Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE track vs. Comptia HTI+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natecl

Technical User
Dec 5, 2004
US
Hi. I am currently enrolled in a Network Engineer course that will earn me a Diploma as well as a bunch of certs. The certs I will get (vouchers for at least) are A+, Net+, Security+, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, MCDST and MCP. What I am wondering is...well ok heres a little background info first. I did exterior home improvements for years. I then tried to make the transition into anything but heavy labour. I worked retail and industrial sales and most recently I worked at a bank doing mostly admin. and data entry. With this program I am in, I believe it will be a bit of overkill considering I have no real practical experience in the network eng/admin field. I am great on computers and have one of the highest marks in my class, if not the highest. But the thing is, this course is a year and I need to get to work now. I need money and the xp. I already have A+, Net+ and soon MCP. Instead of contining with the MCSE and so on, which everyone and thier mama seems to have, I was thinking on scaling down the course I am in from one year to 4mos. which would still give me a network technician diploma and that would be the end of next month. Then pursuing the HTI+ cert as this is more up my alley in terms of xp. I like the HTI+ cert as it seems to be an emerging market as technology seeps down to the home user. MSCE cert don't seem to good for self employment, more of a corporate thing- HTI+ seems perfect for the IT guy willing to get a little dirty. I could do the learning for the HTI+ as I worked and gained some practical xp. Any other minor certs could be obtained after the fact. Or I could continue at school full time, daily from 1-6 which rules out any opportunity for work, even part time really, but gives me all those certs to hang on my wall in another 8 months or so. Then I would be a fresh graduate with a ton of certs and no xp. I really am having trouble settling this issue and would greatly appreciate some help in the decision. SHOULD I CONTINUE THE NETWORK ENGINEER DIPLOMA OR SCALE IT DOWN TO NETWORK TECHNICIAN AND GO GET SOME XP AND MONEY. I'm 27 married with kids and dont have any more time to mess around.

First of all welcome to the world of IT. If your not pulling your hair out yet, you will soon, there's a lot to take in.

Certs without experience aren't going to do you a whole lot of good. The classes will be good, cause they will teach you what you need to learn to get started. However without some work experience behind them those certs aren't going to land you the good job by them selves.

Take a look at forum656, specifically thread468-952278, thread468-953028 would be good to look at as well. Keep as eye on forum656, we are always taking about certs and what not in there.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

natecl,

my story was similar. 14 yrs building houses, got hooked on computers, taught myself programming, really liked the networking thing, wanted to find a paying job in the field to support wife and kids. after contemplating high level training, ect, i finally focused on writing code, interviewing jobs at entry level. when i landed my first job, i finally had something to put on my resume that was not based around working on friends networks, writing code for friends, ect. i made the most of that job. many years later, i have earned 2 mcsa/e's, and several other certs. many will say that certs don't mean much without experience. experience is what will get the job done. so... the sooner you can get working in IT the better. becomming a competent network engineer is a long, on going task. you have A+, Net+ and MCP... that's good foundation knowledge to get out there and do something!

good luck

scottie

Thanks guys..
Well I think I've made up my mind to cutt off the 1yr course to 4 months, and just go with the MCP, A+, and Net+ for now. The more thought I put into it, the more I know what I have to do. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you all updated.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back