Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minor Startup Issue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Present

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
GB
I get a window popup saying

"cannot find 'c:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe'"

Every time I boot. Can't see the thing in startup or registry. What's going on?

Cheers

b

Hello
The CMD32.EXE file is not a part of Windows itself. It is part of a virus, but different vendors give it different names. As your system can't find the file, it sounds like it got installed but was cleaned out by a virus checker, but it didn't finish the job quite.

Go into the registry editor to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and change
explorer.exe c:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe

to:

explorer.exe

John

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

I had to find the line ....in the Shell..

Post saved my day Thanks !

Try early and often hitting of the F8 key as soon as you start the computer. Ignore any 'Stuck keys' errors you may receive.

Started Safe mode thru pressing the F8 key BUT when it got to the list of drivers, IT just froze and could only
shut down with the On/Off switch.

Apprently I was in the wrong forum. I don't know whether it was a virus or not. The person has a habit to use the
on/off switch instead of correct shutdown. Am sorry that I got into the wrong forum. Have to start at the beginning.

jrbarnett Thanks to your solution I solved a nagging startup problem

and

Yogi39 thanks to you I found it here also: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

I have a similar problem except I get an Explorer window that points to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bin

I think this may have started either after I installed SP2 or after I updated my Norton AntiVirus LiveUpdate program, although I'm honestly not sure about that.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

Jessica Kinsey
Hiscock & Barclay, LLP

bcastner,

I looked at your 2nd suggestion and that seems to be more fitting and closer to the problem originally posted here. When I go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\NvCplDaemon and look at the value data it is as follows:
rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll,nvstartup

Any idea what that means? Should I delete the part of the value after rundll32.exe?

Jessica Kinsey
Hiscock & Barclay, LLP

The entry you list seems a normal part of Norton AV. You want to find a line that references c:\program files\common files\bin if you can in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

bcast,

I found a reference to it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Yahoo\SearchHistory (which was when I originally started researching this problem. No other references to that key anywhere.

Dell Tech. support is telling me that I need to do a repair/reinstall of Windows XP. That seems pretty drastic, but I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point.

Jessica Kinsey
Hiscock & Barclay, LLP

More ideas and suggestions are mentioned here.

XP displays an open folder at start up
thread779-395281

I have to apologize and admit to a terribly blonde moment (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). The folder that was showing up on start up was c:\program files\common\bin NOT c:\program files\common files\bin. Don't know how I could have added a whole extra word. Guess my brain was so used to seeing the "common files" folder in the system that my eyes told my brain that's what I was seeing. Anyway...I solved the problem by simply opening the "real" Windows Explorer and deleting the c:\program files\common\bin folder. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Jessica Kinsey
Hiscock & Barclay, LLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back