange and yellow brown are all too easily confused.

Phonehed in Dallas

Thanks for the reply Phonehed.

You're allowing MOH & background music in system programming? Yes.

You're turning on feature 86 at the set to test for the tone and you get nothing???
No, I get tone from the Tone Generator, but not music from the CD player. So it is obviously something to do with the output of the CD player. Is there a certain type that is compatable?

Most "Walkman type" players should work if you're tapping the right output. If it has a jack for headphones or an earplug, use that. Just cut the headphones or earplug off, strip the ends and make sure you can hear music right there on your test set. Then try cross connecting to the system.

P.S. Stranded wire and 66 blocks don't work very well together. Use some jumper wire and some crimp on wire nuts to make your splice at the earplug end so that you're terminating on the 66 block with solid wire (and hopefully a punch on tool).

Phonehed in Dallas

Hi Phonehed,

Thank you for your assistance.

I am using the jack for the headphones. I cut the headphones off, stripped the ends and spliced onto cross-connect wire so that I'm terminating on the 66 block with solid wire (and I used a punch on tool).
I do not have a test set, that is why I used the computer speakers for testing.

So:
I have output from the walkman - tested with PC speakers.
I definitely have the correct pair on the 66 block - Tested with a tone generator.
Music is definitely ON in the system verified when I heard the tone, when I was put on hold (and we already had music working).

Yes, the radio works. Well, it makes noise ;)

lugerlover,
can u hear music on leads from cd player?

I don't have a test set, so I cannot check that. But that is definitely the issue. I can get music from the headphone jack when connected to PC speakers, but not to the leads attached to the 66 block.

so you have 2 leads from headphone jack that u cut...from there you need to connect 2 leads of solid copper x-connect...carful not to have them shorted out..then u have them punch down on correct pair....you can hear from butt set but not thru system...and radio works fine...have u tried another cd player...never have a problem..unless port is fried"already verified its not

Hi Lugerlover,

It is very strange indeed. The CD player works, the system is correct, but they just won't work together. I'll have to pickup a differnet CD player.

lugerlover,
most headphone jacks are stereo so the are 3 conductors, one for each headphone and a return lead. A buttset is definitely more helpful verifying MOH and BGM troubles

A headphone jack has tip, ring, and sleeve. I noticed you said:

"2. installed a stereo to mono adapter."

This may or may not create a problem depending on the player, get rid of it. Make sure the jack you are using is stereo (has tip, ring, and sleeve).

Some players are really mono but have a stereo jack. Internally the left and right channels on the jack are shorted together. If you plug in a mono jack the ring side (and due to the internal wiring the tip) will be shorted to the sleeve. That effectively will put a dead short on the amplifier output. Result, no sound.

If it is a stereo output do not try to make it mono by shorting the left and right channels together. Use a couple of series resistors (50 to 100 ohms should be fine) in line with each channel and short the opposing ends of the resistors together and connect them to the input of the KSU.

Left channel --> Resistor --> | <--Resistor <-- Right channel
|
To KSU MOH input

If you don't want to bother with the resistors you can use just one channel (it is only MOH after all). In this case don't connect the unused channel to anything. Just cut it off or tape it up.

I've found that a lot of the "new" ear plug jacks are not 600 ohm impedance. KSU normally requires that impedance to match for the MOH input. Where I've used a non 600 ohm source, I've had similar troubles. Try changing your source to a 600 ohm or try a matching transformer.

PhM

VVV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back