Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH not working. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlyon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
We have a MICS system and we had a radio attached for hold music. However, reception is a problem in that location. So I decided to pickup a CD player and attach it in the radio's place. Now there is no music at all. The following is what I've done to trouble shoot the problem. Maybe you guys will catch something that I've missed.

1. Tested the output of the CD player with external speakers.
2. installed a stereo to mono adapter.
3. The pinout is correct as it was working before the change and I am using the same one.
4. changed the polarity.
5. Verified that music is set for on hold: [System prgrming>Featr settings>On hold:Music]

So at this point I am at a loss. The only thing that I can think of, that I didn't try, is to reboot the system. Any suggestions?

KSU normally requires that impedance to match for the MOH input.

I have never seen this requirement anywhere. Both the CICS and MICS say:

CICS and MICS Installation manual:

The music source can be any approved low-power device such as a radio with a high-impedance earphone jack. The recommended ICS input level is 0.25 V rms across an input impedance of 3300 ?.

Any music source with a low-output impedance (for example, less than 3,300 ohms) can be connected. The output level must be less than one volt.

This tells me that the input impedance to the music input is 3300 ohms (confirmed with an impedance bridge). FYI, the output impedance of the earphone jack is at least an order of magnitude lower then earphones, which are typically 32 ohms.

CBasic,

I'm sure you are correct in all of the above. But when installing a wide variety of sound devices to Norstar KSU's my previous post is my tried and true experience. If it doesn't state 600 ohm impedance then I've had it not work. Also seen a lot of bad splices between the supplied cable and spliced in cross connect wire. B connectors and BIC connectors are bad for this. We only use the AMP crimps and don't have that particular issue.

Cheers
PhM

VVV

I have no idea what it is.

All I have on it is:
CD Player:
Audio Soultions ATC-2630
DC 3V (1.5v x 2 UM3 "AA" Size)
External DC Supply
DC 4.5V 600mA AC Adaptor

Power Supply:
Radio Shack AC Adapter Cat. No. 273-1757
Output: 4.5VDC 700mA

CBasicAsslember,

I've tried it with and without. Currently, I've removed the CD player. I am going to pickup a better quality unit this afternoon if I can find the time...

Wow. This has become a really long thread for such a simple problem. Let's get back to the basics.

1. You put tone on the Yellow/Orange (MOH) pair on the 25pr feed to the system, and heard tone when on hold. Your KSU and programming are good.

2. You plugged headphones/speakers into the cd player and heard music. MOH source is good.

The trouble lies in-between; in the wiring to your 66 block.

CBasicAssembler- Regardless of what the specs say in the manual, there is no need to match impedance from a cd player to the MOH pair on the KSU. (Occasionally, you may have to from the Ext. Page output to a Paging amplifier- use a Bogen WMT1-A impedance matcher- to eliminate noisy paging/music.)

In my experience, the cheap headsets that ship with most walkman-type CD players use copper coated string, rather than stranded copper as a conducter. When you strip back the wire, it's easy to scrape off the copper "paint" from the string, and you'll lose connection.

To verify your wiring, you may want to put your toner directly on the stereo plug, and see if you can hear your tone when on hold.

If you can't, pick up a 5$ 1/8 in stereo cable at the store, and wire that up instead. Connect the shield from the cable to Ring (Or/Yel) and the two insulated conductors to Tip (Yel/Or).

And, yes, as Phonehead mentioned, a 66 block is NOT designed to terminate stranded wire. Either use UR connectors (scotch locks) or a screw terminal phone jack to connect to jumper wire from the KSU.

I'll bet it will work just fine.

Well, I went and purchased a new CD player. Same deal, no worky. So I looked around my office and found some stereo speaker wire. When I cut it open, there was a wire inside the wire (x2). Ah-Ha! I figured this would work and sure enough, it resolved the issue. So for grins and giggles, I put the first CD Player back and it DID NOT work. Very strange. So the problem was the CD player AND the wire. Yes RikRodgers, it WAS that coppper painted string. So now it works perfect.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!!

CBasicAssembler- Regardless of what the specs say in the manual, there is no need to match impedance from a cd player to the MOH pair on the KSU.

It wasn't me that made that claim nor do I endorse it. There is no doubt in my mind that the problem is in the wiring from the player to the KSU block.

Connect the shield from the cable to Ring (Or/Yel) and the two insulated conductors to Tip (Yel/Or).

You should not connect the 2 insulated conductors together without isolating them with resistors. The 2 amplifiers (left and right channel) will in effect load each other.

Sorry, CBasicAssembler. I got lost in the wave of replies. I didn't mean to misquote you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back