Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 3300 CX-II Backup to disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYES

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
Hello, just wondering if anyone has run into an issue with backup to disk failures. This has happened in the past and over time a matter of weeks seemed to resolve by itself and I was able to backup to my PC just fine. Here's what happens I make add / move or change and I am able to do a DBMS SAVE but when I try to backup to my PC it errors out with the message: "Backup Fail" "Unable to transfer file do to backup failure!". I have run all the database integrity check commands and everything passes there are no alarms and all appears normal. I know it's not my PC because we another 3300 controller that backs up just fine. Any suggestions appreciated, thank you for your time.

Checking the log I find the following error:

Source MLDatabase
Description dbBackup->Cannot copy backup files from /db/database/files to /db/database/bak_files
Module Main
File Name and Line Number MLDatabase.cpp;29663

Description BR_Manager->avs backup fail for /vmail/temp/db/backup with opt 0x0
Module Main
File Name and Line Number BR_Manager.cpp;1615

We are running:
Release level: 5.0 SP2 PR1
Active software load: 11.0.2.19
Call control relink: 41.0.2.14_SP1
Platform CX-II, 512MB RAM

May still be your PC. What is the software load of the system you can backup? Is it exactly the same as the one you can backup? Have you tried a different PC on the site where you backup fails?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

It is release 5.0 PR1, Load 11.0.0.105_1 I will try a backup from a different PC right now.

Backup failed from the second PC as well.

Are you blocking pop-ups on ( assuming ) windows explorer or windows firewall enabled?

Technology is going to kill us all!

I had the same thing happen with backup attempts to my laptop after a Windows update. After I downgraded from IE9 to IE8, it worked again.

Jim

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have became a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS NCTS NCTE CS1000E
Mitel 3300 4.2 basic & advanced, 5000 4.0, NuPoint I&M 4.2

I turned off my antivirus - Microsoft Security Essentials and I've been sucessfully backing it up from Windows 7 (64bit) in the XP mode, tried a separate native XP PC with antivirus off still nothing. Could be a new update is causing the problem but that doesn't explain why I can back up another very similiar controller without any problems. Might have to try a different browser using IE now.

Does the system your back ups fail on have fairly busy voicemail ports/Rads or analog PSTN trunks ?

Is the Mitel 3300 creating the backup or is it just an issue transfering this to your machine?

You can check this by using an FTP clinet and opening /vmail/temp/db/archive, is there a file in there named ipera3k.dba?

If there is check the date, this is the backup file, it can be renamed to .tar and used as a backup (temp fix)

In relation to transfering the backup, is the 3300 set to a trusted site with pop-blocker turned off?

It could be the VM service that are causing the problem, you can connect to the shell on port 2002 using putty and restart this service using the following commands.....

iPVM_Stop() - stops embedded VM
iPVM_Start() - starts embedded VM

Type logout to exit

Mitelmania, we have a separate external VM server running on it's own box it's a "Mitel unified communication server" running Mitel Commuications Suite 3.0 (if that makes any difference) I would guess the system has busy ports and PSTN trunks during regular business hours but I start very early in the morning before anyone else is in the building with no phones or trunks in use and it still fails.

The only things I have found that stop backups are java issues, having a corporate VPN's fireall that needed to be turned off, IE version and IE security settings. Can't think of anything else.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

LoopyLou,

I hear you, it has to be from one of those sources, I will continue to test different scenarios.

Thanks for responding

Any PMS running?

MrMitel,
Thanks for the suggestions, I located the ipera3k.dba file where you said it would be and was able to send it to my computer, the file did not have a recent date though, it was about a year old? With popup blocker turned off and Mitel added to trusted site got the same backup error.

MrMitel,
Correction the ipera3k.dba is only about a month old with the date the same as when I made my last sucessful backup.

To me it doesnt sound like an issue with transfering the file to your machine, the 3300 is not creating the backup, have you made many changes since the last backup around a month ago? any alarms present on the controller? Can you run a DBMS Check, any errors? Has the controller been restarted?

MrMitel,
From the error in the activity log I agree the controller is unable to create the backup even before it gets the point of the transfer. There are no alarms and no DBMS errors - it has passed all database checks. The only thing I haven't done is a system restart. I got burned really bad the last time I did a restart when it didn't come back up forcing me to call the original installer with Mitel support recommending an OS upgrade. Ended up with a $1000 price tag and a whole day with no phone system! I had restarted quite a few time before with no issues but now I'm a litte reluctant, it might come down to this as the only other option.

Just wanted to thank and update all who participated in this thread:

I finally did a system reboot a few weeks back to try to resolve the backup issue. At the time all system database / health checks came up perfectly no alarms or errors but the issue remained that I still could not backup to local disk. I remotely ran the "reset system" maintenance command on a Saturday with the system coming backup okay (oh so I thought) at whch time I was able test dial to various extensions from the outside. When I came in early Monday morning I noticed all of the buttons were missing from all of the phones, when I tried to restore the database it would not allow me to login even with the default username and password. Too make a long story short I had to get the installer back out, put a call to Mitel, and after a brief amount of time we were asked what the model number of the hardrive was, after which we could hear Mitel technical support flipping through pages (support bulletins I guessing) and we were then informed that a hardrive replacement was recommended. I believe that this unit shipped with a defective hard drive because I was having these problems less then a year after it was installed. This unit probably should have been recalled or at the very least the sites with one could have been notified about the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back