Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mics 7.1 T1 interface problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

commtechMT

Technical User
Apr 10, 2012
US
Recently our phone system went down. We are running a MICS 7.1 software. The DTI and the Telco T1 line seem to be having trouble when they are connected. Had the phone tech out to troubleshoot the T1, during the trouble shooting we put the phone DTI card in loopback, testing from the CO showed no errors. However when loopback is dropped, the DTI card starts to re-boot, and Errors begin showing up on the T1. We swapped the DTI card for a refurbished card and see the same results.

Another symptom of the problem, Our paging(Valcom 2way)system connected to line31, doesn't connect. Phone display shows "Not in Service". I had been leaning toward it being a phone system issue, and was planning on ordering a refurbished KSU with the software and line card(still may for spare parts), but I noticed that when i put the DTI card in loopback using the button, The paging starts working again and the phone system returns to normal response times.

Any Thoughts?​

If there is something wrong with the T1, there might be something about it in the logs.

First, have a look at the Network Events Log: Maintenance > Network Events Log. This log keeps track of events and alarms that are specific to the T1.

Then, have a look at the System Test Log: Maintenance > System Test Log. This log keeps track of diagnostic results on the system. If the system has taken a line out of service, it should appear here.

You can find the meaning for most of the event codes in the Modular ICS 7.1 Installer Guide, in the Maintenance chapter. After reviewing the logs, if you find some event codes that occurred repeatedly or that were not described in the Installer Guide, you can post them here. We'll continue from there.

On the Network Event Log
Seeing some alarm 44's and a 336, indicating problems with the T1 and that the Long term alarm has been surpassed on the DTI card. This was the main reason for swapping out the DTI card with a refurb, after the initial tests ran by the phone company showed their T1 was healthy.

In the System Test Log
EVT367-***
EVT820-****(quite a few of these)
EVT181
EVT295
The rest of the events and alarms I found in the IG and were due to the troubleshooting process.​

Since the system is down anyhow,I put the DTI card in loopback and had the Phone company monitor the T1 overnight, waiting for them to get back to me with the results.

I appologize if this has been answered somewhere on here already. With these issues I have been careful to make a current back-up file. I have read through some poset and they state that even with a back-up file the data can become corrupt when trying to put it back in.

In that event, is there a way to look at the back-up file, maybe an exel or other spreadsheet file. It would be a great help if I had to start from scratch with the programming. I know enough to add a phone or make it ring on another extension, but the deeper programming is sometimes over my head and a list of what was where to begin with would save some money and trouble.

Event 336 triggers Alarm 44.

There has been a few posts about that recently:
[ul]
[li]Thread799-1725664[/li]
[li]Thread799-1724037[/li]
[/ul]

The events you found in the System Test Log seem to confirm the other symptoms (line taken out of service, slow response time) you have reported:

Event 820: Line driver problem. (**** indicates the port number, for example port 0231 for Line 031.)
Event 181: The DSP (Digital Signal Processor) download failed during system initialization.
Event 295: Watchdog time-out expired. (The system restarts.)​

It makes me wonder whether the actual problem is a defective software cartridge...

Thanks for the replies so far.

The phone co. said they hadn't seen any errors on the T1 since the DTI card was put in loopback. They were kind enough to give us a pots line and forwarded our main number so we can at least field customer calls until we get the parts.

The KSU I ordered will be a complete system, minus the DTI cards that we had already purchased. I should have them sometime tomorrow, depending on which "Next Day" it decides to show up. I'll update or return for more advice when I find something.

If the T1 is configured as a PRI the new system will require a new Enabler code to activate the PRI programming.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

@allworxguy

Thankfully the card is set up *T1*. I have bought those keys for a callpilot before and know they don't give them away.​

Make sure you're using a release 2 or higher NVRAM pack too!

Phonehed in Dallas

[2thumbsup]The current cartridge and the invoice for the new(to me), indicate they are both R3. Probably got a lucky break on that one.

So... Replaced the KSU, Software Cartridge/card, Fiber combo card, 4 line card, and the DTI card. The back-up took and everything seems ok. Still having the same issue. Is there any suggestions to what I tell the Phone company?

Just to rule out any of the extra modules, I disconnected the Fiber to the analog/digital modules and disconnected all phones with only one plugged in to test. Still saw the DT1 card reboot at a fairly constant rate, about every minute or two. Network log shows the same Alarm 44 +336.

<---- this guy knows just enough to really screw things up.

Have you checked to make sure that your DTI is set as the primary clock source and is not set as master?

Rick

Yeah, it's set to primary. Had the phone company back to test some more on the T1. When either end is in loopback, things are good. It's only when Our Phone system tries to talk to their switch.

We looked but couldn't find any settings for the DTI card when it is set for T1, as far as what kind of Switch it connects to. I see in the manual when it is set to PRI you have to set that option. If the DTI card is set for T1, is there a need to tell it what kind of Switch it is talking to. If so where is that found?

If you still have all the equipment that you replaced "which sounds like a complete system" why not set it up and and reset the software back to default and only build your T1 settings and a couple of phones to test with? If you still have the same issue on your bench system then it would sure seem to point to it being a telco problem either that or you need a priest and a bottle of holy water because the circuit is possessed.

Rick

[banghead]We had the Vendor on site yesterday, the system was as suggested here, rebuilt minimal system from the ground up and had the same results.

Telco has thrown every test they could think of at the T1, double checked all settings.

Today the Telco is going to run more tests and talk with their switch manufacturer. Vendor is working another scheduled case. And I will take the origonal parts to another site with a nortel switch and test the parts on a working system.

Tomorrow I will try to mediate the Vendor/Telco Debate.

Have you tested the the cable from the T1 to the DTI?

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Before I left the office last night, after the minimal build failed, I restored the system using the same file I had used when I replaced the whole system. I left a loopback plug on the Telco's T1 card.

Telco wanted to run some tests while I was out of town, so I called someone to pull the loopback plug and re-install the cabling. Magically the system came back to life, and hasn't had an error since.

Telco said they didn't change anything, and I didn't do anything that hasn't already been tried several times, after 8 days of being down, I'm going to ask the Telco tech to lie and say he found a loose wire or something. I'd feel better about it all if there was something to blame the fix on.

Many times I have had to request Telco to do a pair change even though the circuit tested ok because they can't seem to see certain types of field problems. Almost always clears the problem. Also try creating a loopback jack for your T=1 cord and test card that way. Clear test log and look for errors.

Next time you have a major issue with your phone system you should call in a vendor.....that's what we are for.
Do your company the favor and have it fixed pronto instead of "Do it yourself on a forum".

You did not indicate all the protocols in programming and if they match the carriers.
Yes you might have a bad patch cord, the first thing I would have replaced.

So blame yourself
LOL?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

@curly

Maybe you didn't read the entire thread.

Rather than go into it all again, I'll just say I was in contact with the Vendor the First day we went down, After I had the Telco check the T1. And when the Vendor was on site, they didn't find anything out that we already hadn't figured out over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back